Sign in to follow this  
CarlHill

2 years in, not many regional aircraft still

15 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

NextGen EMB-110

Well I fly the NestGen EMB 110 now and then, and I don't have any real issues with it. I just finished a flight into Dundee aeroport in Scotland I think it's just the sort of regional turboprop we need. Remind me again of the issues you have with it. 

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Like you said, 2 years in...............

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I love regionals airliners as they represent my favourite type of flying; doing shorter legs between 45 mins and 2 hours means I'm kept busy. The smaller airports are more likely to have interesting approaches. The lower cruising altitudes (for turboprops anyway) allow more enjoyment of the scenery. Less automation makes for more challenging flying.

My thoughts exactly.  30 mins to 45 mins. I hate going backwards with the scenery, flight modeling, etc, but I'm not giving up my CRJ200, ERJ, or Saab 340 anytime soon.

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I love regionals airliners as they represent my favourite type of flying; doing shorter legs between 45 mins and 2 hours means I'm kept busy. The smaller airports are more likely to have interesting approaches. The lower cruising altitudes (for turboprops anyway) allow more enjoyment of the scenery. Less automation makes for more challenging flying.

My thoughts exactly.  30 mins to 45 mins. I hate going backwards with the scenery, flight modeling, etc, but I'm not giving up my CRJ200, ERJ, or Saab 340 anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I think they have done their market research and have concluded that there is little viable demand for a long range business jet.

Reluctantly, if you want long range in a biz jet you'll have to use the default (modded) longitude or the BBJ from PMDG.

There's been a demand for and request for long range regional jets going back to FS2k2.  Eaglesoft cornered the market with their offerings but couldn't get access to the long-range variants.  In the FS9 days a few attempts were made to get a Gulfstream in FS9 but Gulfstream wasn't having it.  The very reason we have the Longitude in FS2020 is because of the demand and Cessna (which was always was open to FS development) had no problem giving Asobo access to their longest-range business jet.  So the demand is there, access to the real birds is the problem. 

Edited by Dillon
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

That is part of it...

I once took a flight that had a retail cost of $2,700 for $125 by using United Miles to supplement (it didn't even cost $2,500 in miles either). I flew into some tiny airport with only 1 terminal. It was the smallest plane I had ever flown in on a commercial flight, a turbo prop with about 15-20 seats. The plane type wasn't listed on my ticket, and I never figured out what kind of plane it was. It was something I had never seen before, something very very rarely used in regional flights. I am guessing it was an older beechcraft, but whatever it was, you could tell it was a "budget" commuter and it looked like it was about to fall apart. The paint job looked horrible, like it had been sitting in a junkyard for 30 years. Maybe a military version of a common commuter that the small airliner had purchased from the govt for cheap and custom modded, possibly.

Edit
Looked at images online, still don't see anything that looks exactly like it, maybe an older Beechcraft though, and the bad paint job maybe just made it seem older than it was, who knows.

Imagine trying to track these types of things down to get accurate sound recordings or to get all the data, would be difficult at best.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

34 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

That is part of it...

I once took a flight that had a retail cost of $2,700 for $125 by using United Miles to supplement (it didn't even cost $2,500 in miles either). I flew into some tiny airport with only 1 terminal. It was the smallest plane I had ever flown in on a commercial flight, a turbo prop with about 15-20 seats. The plane type wasn't listed on my ticket, and I never figured out what kind of plane it was. It was something I had never seen before, something very very rarely used in regional flights. I am guessing it was an older beechcraft (queen air maybe), but whatever it was, you could tell it was a "budget" commuter and it looked like it was about to fall apart. The paint job looked horrible, like it had been sitting in a junkyard for 30 years. Maybe a military version of a common commuter that the small airliner had purchased from the govt for cheap and custom modded, possibly.

Edit
Looked at images online, still don't see anything that looks exactly like it, maybe an older Beechcraft though, and the bad paint job maybe just made it seem older than it was, who knows.

Imagine trying to track these types of things down to get accurate sound recordings or to get all the data, would be difficult at best.

If you know the year and carrier it should be quite easy to find which aeroplane you flew on

4 hours ago, F737MAX said:

The Avro RJ is on approach from JustFlight. There are still 31 BAe 146s and 42 Avro RJs buzzing around various parts of the World.

They also have their Fokker F28s in development. The original versions first then the updated 100 & 70 in a similar way to the 146s being followed by the RJs.

Edited by Matchstick

45 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

If you know the year and carrier it should be quite easy to find which aeroplane you flew on

No idea the year. I think I might recognize it if I saw it, I've never seen a picture of it though. It looked like a cross between a DC-3 and a Beechcraft, but I am not sure what it was. It was a real piece of junk whatever it was. The only thing I remember was the co-pilot handing us bottled waters as we were getting off the plane, and saying "the coke machine is broke, better take this". There was literally nothing there at Grant County, WV. I remember having to take a taxi for 80 miles to the west. The flight was for work, I was originally supposed to fly into Pittsburgh and then get a second flight to Morgantown, but the flight was cancelled. The only ticket I could get was to Richmond, VA and then to Grant County on some unknown side airliner that was "affiliated" with United Express. So in order to make it on time, I had only one choice, was that flight and get a Taxi, then rent a car. I couldn't even rent a car at that airport, so I had to take a Taxi to the nearest rental car place that was still open (80 miles away).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

No idea the year. I think I might recognize it if I saw it, I've never seen a picture of it though. 

Maybe a Shorts 360?  Not sure if any UAL Express operators had them but US Air Express did on the east coast...

UAL Express operated a bunch of Jetstream 31/41's.

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I would like to see the Flysimware MU-2B-60, it was a great addon in FSX and P3D.

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

As I remember it, it had more of a tilt and looked more like a DC-3, but not as tall or big overall. That said, it was 15 years ago and at night, so who knows for sure. I don't remember the airliner name, but it wasn't United, it was just a miles affiliated airliner that took United Miles from United's site. Back in the old days, the United Miles program was quite a bit different and there were a lot more options, and points went a lot farther. All the programs have changed now.

It had dual turbo-props, the props were fairly large, the plane was sort of wide and kind of short. Maybe it was even only a 15 seater, but I kind of remember it being a 20-30 seater. It was somewhere in that range, I know in total there were only about 8 passengers on the plane and most of us had our own seating aisles to ourselves.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

11 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I don't know, I've had too many issues with the 737-600 lately. The FMC stops taking my edits, the brake gets stuck, the plane runs out of fuel mysteriously, gravity starts pulling the plane towards the ground when I should have plenty of forward momentum. I re-installed it, but it's the same thing. It doesn't happen all the time, but happens enough. This is with failures turned off.

That is very unusual. Are these issues present with the 700? I mean, I find the FMC cumbersome to set up the plane but I have not had these issues you've described.

6 hours ago, F737MAX said:

At some point, we're apparently going to get both an ATR 42-600 and a 72-600 from Asobo and another set of the same types from Blackbird Simulations (Milviz).
The Avro RJ is on approach from JustFlight. There are still 31 BAe 146s and 42 Avro RJs buzzing around various parts of the World.

Everything else announced that is regional-sized, I consider a little bit suspect. Especially the freeware.

This is good news. Asobo finally allowed their planes to be modded so when these are released at least they can be fixed quickly.

Though having a Dash 8 would be amazing. I loved having a dash 8 in XP but never bothered upgrading to their new version. Hopefully having an ATR can fill that void.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

6 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

That is very unusual. Are these issues present with the 700? I mean, I find the FMC cumbersome to set up the plane but I have not had these issues you've described.

I think going in and out of slew mode while in Dev mode is the trigger, but maybe Dev mode by itself. Could be one of my addons, but kind of doubt it. I will try again today and see how it does.

As an example, it would not let me enter a destination airport. It let me select it, the RNAV or LOC runways available came up in the list, but I could not click the final button. It just did nothing. So I had no way to set a destination airport, and I tried it in every manner possible (in all 3 places). It also wouldn't even let me enter STARS directly into the Flight Plan (Legs) on that flight, so the only thing I could do was set a bearing to KTEX. To top it off, I couldn't set the NAV frequency either, it wouldn't take it.

I ended up crashing in bad weather, because landing a 737 at Ktex with no NAV in a blizzard with 45 mph winds isn't the easiest landing to do. While trying to force it to take my NAV data and staring at the FMC a few seconds too long, my plane went into a spin, and sad to say, myself and all passengers were killed, and I fully blame PMDG for their deaths (not my piloting skills).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

8 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Sadly it seems my thoughts are not shared by the majority of the study-level userbase, I think for a few reasons:

That is a really interesting point with the missing automation. If I just take the daily operation without failures we usually don't want to see on a relaxed regional flight anyway, a BAe flight imho is much more study level than a 737/320 flight cause you need actually to pilot the plane and not trigger automation. Sure a nice Dash8 or ATR is still missing but the BAe 146 is a hell of a regional plane...

Cheers T.

• Upvote 1