Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Fenix A320 vs FsLabs

57 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

... and now, a gentle steer back to the topic at hand.

• Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Will MSFS be declared “dead” when MSFS24 is released?

I have a feeling that yes, MSFS2020 will effectively be declared dead by it's customer base shortly after the release of '2024.

P3D isn't dead at all. It's a completely usable piece of software. However, the vast majority of it's previous user base have declared it 'dead' and deserted it.

It's in the nature of human beings to want and demand the shiny and new. Our brains are chemically stimulated by this process. Our modern, consumer society is based on this.

As for Flightsimlabs; they seem to have got themselves up that creek. You know; the one without the paddle.

By withdrawing from the pre-release development process four years ago - for whatever reason - they have fallen way behind other high end developers.  Fenix will shortly release block two of their product representing exceptional value for money.

Flightsimlabs?  To compete, whatever they release will have to be at least equal in terms of systems,  graphic fidelity, on- screen performance and price. That's going to be pretty tough for a first release on a new platform.

They'll need to have some sort of marketing effort to compete too. The very strange Flightsimlabs website seems to be run on a take it or leave it basis, not as a vehicle for promoting their products. They will have to get their heads round a fundamental change in that too.

Can they do it?  Time will tell but the clock is not only ticking...it's actively working against them now.

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have no interest in Airbuses.

Well, this thread is (or was ...) about Airbuses ...

Edited by SierraDelta
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Interesting debate for the product not even released for MSFS. I found that very strange. Also, FSL made superior and unmatched experience in P3D and FENIX could not even compete. By many real pilots and many accounts. Not software developers or testers, pilots. So until we have final product from FSL ported to MSFS would be hard to compare.

Not mine to defend them, nor I am a "tester". I own Fenix for MSFS....nice of course but not FSL quality. Again, my opinion because I flew both by now. Different platforms indeed. As for pricing, well $80 ain't cheap and as far as I remember FSL was cheaper on launch. Anyway, will see what FSL will do. They will of course adjust their pricing due to fake (world self imposed) "inflation" so it might be same or similar pricing. What is odd is that they are "late". Why? No idea. And as of now Fenix ate their lunch and question is how that will affect everything.

In the mean time we can continue to speculate.

Cheers

Alex 

@DD_Arthur, I’ll reply briefly as you’ve gone to the trouble of posting.

3 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

It's in the nature of human beings to want and demand the shiny and new.

But that comes with disadvantages that many can accept but I cannot. I could never entertain a streaming service. The downside is as you have described. It’s only usable for as long as the owners decide. You’re effectively forced to buy the new version and hope your addons are compatible.

I have got a computer that gives me all I wish. It took two weeks to install and customise my airports. I have no desire to go through that for a very long time.

Given I fly IFR the depiction of the ground is not that great. What v5.3 has delivered satisfies me.

Back to FS Labs. I have the aircraft I have been waiting for for around five years. I’m satisfied with what I have.

I agree they’re in a difficult position as they’re late to the Airbus party for MSFS. Hopefully they’ll continue to make products people are prepared to pay for.

10 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

Well, this thread is (or was ...) about Airbuses ...

I mentioned that above. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

You've tried to steer this topic back on course...kudos!

Now this thread just reminds me about those old 1980's TV ads with kids arguing over the best peanut butter...

48 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

They don't need to shut down the servers for MSFS 2020 when MSFS 2024 comes out, because it runs on Azure cloud. Azure can scale up or down, similar to Amazon AWC.

When MSFS 2024 comes out, and people transition to MSFS 2024 but there are people still using MSFS 2020, the Azure servers for MSFS 2020 will scale dowm naturally. That is the benefit of cloud computing.

However, Microsoft may stop the markeplace for MSFS 2020, and stop development for MSFS 2020, after a few years, but just leave the MSFS 2020 servers on Azure running longer. With Azure and the ability to scale down the servers, it costs Microsoft very little money to leave the MSFS 2020 servers running.

Oh yeah forgot that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And therein is the difference between a dead sim and an older version of one that can run for as long as the owner wishes. No server, no sim.

BTW, I’m on v5.3 with no desire to install v6. I have no interest in Airbuses.

Good for you we know you like Concorde. We know P3D is primarily for military use but for many it’s a dead sim.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I have a feeling that yes, MSFS2020 will effectively be declared dead by it's customer base shortly after the release of '2024.

P3D isn't dead at all. It's a completely usable piece of software. However, the vast majority of it's previous user base have declared it 'dead' and deserted it.

It's in the nature of human beings to want and demand the shiny and new. Our brains are chemically stimulated by this process. Our modern, consumer society is based on this.

As for Flightsimlabs; they seem to have got themselves up that creek. You know; the one without the paddle.

By withdrawing from the pre-release development process four years ago - for whatever reason - they have fallen way behind other high end developers.  Fenix will shortly release block two of their product representing exceptional value for money.

Flightsimlabs?  To compete, whatever they release will have to be at least equal in terms of systems,  graphic fidelity, on- screen performance and price. That's going to be pretty tough for a first release on a new platform.

They'll need to have some sort of marketing effort to compete too. The very strange Flightsimlabs website seems to be run on a take it or leave it basis, not as a vehicle for promoting their products. They will have to get their heads round a fundamental change in that too.

Can they do it?  Time will tell but the clock is not only ticking...it's actively working against them now.

FSLabs was never cheap from the start $149.95 was the start price for the base A320 and still is. Quoted wrong person should of been CYYZ

Edited by carlanthony24

13 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

FSLabs was never cheap from the start $149.95 was the start price for the base A320 and still is.

Indeed. Therein lies another hurdle they'll need to overcome. FSLABS was built and developed for P3D. In mass-market terms that was a pretty exclusive market. The bar to get into P3D alone was pretty high in terms of the cost and licensing system. Would I be correct in thinking FSLABS support for home cockpit builders is second to none? That comes at a cost.

In MSFS and it's more closed SDK you simply can't hack your way through it to innovate in the way P3D was designed to do. Do they spend a lot of development time trying to support home cockpit builders and thus have to sustain a higher price for their product when the vast majority of this new mass market are not interested in this.

MSFS and it's mass market appeal has swept the model of exclusivity and licensing; "reassuringly expensive"  away.

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 1

The Fenix development team feel like a breath of fresh air while FSlabs seem to be tired and set in their old ways. Just compare their websites and methods of communication. MSFS has moved things on significantly and FSlabs are going to have to seriously up their game and marketing to compete. Their aircraft oblique eye wateringly expensive were arguably the best in P3D. However, no matter what some people may say, P3D has really very little to offer going forward and will only be left further behind with the advent of MSFS 2024. Even though I own the entire FSlabs aircraft collection, I retired them all when I uninstalled P3D back in 2020.  

Edited by rocketlaunch
grammer
  • Like 12

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

40 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Indeed. Therein lies another hurdle they'll need to overcome. FSLABS was built and developed for P3D. In mass-market terms that was a pretty exclusive market. The bar to get into P3D alone was pretty high in terms of the cost and licensing system. Would I be correct in thinking FSLABS support for home cockpit builders is second to none? That comes at a cost.

In MSFS and it's more closed SDK you simply can't hack your way through it to innovate in the way P3D was designed to do. Do they spend a lot of development time trying to support home cockpit builders and thus have to sustain a higher price for their product when the vast majority of this new mass market are not interested in this.

MSFS and it's mass market appeal has swept the model of exclusivity and licensing; "reassuringly expensive"  away.

The fact Fenix are paying the cost of licensing for external hardware says a lot really.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, rocketlaunch said:

The Fenix development team feel like a breath of fresh air while FSlabs seem to be tired and set in their old ways. Just compare their websites and methods of communication. MSFS has moved things on significantly and FSlabs are going to have to seriously up their game and marketing to compete. Their aircraft oblique eye wateringly expensive where arguably the best in P3D. However, no matter what some people may say, P3D has really very little to offer going forward and will only be left further behind with the advent of MSFS 2024. Even though I own the entire FSlabs aircraft collection, I retired them all when I uninstalled P3D back in 2020.  

Exactly this only thing I did not own was the Concorde I have no interest in it.

11 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Exactly this only thing I did not own was the Concorde I have no interest in it.

good  thing its  one of  the hardest aircraft  to master  🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Difficult to compare as the Fenix A320 is a reality while we still don't know what FsLabs is working on right now.

It might be a difficult time for them as their income might be low with nothing yet released on msfs and probably low sales on the P3D market.

I hope for them that they are working on an A330 because the A320 market is quite saturated right now. If they don't change their price policy, it might be difficult to counter Fenix with a $100-$150 A320.

• Like 3