Sign in to follow this  
jason74

MSFS Payware aiports price creeping up?

Ive noticed since the release of MSFS that payware airports have slowly been creeping up in price to what we where paying in P3D. I know you have rising  API and some off the payware airports are more detailed then ever before,  but it seems they where cheaper in the early days of MSFS

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jason Richards

I've noticed the trend also. Some lower detailed developers are charging the same price as the higher quality airport developers. 

Higher Details
KLAX - $24.78
KDTW - $23.78

Middle Details
KAUS - $20.54

Lower Details
KMEM - $22.90 

There is no way KMEM comes close to KLAX/KDTW. Pricing was great in the beginning but are now starting to creep up in the $20+ range. 

In the beginning you got scenery like FlyTampa, Fligthbeam, FSDreamteam for mid teen prices or lower.  

Edited by Wise87
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I've noticed this too. I was about to buy another airport from the iniBuilds site and stopped short after I saw the price for a minor regional airfield.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Yes, I bought KMEM because it is my Home site. That said, I had been using decent freeware but it was important to me to get something a little nicer. I rarely purchase airports, aircraft or scenery unless they really seem worth it to me now. I had bought a lot of packages early on that I tried them once or twice and mothballed them. Listened to too much hype from users giving a great review. The only hype I haven't regretted is the HYPE H145! 

• Like 1

Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi  i9900K, 64gb memory, 3070ti

Building: X670 Aorus Elite AX, X9750x3d, GSkill DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 32gb, Gibabyte 3070ti, Noctua NH D15

I always keep my eye open for sales.  Higher prices up front usually mean there will be a big markdown down the road.  The MS Store wishlist feature is nice to keep an eye on things.  There's a lot of great deals out there as long as you avoid the new launches. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guys everything costs more nowadays.  It takes a lot of work to make these things.  Heck it takes me days or sometimes weeks to make a nice repaint (and it's for free!)

I guess you can always vote with your wallet.  For me though any scenery under 30 USD that's of reasonable quality is pretty much an easy buy hehe.  

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

53 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Guys everything costs more nowadays.  It takes a lot of work to make these things.  Heck it takes me days or sometimes weeks to make a nice repaint (and it's for free!)

I guess you can always vote with your wallet.  For me though any scenery under 30 USD that's of reasonable quality is pretty much an easy buy hehe.  

Everything might cost more but income certainly is not increasing at the same rate, or even close to. So the spread is widening from what used to be considered fair/affordable. $10-$20 is what I’d expect for the majority of sceneries for MSFS and is what my personal cut off limit is. But that’s obviously just my personal limit. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

Freight Pilot

2 hours ago, Hatch76 said:

Everything might cost more but income certainly is not increasing at the same rate, or even close to. 

Which is why this trend is so self-defeating. If your customers have roughly the same amount of income as previously while everything they buy (including non-optional stuff like housing and food!) costs more, what do you think happens to the number of them who buy your addon airports when you raise the prices by 50%?

I was already mostly a “wait for the 40% sale” guy, but I suspect this price trend is going to bring me a lot of fresh company in that boat. 🙂

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Which is why this trend is so self-defeating. If your customers have roughly the same amount of income as previously while everything they buy (including non-optional stuff like housing and food!) costs more, what do you think happens to the number of them who buy your addon airports when you raise the prices by 50%?

I was already mostly a “wait for the 40% sale” guy, but I suspect this price trend is going to bring me a lot of fresh company in that boat. 🙂

Right on.  I am usually a "buy on sale" type of person anyway.  There are a few I would consider buying if not-on-sale, like FlyTampa, FlightBeam, maybe Pyreegue, or anything by Jo Erlend Sund.

I think the scenery-buying user base is smaller than some devs initially thought it might be.  For example I'd bet lots of $$$$ that the airplane-buying market is a lot larger.  Why do we think LatinVFR made that A321?  Things that make you go "hmm...".   Sure a lot of us would buy scenery (except for Bob) but anyone reading this is only like 5% of the user base if that.  You'd think with few buyers the price would decrease (supply increases...) but I'm not sure that works with our niche-of-a-niche hobby.  I'm no economist though.  I hated Econ101 in college, and it hated me too.

Another thing. I just flew into SBGL (Rio-Galeao) and it's one of the MS/Asobo enhanced airports in my version...and it's all right.  It would make me think twice about buying an aftermarket SBGL unless it was Paolo Ricardo or something like that.

• Like 3

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5 hours ago, Hatch76 said:

but income certainly is not increasing at the same rate, or even close to.

3 hours ago, honanhal said:

Who said that all flight sim developers have any business acumen?

When Double T charge nearly 20% more for their OMAA scenery than Aerosoft does for EBBR (or any Flightbeam or FlyTampa scenery), you know they haven't factored in market dynamics, nor that flight simming is discretionary spending.

The only issue is that despite inflation hitting our pockets, people seem to keep buying bang average or even lower quality products at these increased prices.

Think it will take a few more months for significantly reduced sales volumes to show up for developers. However, those developers charging higher prices will just keep them there because they only know the cost+ pricing model.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

9 hours ago, kerosene31 said:

I always keep my eye open for sales.  Higher prices up front usually mean there will be a big markdown down the road.  The MS Store wishlist feature is nice to keep an eye on things.  There's a lot of great deals out there as long as you avoid the new launches. 

This. 

There used to be this advertising in the 90s: "If you paid full price, you paid too much.!

That's the credo a miser like me lives by. 

Another motto: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

My purchase of sceneries, including payware addons, has decreased dramatically since MSFS was launched. 

1. Check to see how the default looks
2. Is it a handcrafted airport (for example, ORBX is selling OMDB for the ridiculous price of 30 bucks --> the handcrafted version in the Premium version of MSFS works just fine for me)
3. Do you actually fly there often? No point spending double digits on an airport you fly to once in a blue moon.
4. Is the airport available on flightsim.to?
5. Don't buy full price, wait for sales
6. Take advantage of the frequent sales on the in-game Marketplace
7. Check to see whether the same airport is available from another developer
Example: Captain 7's EDDN (Nürnberg) costs around 17 bucks, the same airport is available from Fred's Airports for about a fiver --> the difference in quality is not significant enought to warrant paying 3 times as much. 

Remember: A fool and his money are soon parted.

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 9

The flightsim world seems to be having a big of a shake up after FS2020 and all the new players appearing and flightsim is opening up to a far larger audience especially with game pass and marketplace and availability on consoles rather than needing high end PCs and all sorts of desk bound peripherals. The marketplace has massively increased the reach of these dlc airports/scenery I think devs would be better to sell their products for less and get more sales than the constant fortnightly sales in the marketplace. I expect many of us just wait for the sales now 

I expect there’s loads of airports someone would buy for 5 or 10 units of money but are currently more like 15 - 20 and only getting the people who buy lots or really want that item. 

What the marketplace needs though is a proper review system rather than just stars so buyers can be a bit more aware of what’s going on. 

• Upvote 1

I am happy with default airports and will probably save $1,000s of dollars. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am happy with default airports and will probably save $1,000s of dollars. 

Same.

I was a serial airport buyer back in the FSX days; bought almost everything that came out.  Now, two years into MSFS ownership, I have bought two addon airports.   EGNT from Orbx as it's my local international airport, and Fishburn (non icao) from Taburet as it's my local GA / Microlight field.  Bought these because I know them well and wanted the added realism of buildings and layout that I recognise. 

I only use Orbx EGNT part time too, as it's fine for GA flying but in the more complex aircraft, I see a FPS loss of 8-10 FPS, which - with a modest system - I'm not prepared to sacrifice.

For everything else, the defaults or freeware offerings from flightsim.to (I have about 20 of those) do me just fine.   After all, for me personally, it's all about being in the air, over the beautiful scenery. 

I think I'd only ever consider buying airports that I know IRL personally. 

• Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)