Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

Is Frame Generation Good For MSFS?

1 hour ago, psolk said:

My 4090 is now on order and I have a 5K G-Sync Compatible ultrawide capable of 120hz at 5k or 144hz at 4k.  With my 3080 I lock it to 5k/60Hz because otherwise I got g-sync flashing.     

Interested to see what the 4090 does compared to the 3080 and if I land at 5k/120hz or remain at 5k/60 with no FPS drops (in theory...) 

It will dominate it.  Just don't forget to enable HAGS (for frame gen) and if needed set a max frame rate with NCP.  I set 143hz but that may not even be a needed setting.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

7 hours ago, MrRoper said:

Nice video of the smoothness frame generation can bring. I'd call that mid-40s to mid-50s on the arrival, dropping to low 40s on the approach and mid-30s over the apron. Smooth the whole way regardless of those numbers.

Like @SierraDelta, I use PSXT with RealTraffic and have generally found that it's quite taxing on the system, but higher FPS on what I generally think is the toughest area in MSFS (iniBuilds KLAX with 30% ground traffic and 30 NM for traffic in the air). I get 54-58 FPS on the ground and on takeoff. EGLL tends to be higher.

The 4090 is really a game changer and keeps me using DX12 (TAA, like others) despite the frequent ground texture anomalies.

Edited by mmcmah
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, laserit said:

I'm running a Samsung Odyssey G9 since last year, runs great and looks fantastic with a 4090 or a 3090. I always used to chinse on the monitor, after having this one I won't do that again, what a difference. Otherwise, it's like buying a great amplifier and matching it with crappy speakers.

Hey Floyd can you post a photo of say an airliner cockpit view lined up on the runway, and also one at say 5K feet up?   I've thought about going wider but I use a 34" curved display and going out to 49" with that aspect ratio might do strange things with distortion, no?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

19 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

The 4090 is really a game changer and keeps me using DX12 (TAA, like others) despite the frequent ground texture anomalies.

new update today:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/aircraft-avionics-i-release-notes-1-30-12-0/572740

"Fixed secondary aerials sometimes overridden by Bing aerial on terrain with photogrammetry"

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

8 hours ago, MrRoper said:

I'd be interested to know the rest of your settings.  I can't seem to get close to this framerate with a 4090 and 5800X3D.  It looks like you aren't even using DLSS2 which makes it even more impressive.  

I have not seen one person produce a CapFrameX showing that the 4090 reduces CPU stutters when you dip FPS even with frame generation on.  That removes the subjective concept of smoothness.  Not saying people don't like it or it isn't good for their particular scenario.  "It's smoother, double the frames" is subjective.  

In my experience, you absolutely have to have a GYSNC  monitor for it to not tear.  I tried it on a 2017 60hz OLED and it was rough with lots of tearing. 

Yes if you are flying around with a consistent 60 FPS with no CPU stutters  it will probably feel smoother with minor artifacts when turning your head.  It will not make iniScene KLAX in the Fenix with FSTL on final approach a stutter free experience.  We did extensive testing when it first came out in a couple of threads and CapFrameX doesn't lie.  You get the same CPU stutters.

The 4090 can handle A LOT of pixels though. It's a beast in VR if you are using something like the Varjo Aero (which is a dream experience).  I get 30+ FPS pushing 29.5 million pixels. Lower that resolution a little and I get 50+ FPS and it's insane clarity.  If you experience that you will throw all your monitors and 2005 trackIR junk in the trash.  It's not your grandpas 2017 screen door VR.

My 3840x1600 monitor has no issue holding 75 FPS with ultra settings.  The GPU hardly breaks a sweat. 

Edited by TravelRunner404
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mmcmah said:

Nice video of the smoothness frame generation can bring. I'd call that mid-40s to mid-50s on the arrival, dropping to low 40s on the approach and mid-30s over the apron. Smooth the whole way regardless of those numbers.

Like @SierraDelta, I use PSXT with RealTraffic and have generally found that it's quite taxing on the system, but higher FPS on what I generally think is the toughest area in MSFS (iniBuilds KLAX with 30% ground traffic and 30 NM for traffic in the air). I get 54-58 FPS on the ground and on takeoff. EGLL tends to be higher.

I think your missing the the point. That video will tell you nothing about the actual game play experience the player had. MSFS built in frame counter is showing a frame rate in the high 40's 50's in the top right hand corner. in the top left hand corner RTSS (in think) is showing the frame rate of about 100 to 120. In other words the Graphics card is reporting a fps double what what the sim is reporting. (frame generation). Even so it doesn't mater. That video is null and void (as are nearly all videos purporting to showcase performance) because it is trying to demo what 100 to 120 FPS looks like in a 60FPS video. Duh!

The real question for Flight simmers is does 120 fps look better than 60fps and only if they have a display that has a refresh rate over 60hz. Because with a modern 4K TV if that's what you are using you can achieve the same level of frame generation as you can with a 4090 with any other card. Exactly double what the game produces provided you will be satisfied with 60fps

Edited by FBW737

43 minutes ago, Noel said:

Hey Floyd can you post a photo of say an airliner cockpit view lined up on the runway, and also one at say 5K feet up?   I've thought about going wider but I use a 34" curved display and going out to 49" with that aspect ratio might do strange things with distortion, no?

No distortion whatsoever. You just get a wider view angle and any open windows can also be place on the edge of your vision.

Imho a TIR with a Track Clip pro is a must have also. It works pretty much flawlessly. I've been using that for years.

All told, Its the kind of immersive experience I live for 😉

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

46 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

The 4090 can handle A LOT of pixels though. It's a beast in VR if you are using something like the Varjo Aero (which is a dream experience).  I get 30+ FPS pushing 29.5 million pixels. Lower that resolution a little and I get 50+ FPS and it's insane clarity.  If you experience that you will throw all your monitors and 2005 trackIR junk in the trash.  It's not your grandpas 2017 screen door VR.

My 3840x1600 monitor has no issue holding 75 FPS with ultra settings.  The GPU hardly breaks a sweat. 

I'm really curious about the varjo aero (and the pimax crystal).  The reverb G2 which I own now is pretty good but the clarity still feels about like 1080i.  There's no screen door effect but outside of the sweet spot it looks not so great.  My 4080 is doing great on dlss with 150 scale in OXR.

I've got a 27" 1440p 144hz and flightsim looks incredible on it.  It was a massive upgrade from my 23" 1080p.  

What was your previous VR headset?  I would love to trial the Aero and see if it's worth the price over the G2 - I believe my 4080 would run it fine.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

I would love to trial the Aero and see if it's worth the price over the G2

I would wait 2 months for first feedback on the Pimax Crystal. I don't see anything bigger on the Varjo except price.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

5 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Given a 4XXX series card and a GSYNC monitor does frame gen still suffer from the main thread bottlekneck?

sp

I mean I'm CPU limited right now but with frame gen I'm easily in triple digits unless it's the heaviest of addons.  I've got a 12700K.  You'll always have a limitation whether it's video or CPU 

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |