Sign in to follow this  
NismoRR

Best payware airports in Europe?

9 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

There was an Austrian one I bought for flying in the Alps....

Digital Design Salzburg is excellent!

It's on sale at ORBX, but I watched Filbert's review of the scenery, and he has significant performance issues. 

Edited by Ricardo41

RDPresets Gibraltar 

IniScene Heathrow (has VDGS)

RDPresets Rotterdam

RDPresets Naples

BMW Genova

FT Athens

Simwings Hamburg

FT Corfu

Scenery TR Designs Istanbul

BMW and FranceVFR Marseille

AS Brussels (Jo Erlund)

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Brussels and everything Fly Tampa is top notch. 

There are many other great sceneries, most of which have been mentioned. I would also add LFLL (Digital Design) to that list. 

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I have purchased only two airports, KDEN and YVR. Denver is my home airport, and it was really messed up. But i have a hard time dropping ~ $20 per airport because once i start doing that I can easily drop hundreds on airports. Of course the add-on airports look great, but wow does the cost add up over time, not to mention storage space requirements. But kudos to those that can buy and maintain so many add-ons.  

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

EKCH Kastrup Denmark is great, so are ESSB Bromma Sweden (ORBX).

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I think the best airport is Jo Erlund's EBBR, textures of buildings and runways are just great. But it is normally a bit heavy at fps.

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

Gatwick is payware quality but freeware 

https://flightsim.to/file/5784/gatwick-egkk-ultra-star-edition-phase-1-0

It was updated this month (about every 4 weeks or so there seems to be a new version by mkvy. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

In my opinion EBBR represents today the gold standard. Truly immersive and detailed.

FlyTampa (waiting for EHAM) and Jetstream Design my other favorites scenery developer in terms of quality:

LGAV FT

LGKR FT

LFPO JD

LIML JD

LICJ/LICG/LICD JD

Also very enjoyable Iniscene EGLL (good optimization with the last builds) and BMW sceneries (LICC in example) but a little step behind FT and JD 

PS: Also Latin VFR LEMD is a great scenery but a little bit heavy, I hope for a future optimization.

To be mentioned also, as a nice European airport, 29Palm Scenery LGMK

Edited by fra147
  • Like 1

Orbx are having a sale, so I went through their catalogue to see whether anything would strike my fancy. I have to say, I was quite disappointed at the quality of some of their airports. Some are quite good, many are several rungs below some of the great freeware airports available on flightsim.to. 

Overall, my sense is that Orbx just isn't delivering the quality stuff anymore. 

For example, I was interested in purchasing Rome-Fiumicino, but the MK version looks terrible. DD's Salzburg, OTOH, which I bought, looks decent. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Orbx are having a sale, so I went through their catalogue to see whether anything would strike my fancy. I have to say, I was quite disappointed at the quality of some of their airports. Some are quite good, many are several rungs below some of the great freeware airports available on flightsim.to. 

Overall, my sense is that Orbx just isn't delivering the quality stuff anymore. 

For example, I was interested in purchasing Rome-Fiumicino, but the MK version looks terrible. DD's Salzburg, OTOH, which I bought, looks decent. 

I tend to agree.  The days of beautiful orbx scenery have come to an end.  Two of my early msfs sceneries, KBUR and KSBA look like p3d ports.  

There are still a few airports sold by them that appear pretty nice though.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 3/19/2023 at 10:52 AM, RobJC said:

Of course the add-on airports look great, but wow does the cost add up over time, not to mention storage space requirements.

It does add up. It also doesn't help that on average, the default airports stink. What I have done is at least buy a lot of major hubs. It doesn't help I buy a lot of European airports but fly a lot of American routes. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 1:21 AM, Konterhalbe said:

Oh, well, I'm really really picky when it comes to addon airports. I've got a lot of different criteria an addon has to match. Some of those criterias are...

Thanks you for taking the time to share your criteria - a man after my own heart... I bet you have a spreadsheet too!

Applying the information you have provided will go a long way to avoiding disappointment.

I am a member of two virtual airlines and only fly IFR (A320, B737-800) in Europe.

Therefore, when considering any new purchase one of the first things I do is to check the availability of flights in the VA's.

Many of my purchases have been influenced by FilbertFlies and VirtualAirlinePilot excellent YouTube reviews but aviation forums often provide additional user experiences, comments and opinions.

Lately, I also check the availability of a GSX Pro Profile which can sometimes tip the scales in a neck and neck situation!

I find the most difficult decisions tend to occur when there is more than one rendition of the scenery available especially if one of them is currently on sale. 

• Like 1

i9-12900K 3.20GHz | Z690 Hero | 64Gb DDR5 5200MHz | RTX3090 O24G | 2TB Firecuda 530 M.2 | RM1000x | H170i ELITE | Corsair 7000D | Samsung Neo G9 | TrackIR | ButtKicker | Honeycomb Bravo | TM TCA Boeing & Sidestick | MFG Crosswinds | Logitech Multi/Radio Panels | Win 10 | MSFS 2020 | (revised May 2023)