Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

ATR is out

Question - I would figure it's normal to use beta range with the ATR to slow down on the ground, but when I do that, I get a ton of cascading master cautions (DC GEN, ACW). Assuming this isn't normal, is it not normal to be using beta either?

Is it just me or is the sound of this plane comparably low in the outside view? With just one engine running, e.g. when taxiing to the gate, you can barely hear the engine noise in the outside view...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

6 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

I have weather radar working fine in the ATR (not sure about other aircraft). Just be aware that it shows *rainfall* - not just any clouds.

Isn't that how weather radar works, return precipitation, not cloud (water vapour)?

spacer.png

https://safetyfirst.airbus.com/optimum-use-of-weather-radar/

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

9 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Isn't that how weather radar works, return precipitation, not cloud (water vapour)?

Absolutely - yes - and a great diagram - thanks!

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

The source article I linked to below the diagram I found really interesting, I learnt a lot as weather radar simulation in the vast majority of flight simulator products is patchy at best and that's the only experience of WXR I have. I think with the current Asobo implementation (such as on the ATR) is more like a satellite feed into the cockpit; you don't get things like radar shadow and tilt doesn't make any difference since you're looking from top down (plan view) rather than horizontally?

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

7 minutes ago, ilpagaia said:

Does the Weather Radar work in the Asobo ATR?

Even though (I think) I have it turned on, it says WX OFF in the MFD. But, I've seen it work in videos.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

10 hours ago, mspencer said:

Question - I would figure it's normal to use beta range with the ATR to slow down on the ground, but when I do that, I get a ton of cascading master cautions (DC GEN, ACW). Assuming this isn't normal, is it not normal to be using beta either?

Indeed, it is not normal: You use the brakes.

52 minutes ago, asanosho said:

Indeed, it is not normal: You use the brakes.

Do you mean in real life ATR’s are slowed down in taxi using brakes as opposed to beta range?  I had been wondering what the real procedure is.  One of my favourite things about the Majestic Q400 was how joyful it was to taxi using the thrust levers only, no brakes.  But of course these are two different aircraft…

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

15 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Do you mean in real life ATR’s are slowed down in taxi using brakes as opposed to beta range?  I had been wondering what the real procedure is.  One of my favourite things about the Majestic Q400 was how joyful it was to taxi using the thrust levers only, no brakes.  But of course these are two different aircraft…

Totally agree.  Loved not using the brakes 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Most people seem happy with the new patch and that's great, but for me it's still a bit of a hit and miss, i just can't trust that autopilot and i find that frustrating because i really would 'love to love' 💗 this plane as i said in a previous post

simple flight if someone is bored and want to replicate maybe one day : LIMJ UNIT8K TORTU AKUTI NORKA SOUKA BISKI LFKF  (RNAV-W approach)

• first thing, in pre-flight when selecting the approach the transitions are missing (there should be 3 to choose from : BISKI, SOUKA and VAVIT) ... no big deal, and maybe user error
  • departure, it misses a waypoint, maybe because turn was a bit to tight, really no prob i do a little DTO .. maybe user error again since that departure is maybe a bit special but well other planes i tried have no problem with it
  • then until TOC all fine
  • shortly before TOD i enabled VNAV (only when i saw the indicator appearing otherwise i've read hell can breaks down 😱), i then also moved down altitude to 3000ft .. i then needed to click 5 times before the mode VPATH mode finally got enabled, really can't understand that VNAV in this plane is such a pain for me at times (other times it's okish), ok no prob let's say user error once again
  • arriving soon at SOUKA, all seem fine in the FP (first screen)
  • arrived at SOUKA ... haven't touched anything but planes starts to turn right and does a full 180 turns (2nd screen), then continues straight in the wrong direction (3rd screen) while still being in LNAV mode and should be trakcing the BISKI waypoint that is on the complete opposite direction. (i did the flight twice, twice the same problem but the first time it turned left, just random stuff)

well as much as i would love to like it, unfortunately for me the AP is just so unreliable that it destroys my pleasure to use the plane, sometimes it works sometimes not. You have to babysit it all the time and when it goes bad you don't really understand why, if the real AP was like this no one would use it 🙃. An AP should be something you can trust in difficult situations, not something that works 'more or less'.

I also tried some RNAV/RNP approaches ... sometimes fairly ok, sometimes just a bit too low, sometimes just a bit too high, sometime just a bit missaligned to the right or to the left. Most won't care obviously and will tell me to fly it by hand (which is ok but i'm testing the AP since it's there and the purpose of this post 🙈). For me just i get completely random results and nothing is 100% reliable. I know it's probably hard to program all that properly, but when you see the quality of the Working Title autopilot you can only be let down with this one.

Then obviously i do the same flight with a default plane powered by Working Title and everything works 100% perfectly all the time without any of the issues above. Just a bit sad that they haven't used the WT framework for the ATR but probably adapted the one of the CRJ which is also known to be a bit 'wonky' at times.

Some care about having an EFB, some care about being able to open the doors, some care about the the cabin being modelled, well i mainly just care about the AP being realistic and i hope very hard, without too much hope, that future patches will bring it up to near WT level 😁

Friendly rant off (honestly i don't care too much there's so much great stuff in MSFS, it's just that i was so eagearly waiting for the ATR), time to enjoy the weekend !! 🍻🥂

0k2nBIY.jpg

ZXn4YXU.jpg

0V2CFdC.jpg

Edited by Bad_T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

That post is incorrect. I located this in the FCOM, p 537 linked below:

- Use of brakes during taxiing may be very much reduced by systematic use of a small amount of reverse when deceleration is needed.

https://aviation-is.better-than.tv/atr72fcom.pdf

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 10:44 AM, Fiorentoni said:

Stand procedure before TO in real ATR is: pitch mode engaged (2x IAS button), HDG engaged, LNAV armed.
After takeoff immediately hit IAS and then VNAV if you like, LNAV will engage automatically.

This works but you still have to manually engage the "Nose up" wheel to get the FD to display the vertical reference at the correct position (7.5 degrees).  Not a big deal but honestly surprised at how long it takes to get it there.

Edited by MNORM

On 4/29/2023 at 3:01 AM, Bad_T said:

Tried my beloved RNP02 approach at SKPS that i usually use as benchmark to see how much i can trust the autopilot (who cares apart from me i guess 🙊).

and wooops looks like it shares a bit of code with CRJ 😁 ...

The CRJ can’t fly RNP approaches in real life, which is correctly replicated in the sim by Aerosoft. 👍