Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

ATR is out

Twitchy?  An ATR?!

That's hilarious.  No more lumbering pig of a turbo prop was ever built.

No VNAV or even a working autopilot?  What's even the point of releasing something like this?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Andrew Crowley

3 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

even a working autopilot?

Autopilot works.

Just watched Chewwy do a flight with it.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Autopilot works.

Just watched Chewwy do a flight with it.

No VNAV coupling, unable to fly a hold course reversal etc... Certainly doesn't sound like it works correctly.  And those are officially acknowledged bugs, not user opinion...

This is a big nope from me.  Not that I expected much after the Twin Otter debacle, but still... Asobo should have known better than to make "expert level" claims...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

I'm holding off on this from what I'm reading here. Yes, the price is great, but you want stuff to work properly regardless of how may features it has or does not have.

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

I took the ATR for a spin around Bora Bora... and yeap it needs some work... Some of the issues I found are: lnav magenta tracking, vnav when reaching cruise altitude, unable to set the misapp altitude during a RNAV app (after final app fix) without the plane climbing to the misapp alt, following the takeoff perf on the tablet the plane tendency is to raise nose before reaching V1... but even with all that, it's a fun plane to fly...

I'm hoping that all those issues will be a thing of the past in a few months...

spacer.png

• Like 1

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

the flightplan format is very similar to the aerosoft Airbus/CRJ. I was able to import simbrief files in those formats that I put into the work folder.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

No VNAV coupling, unable to fly a hold course reversal etc... Certainly doesn't sound like it works correctly.  And those are officially acknowledged bugs, not user opinion...

This is a big nope from me.  Not that I expected much after the Twin Otter debacle, but still... Asobo should have known better than to make "expert level" claims...

What do you mean with "No VNAV" coupling? 

On top of Descent it will follow the vnav profile. And ATR's doesn't have an auto throttle, so you manage the speed yourself. 

• Like 3

I watched a few videos. It looked very touchy (up/down porpoising, lots of PIO) during takeoff and landing. I know ASOBO still has problems in this area, but for a plane like the ATR it really shouldn't.

• Like 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

So I took it for a quick ride, manual flight for the most part with some basic AP turns and climbs, just starting up the engines and go. It felt good handflying, not twitchy at all. On contrast I found the CRJ to be much more twitchy. Actually overall it felt just like CRJ-level all over, which for 13 € is absolutely fine. There was nothing that stood out to me negatively, though of course some things might show up when I try a full IFR flight. But as for the overall foundation this is a no brainer for 13€ in my opinion.
I also have yet to find a switch that doesn't flip. Also most I flipped had some immediate effect. That said I've never ever been on an ATR in real life, let alone piloting it, so I might have missed some "wrong" stuff. But again, nothing that felt "wrong" in those first 10 minutes playing around with it.

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have almost 1/2 dozen planes that I never fly anymore already. I am just going to focus on the 5 I fly all the time now and stop buying aircraft that I will fly once or twice, and then put in storage. 

Thanks for answering a question that no one asked. 😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maxis said:

Yes i agree but this is a different developer and this dev has some history..

Yes. As having delivered a very fine ATR for FS9 and FSX previously.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Anyone knows what does flashing "select lnav" message mean?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

the flightplan format is very similar to the aerosoft Airbus/CRJ. I was able to import simbrief files in those formats that I put into the work folder.

Thanks for this; so we can create a Flight plan in simbreif and export the flight plan in MSFS crj format and we can use that in the Asobo atr?  Is this the way?

Simon

After reading all these 6 pages, i hope that Black Bird (Milviz)  will continue the development of thier ATR.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Real Deraps