Sign in to follow this  
ttbq1

P3D V5.4 is available

VR crashes P3D 5.4 right away when switching to it.

spacer.png

I'm still on sitting on the fence wondering whether to upgrade from v5.3 or not and have been watching this thread for several days trying to convince myself that it's worth it. I saw yesterday, however, that a fairly prominent 'YouTuber' thinks he can see improvements because he can increase his settings by a notch and still maintain FPS and smoothness. Is anyone else able to confirm this? It might help the rest of us decide whether to go for it or not, now that most of the necessary add-ons are compatible. Thanks for your comments. 

Edited by ang58
typo

2 hours ago, ang58 said:

I saw yesterday, however, that a fairly prominent 'YouTuber' thinks he can see improvements because he can increase his settings by a notch and still maintain FPS and smoothness.

Random person on Internet has vague feelings that they might see highly subjective and unquantifiable improvements?

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

So I personally, after reading many many posts, don't see a single plausible reason why I should update to 5.4 !
The only possible reason: always be up to date !
My current opinion with a stable 5.3 version: never change a running system 😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

kind regards, ggerolamo

spacer.png                       spacer.png

4 hours ago, ggerolamo said:

So I personally, after reading many many posts, don't see a single plausible reason why I should update to 5.4 !

Yes, I am happy with 5.3 as well. Might not upgrade at all- perhaps even when v6 arrives.

5 hours ago, ggerolamo said:

Just goes to show you how INDIVIDUAL COMPUTER SYSTEMS matter.  Got 5.4 the day it came out and have had ZERO problems with it.  It is so much better than 5.3 for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/8/2023 at 8:22 AM, blaunarwal said:

I installed 5.4 yesterday. I did a full uninstall of 5.3 and full reinstall of the new version. I noticed, disabled files like default boat and aircraft traffic were not replaced with enabled files as before. Maybe the installler checks the files and recognizes files having another extension like .off or similar. Nice not to have to disable them again and again.

Interesting. I did also this and I have to disable the (new) traffic files again. No big deal though.

v5.4 is running a bit more smooth as before, e.g. less occasional stutters at busy places.

brgds, Ron

Flying P3Dv5 with PMDG 737 NGXu, 747v3, 777; QW 787; Orbx; Chaseplane, AI Lights Reborn Pro, Lots of AI, AIController

Visit www.airlinesim.aero

For me the fix of wheels floating above the tarmac at some add on airports is well worth the upgrade. Thanks for that LM. I see absolutely nothing broken by the upgrade and am glad I went for it 

Vic green

6 hours ago, Ronaldo1978 said:

Interesting. I did also this and I have to disable the (new) traffic files again. No big deal though.

v5.4 is running a bit more smooth as before, e.g. less occasional stutters at busy places.

On my system, I still have an enormous drop (down to 2 to 3 FPS) when approaching a very complex airport or surrounding scenery.

Can't really say it runs smoother. If it does, then my old eyes can't see it.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

8 hours ago, spilok said:

It is so much better than 5.3 for me.

What exactly is better - I would be really interested ?

• Like 3

kind regards, ggerolamo

spacer.png                       spacer.png

Hello,
I've been running the latest V5 on my desktop with no problems. I have a gaming laptop which I use for most of the time for personal reasons. My question is if V5 will run on my laptop since it only have a 4GB GTX 1650 (+ i5 9300HF + 16 GB RAM). I can run MSFS and DCS with medium settings with no problems. Can i expect to run v5 as well on this laptop? BTW I'm using basic ORBX LC and a few airports and aircrafts addons.
Thanks

PS: I forgot to mention that I've P3D v4.3 running in the same laptop with good performance.

Edited by pedrotrindade

2 hours ago, pedrotrindade said:

Hello,
I've been running the latest V5 on my desktop with no problems. I have a gaming laptop which I use for most of the time for personal reasons. My question is if V5 will run on my laptop since it only have a 4GB GTX 1650 (+ i5 9300HF + 16 GB RAM). I can run MSFS and DCS with medium settings with no problems. Can i expect to run v5 as well on this laptop? BTW I'm using basic ORBX LC and a few airports and aircrafts addons.
Thanks

PS: I forgot to mention that I've P3D v4.3 running in the same laptop with good performance.

Hey,

While with P3D v4 you might get away with it on the laptop because it’s using DX11, however with v5 you will have issues with the vram as v5 is using DX12. I am running v5 on my RTX2070 Super (8gb vram) on desktop PC with texture resolution of 1024 and in some areas I’ve got close to 6 gigs of vram usage out of 7.1GB usable vram. Now with your GPU’s 4GB vram won’t be enough. Especially that the usable vram is a bit less than 4GB as Windows reserves a small bit for itself.

• Upvote 1

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

I am running v5.4 on my desktop with a GTX 1660ti video card. It has only 6 gigs of onboard ram, but I am usually drawing not much more than 4. I do not fly ram hungry tubeliners…and am very happy with the long overdue upgrade…very curious about whether this is a preview of v6 and what it may or may not offer. 

see my specs for more info about my hardware software setup.

sherm

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ggerolamo said:

What exactly is better - I would be really interested ?

I have mentioned it before, but here's what I mean.   The sim runs smoothly and relatively stutter-free.  I believe the updates to Active Sky combined with EA in the sim provide, I believe, a better, more realistic experience in weather and it has not been adversely affected by the sim's update.  Using Cloud Art with Active Sky and EA all together, to me, looks better than it did in 5.3.  Certainly this could be a combination of many other things, but I seem to be enjoying the P3d experience more than before.  Again, individual computer systems, and the computer's configuration, coupled with the correct Nvidia drivers all make a difference.  Overall computer regular maintenance also affects how a computer runs a program.  I clear my cloud config somewhat regularly, and even though many on this forum would disagree with me on occasionally deleting the P3d config and letting the program rebuild, I do perform that little bit of cleanup...perhaps on a monthly basis.  

You certainly don't have to do what I do, but it works for me, and I have been a regular simmer for decades!  I own a Jetline Systems computer (my 3rd one) and I really believe in the product and the wonderful service support.  I will always stay with them (this is NOT a commercial for Jetline Systems - I am totally unaffiliated with them). EVERY different computer will run P3d differently, and your settings and system make all the difference in the world. I use 2 SSA , 4096 resolution, 16x AA, and most of my settings are full right or close to full right in the sim. 

Overall, 5.4 has not caused any negative change in my running of P3d; it has improved it for me.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Can this thread be pinned to show how stupid people are?

I don't remember seeing the same thing in all my years of simulated flying: making fun of people who use different software than you do.

Fly more and leave the others alone, each one using what he likes and/or prefers.

• Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS