Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

Talk about out of the blue announcement.   I dont have a problem with all these career mode stuff. Looks exciting.  Adds more variation for those who dont want to do regular flight legs with all the fidelity.  I like those heli missions.   But at the very least, we should have some very important features in flight sim, that have not been well implemented.   Terrain and WX radar is a glaring fault, especially to 3rd party who dont have a proper API to plug into.  Getting some very good high end long haul and short haul aircraft, but not having proper wx radar and terrain, is a big shortfall IMHO.   

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

7 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Not entirely true! I want a computer PC not a want-to-be apple computer full of apps. I run a X7950X3D with 4090 with DDR5 ram and run Windows 10 pro.

Errrm Ok you do you.

8 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It’s so frustrating because they created a beautiful sim, but it is not seeing its full potential.

What is the "full potential"?  They state they will continue on bugfixes and improvements for FS2020.

It's just so strange comparing this to literally every flight simulator ever released.

None of them have been perfect.  Yet the new version comes out.  

Flight Simulator 5.0 in 1993?  Not even remotely perfect.  But then came Flight Simulator 5.1.  Not perfect.  And then Flight Simulator for Windows 95 in 1996.  Not perfect.  And on, and on.  You had to purchase them.  And they were better then the previous version, so everyone did.

X-Plane is on version 12 and is not perfect.

I'm not sure why some are expecting FS2020 to stay as "the version" until it's completely, utterly 100% perfect.  That's not even a realistic target.

It, like every flight simulator before it, will get "versions" released.  I'm actually surprised this was a 4 year gap.  That's a good thing.  I thought it was going to be every 2 years.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wise87 said:

Glad to see that 2020 development will continue. I just wonder what features they will leave out of future 2020 updates in order to entice user to move over to 2024. 

I'd be surprised if that development is much more than basic bug fixing beyond what has already been announced.

7 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Well, looks like there went the chances of having one for this corner of the world...

Seriously talking, my fear is whether all the airliners under development (yes, 95% of my flying is airliners) will be compatible and/or further delayed. Wait and see...

It's likely the same engine for things like World Updates, I wouldn't be surprised if they are backwards-compatible, we'll see.

Regarding aircraft, they already said the vast majority in the marketplace should have no issues with FS2024, so even if they do, it's likely some minor changes in the grand scheme of things.

I still want some quality, older heavies to start cold and dark on the cargo ramp, far on the outskirts of the airport.  Give me a cargo DC-10 I have to climb up the stairs to when it's 20 degrees below zero and gusts to 40.  That's my kind of flying.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rjquick said:

Well, if you were wondering why so many issues don't get worked on, it's probably because they were spending their time on this nonsense. This looks like something that should be an addon. Steering away from flight simulator fidelity and going towards cheesy video game stuff. They may also be looking to have everyone have purchase flight simulator all over again. We'll see. Not good IMO.

So let me get this straight? They want us to pay again for the sim that we were originally promised? It's starting to look like another Train Sim World!!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

3 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

Flight Simulator 5.0 in 1993?  Not even remotely perfect.  But then came Flight Simulator 5.1.  Not perfect.  And then Flight Simulator for Windows 95 in 1996.  Not perfect.  And on, and on.  You had to purchase them.  And they were better then the previous version, so everyone did.

I just bought 5.0, 5.1 and Win 95 from EBay in the past few weeks to try them out again. 🙂

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

It certainly wasn't the greatest simulator at release

I would actually disagree.  I'd say it was.

I've been using MSFS since the 80s and never thought I'd see anything like FS2020.  Not just the visuals, the modernization of the entire platform.

X-Plane user since v8 or v9, and P3D.

When MSFS came out, sure it had its share of bugs.  Nothing too crazy for a brand new product.

It was always the same old arguments.  "[other simulator] has better aerodynamics!", "this is 'on rails' and is using the same system as FSX!'", "this flies like an arcade game!".

I don't know.  I'm a certified commercial pilot and it seemed pretty decent to me, it certainly wasn't on rails, "using the same old code", etc.

Now?  Obviously light years ahead and more apparently coming down the road here.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

But there's no mention of addons NOT purchased in the Marketplace?

Yes there is 

With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024”

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

They could have spent that time employing teams to fix AI, ATc, weather, morphing scenery, taking DX12 out of beta.. etc etc etc.

Asobo is a large company.  Flight simulator has a large development team (200+).

If you think the people responsible for updating the satellite terrain data and creating "landmarks/POIs" are the same ones working on DX12, ATC, or the weather system, that's simply not the case.

It's not like they say "Hey, Bob, can you take a break from triaging the ATC bug list and help us import this Hawaii geospatial data?", or "Joe, we need you to take a break from the low-level DX12 optimization and create this row of shacks in Polynesia".

People are just making wild, crazy assumptions at this point.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

So let me get this straight? They want us to pay again for the sim that we were originally promised? It's starting to look like another Train Sim World!!

You don't have to.  Nobody's forcing you to do anything.

If you use [other simulators] you could also stay on older, "broken" versions if you want.

"pay again for the sim we were originally promised" ... if you don't think you got your money's worth by this point, don't buy it!!!

This isn't that difficult.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

I would actually disagree.  I'd say it was.

I've been using MSFS since the 80s and never thought I'd see anything like FS2020.  Not just the visuals, the modernization of the entire platform.

X-Plane user since v8 or v9, and P3D.

When MSFS came out, sure it had its share of bugs.  Nothing too crazy for a brand new product.

It was always the same old arguments.  "[other simulator] has better aerodynamics!", "this is 'on rails' and is using the same system as FSX!'", "this flies like an arcade game!".

I don't know.  I'm a certified commercial pilot and it seemed pretty decent to me, it certainly wasn't on rails, "using the same old code", etc.

Now?  Obviously light years ahead and more apparently coming down the road here.

It certainly wasn’t the best platform if you wanted to realistically simulate airliner ops. We had to wait until last year for that, with the notable exception of FBW’s efforts.

2024 will be a more minor platform change, so it’s unlikely that we’ll have to go through the same quality payware drought that 2020 experienced.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The trailer also showed content in Antarctica which was also just recently updated in FS2020 with the latest world update. I wonder if that was back ported or made at the same time.

Personally see this as a chance to start over. Ditch the Steam version of 20 which prevents you buying add ons from the MS store with wallet funds and buy the MS version of 24. Got £30 credit on the MS store anyway so assuming 24 sells for £60 standard edition, halfway there. 20 can get uninstalled/deleted then forgotten about.

Edited by Elvensmith