Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yes there is 

Seems to just say “virtually all” marketplace purchase will work. 

Either way the communication has been terrible. Hopefully a more in-depth Q and A today will appear. 

Edited by g-liner

3 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

Ditch the Steam version of 20 which prevents you buying add ons from the MS store with wallet funds

Eh? I’ve purchased several addons with wallet funds. The Reno base back, London Landmarks, AN-225 and the ATR

edit: and FSDT’s CYVR

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

It certainly wasn’t the best platform if you wanted to realistically simulate airliner ops. We had to wait until last year for that, with the notable exception of FBW’s efforts.

But what simulator has been, on release, realistically simulating airliner ops?

This was always the realm of 3rd parties.  Sure, it comes with defualt aircraft, but nobody that does this seriously flies default aircraft.  They have to wait for groups like PMDG to come along.

And given the secrecy of the release, tight NDAs, tough deadlines, and an entirely new platform, it was obvious it was going to take 2+ years before these started showing up.  I mean, the guages alone are running on WASM/JS ... totally unfamiliar to anyone having development for other platforms.  State of the art, however.

Anyway, now they are, and I'm sure it will only ramp up from here with the quality 3rd parties.  They will follow the leader, and this is the leader.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, g-liner said:

Seems to just say “virtually all” marketplace purchase will work. 

There’s also a part that says addons in general 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yes there is 

With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024”

The nuance is that things like complex aircraft will need upgrades. Even if not necessary on release day (unlikely), they’ll need them as the new sim progresses.

We know that some devs will want to monetise this. I THINK that most devs will do the right thing, but anyone who went through the P3D v1/2/3/4/5 process knows that some will drag their feet and some products never get updated.

For any dev, it’s a balance between increasing income and not alienating your customer base.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yeah just saw that! 

Hopefully some more in depth info coming today anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

Sure, it comes with defualt aircraft, but nobody that does this seriously flies default aircraft. 

I think the WT 78 is good enough to simulate airliner ops now. 

• Like 1

Here is one more speculation. Do you recall MS layoffs of 10.000 because of slower revenue growth from the beginning of this year? I can well imagine MS higher management asking Jörg & Co. how to respond and, perhaps, either (i) cut down the program, or (ii) find a way to generate new money to improve profitability. 

They might have opted for the second way and the present announcement may be the result. Which I would prefer over the first option.

Certainly no one would ever tell us about this but it seems a valid scenario.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

9 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

But what simulator has been, on release, realistically simulating airliner ops?

This was always the realm of 3rd parties.  Sure, it comes with defualt aircraft, but nobody that does this seriously flies default aircraft.  They have to wait for groups like PMDG to come along.

And given the secrecy of the release, tight NDAs, tough deadlines, and an entirely new platform, it was obvious it was going to take 2+ years before these started showing up.  I mean, the guages alone are running on WASM/JS ... totally unfamiliar to anyone having development for other platforms.  State of the art, however.

Anyway, now they are, and I'm sure it will only ramp up from here with the quality 3rd parties.  They will follow the leader, and this is the leader.

No, I’m not comparing it to other sims on their release day, i’m just suggesting that on MSFS 2020 release day it wasn’t a great sim for some/many use cases compared to P3D and X-plane 11. It was pretty, and buggy, and that’s about it.

That’s all history now, we’re living in the future and the sim has come a long, long way. And I think most of us would be confident that we won’t have that kind of payware drought when MSFS 2024 comes out.

But to answer your question about “which sim on release realistically simulated airline ops”. I haven’t flown em yet, but my new FS for Win 95 box says that it has an “ultra-realistic” 737-400, so probably that sim is the one. 😉

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

9 minutes ago, Aristoteles said:

FSX2020 Acceleration Pack! Er,..um, sorry,...wrong forum. 

That was an upgrade, MS has clarified that this is a new version not an upgrade.

Oz

16 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

Sure, it comes with defualt aircraft, but nobody that does this seriously flies default aircraft. 

That’s not true.

• Like 1

That’s not true.

Quite! 

Statements on flightsim (or anything) using the phrase “nobody” or “everybody” tend to not work out well. 

Plus “seriously” is open to all sorts of interpretation. 

10 minutes ago, pmb said:

Here is one more speculation. Do you recall MS layoffs of 10.000 because of slower revenue growth from the beginning of this year? I can well imagine MS higher management asking Jörg & Co. how to respond and, perhaps, either (i) cut down the program, or (ii) find a way to generate new money to improve profitability. 

They might have opted for the second way and the present announcement may be the result. Which I would prefer over the first option.

Certainly no one would ever tell us about this but it seems a valid scenario.

Kind regards, Michael

That is what I assume as well. They could have called it WU or SU XY but chose to make it a standalone product to be able to make money with it again. And I assume for existing users of MSFS upgrading will be as easy as installing a WU / SU.

Anyway I don't see any reason for the hyperbole going on here.

25 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

The nuance is that things like complex aircraft will need upgrades. Even if not necessary on release day (unlikely), they’ll need them as the new sim progresses.

We know that some devs will want to monetise this. I THINK that most devs will do the right thing, but anyone who went through the P3D v1/2/3/4/5 process knows that some will drag their feet and some products never get updated.

For any dev, it’s a balance between increasing income and not alienating your customer base.

But this is our reality on every SU update and AAU update anyway! every single update released forces us to update our advance airplanes and push changes. Nothing changes here for me, I will just update wherever and continue business as usual.

As a 3rd party developer I am delighted by the news, it means new SDK with more power to be able to create more amazing content.. and you guys as users, you have been asking for MORE, MORE we want this, we want that.. well.. here it is.. embrace it..

Best,
Raul

• Like 20