Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

MSFS 2024 FAQ now up

7 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Have they said anything about servers? Will the 2020 servers be abandoned or will they run full 10 years?

Not heard anything new beyond what came in the FAQ last night. My musings on the servers below on other thread.. I don't think they're going to have a separate set of servers for 2020 and 2024. Likely one set of servers that can handle and take different paths depending on the version of the MSFS client, and/or MSFS 2020 clients are updated in order to work with the new services without breakage (and of course not get all the benefits of the new features in 2024).

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

20 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

It cannot but maim the marginal commercial potential of the sim they have left and slow the sales of the Store  addons.

From the reactions in the official forums it seems that there's enough customers willing to adopt to MSFS2024, and with the promised comaptibilty of the Marketplace the impact might not be as big. Even most of those being very critical at the moment will probably take the plunge - me included, sometime. But will I invest in expensive addons outside of the Marketplace before I fully know if and how it will work next year? I'll probably wait until it's out. I think those developers will love the probable hiatus in sales which obviously has surprised them as much as the announcement has most users.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Deleted

Edited by Noel
Mistaken quote

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

25 minutes ago, somiller said:

Unfortunately as can be clearly seen in the 2024 promo they made sure to keep the dark horizon line plaguing the current sim.

It's an item on the wishlist that is marked as "Not Planned".

That basically means, it is a limitation of their engine, and they have no way to get rid of it without a complete rewrite of the entire engine.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

Deleted

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Deleted

Edited by Noel
Mistaken quote

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 minutes ago, somiller said:

Unfortunately as can be clearly seen in the 2024 promo they made sure to keep the dark horizon line plaguing the current sim.

One of my pet issues, and I keep seeing it, depending on lighting, day of time etc. In my mind, a "brand-new simulator" can't be tolerated to inherit this well-known legacy issue unresolved.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 minute ago, Tom_L said:

Even most of those being very critical at the moment will probably take the plunge - me included,

Of course I'll take the plunge ... but I'll expend as little as posible. With MSFS 2020 I went for the 120$ edition, then I bought a lot modules I almost didn't fly, because it was nice to make grow the project and having the in the hangar in case ...

Deleted!

Edited by Noel
Mistaken quote

Noel

11 minutes ago, Farlis said:

It's an item on the wishlist that is marked as "Not Planned".

That basically means, it is a limiatation of their engine, and they have no way to get rid of it without a complete rewrite of the entire engine.

Am I mistaken or did they announce a new graphics engine for MS2024? It is a bit disconcerting to see that issue is still there. I do hope that the name is not the only "new" part of that engine.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

6 hours ago, cercata said:

That's why I'll not give a single dollar anymore to microsoft ...

14 minutes ago, cercata said:

Of course I'll take the plunge ... but I'll expend as little as posible. 

Only took you 6 hours to change your tune!🤣

I think people are right to be cautious in their reaction to this announcement. Whatever happens, as long as MSFS 2020 remains a viable sim (even if free updates other than bug fixes were stopped), I suppose we couldn't complain too much (well we could!😁 ). But I'd be much happier if the two sims were to run side by side update and support-wise, or better still if the 2024 version were heavily discounted for 2020 owners. As things stand, I couldn't see myself paying for a whole new sim - there are just too many demands on my finances, and simming is a luxury. I'd rather wait for a ground-up new sim (entirely new code) - one which doesn't have the potential of bringing in issues from previous sims which then prove hard or impossible to fix.

Edited by 109Sqn
  • Like 4

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Am I mistaken or did they announce a new graphics engine for MS2024? It is a bit disconcerting to see that issue is still there. I do hope that the name is not the only "new" part of that engine.

You are mistaken.

• Like 1

Is the reason for bing tiles changing because they have been testing seasons? Would make sense now as it wasn't all over the world just in certain places like Malta where sunny yellow/brown bing imagery would turn to green as you fly over.

Edited by Ant1975uk

15 minutes ago, Noel said:

Sure, stagnation is highly stable and predictable.

You were probably trying to quote *me*, therefore I shall respond:

Yes, in fact. As they say: "The best ability is availability". If that 2024 release means my addons will stop working for weeks/months and/or the aircraft I'm waiting for (Fenix' A321 & A319, PMDG 777 & 747, FBW A380) will have to be delayed by a year, I very much prefer the stagnation. Of course that depends on what is actually the benefit of that change for me - at the moment I see absolutely none, since the trailer showed nothing about things we here on Avsim want to see fixed since 2020 (ATC, AI traffic, weather depiction, ground behaviour etc.). For me at the moment in my ears it sounds like "We give you all the stuff you never wanted, will wreck or delay all the stuff and addons you actually want, and will charge you for that." That's what I literally felt after watching the trailer and learning it will be a new sim.

2 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

since the trailer showed nothing about things we here on Avsim want to see fixed since 2020 (ATC, AI traffic, weather depiction, ground behaviour etc.).

At least there were no vehicles on runways and taxiways or suicidal ground crew - that would be a start!🤭

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)