Sign in to follow this  
rocketlaunch

P3D 6 officially announced

I don't care about the requirement of a connection either way, but I just wanted to point out that the impact of losing the connection might be different in the products. We have to wait and see how it is implemented in V6.

Also, please don't generalize. For some P3D users, that requirement might be a real show-stopper. Others won't care (like me).

• Upvote 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

24 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

I don't care about the requirement of a connection either way, but I just wanted to point out that the impact of losing the connection might be different in the products. We have to wait and see how it is implemented in V6.

I'm going to assume that LM will check for your license upon loading P3D (just as MSFS does now), and that would be the extent of the requirement for the internet connection. If you lose your internet connection but you have passed the initial license check with LM's servers, you can continue to use P3D, which to me, makes the most sense (this is more or less how it works for MSFS now, you can continue to fly with autogen but you just don't get satellite/photogrammetry data from the MSFS servers if you lose your internet connection).

Beyond a license check, if users can't use P3D during the flying phase of P3D without an internet connection, that would be very awkward and user unfriendly. But if I were a betting man, knowing that P3D is used in closed loop environments like the military and other closed loop commercial environments, I doubt that an internet connection would be required during the flying phase of P3D. It's probably for the initial license check only. Either way, it will be known after July 3rd.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The big difference between the MSFS Internet connection and P3D connection (as is today)  is that the sim experience is not impacted if the Internet link between the Client and Server lose connectivity for any reason.  That's a very big difference.  Especially when the Server side experiences issues.  If you use ActiveSky you may get an error message but everything will continue without any scenery or online functionality degrading in P3D.   Who knows if V6 will be the same, we will know soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

7 hours ago, Krakin said:

Well this is interesting. I remember P3D users bashing MSFS for requiring a constant connection but......ok then.

Internet for MSFS is required to download scenery, Internet for V6 will be to check licenses, a very big difference.

edit: Psolk answered already

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

According to LM's license announcement, "The Personal license will require users to maintain internet connectivity during use. " It seems to me that you don't need to maintain internet connectivity during use just to check licenses. Maybe I'm not understanding the wording in that sentence correctly.

• Like 1

Version: P3Dv5.4, P3Dv6  CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.5 GHz with HT on,  GPU: RTX 3080 12GB,  RAM: 32GB DDR-5MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

23 minutes ago, DonMuskopf said:

According to LM's license announcement, "The Personal license will require users to maintain internet connectivity during use. " It seems to me that you don't need to maintain internet connectivity during use just to check licenses. Maybe I'm not understanding the wording in that sentence correctly.

You're right. Perhaps it may be used for data collection which seems to make more sense as they may want to study constant usages. Almost like a crash detection report being sent after a failure of a sim, but this being more of a "black box" situation.

fly safe

• Upvote 1

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

Guys, the constant connect requirement is DRM. Full stop. It’s called always-on DRM and gamers have been fighting devs over it for years. Feel free to dunk on me Monday if I’m wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

20 minutes ago, mokeiko said:

You're right. Perhaps it may be used for data collection which seems to make more sense as they may want to study constant usages. Almost like a crash detection report being sent after a failure of a sim, but this being more of a "black box" situation.

fly safe

1 hour ago, chapstick said:

Guys, the constant connect requirement is DRM. Full stop. It’s called always-on DRM and gamers have been fighting devs over it for years. Feel free to dunk on me Monday if I’m wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Internet capability as a requirement is a moot point because if you are a serious sim pilot, you need real weather more often than not as you're flying.  To achieve that, you should be connected always.

Stan

1 hour ago, chapstick said:

I'm sure there are other ways to employ DRM without constant internet connection and way better implementation. It just seems odd.

But, we're skating on thin ice on the subject so I'll let myself out the door.

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko
  • Upvote 1

Francisco Blas

42 minutes ago, spilok said:

Internet capability as a requirement is a moot point because if you are a serious sim pilot, you need real weather more often than not as you're flying.  To achieve that, you should be connected always.

Stan

Well, you think they do that for weather generation but they may do many other things with that. Control what addons you use, planes, sceneries, just some surveillance when your online, what gear you have etc. If Active Sky requires an internet connection, I feel better although they may abuse it too.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

On 6/28/2023 at 6:39 AM, dave2013 said:

I find it curious that so many people seem to be disappointed or unimpressed with the improvements and features that we know about in P3Dv6.

If the only improvement LM makes for v6 is related to the weather - the atmospherics, effects, lighting, clouds, etc., then that is significant and worth the switch.

Weather is one of the most important attributes of a flight simulator, even more important than the ground scenery and pretty, detailed airports.  Accuracy and realism are most important if you really want to simulate flight. 

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see major scenery improvements, but that is actually secondary to a realistic, effective flight simulator.

Dave

I think a LOT of that comes from the perception/reality that many devs may not make their addons compatible with whatever addon updates should be made to take advantage of the new features.

This definitely was a delaying factor in the recent XP v11 to v12 transition. v11 addons generally looked much worse in v12 because of the lighting changes, the flight models all had to be updated due to the FM updates, and a host of other factors, etc. But the diff is that X-Plane is growing, and sadly, P3D isn't. Even so, there are quite a few v11 addons that still haven't been upgraded and probably won't be (Carenado, Flying Iron Sims, et al).

It also happened with Most MilViz addons in the switch from P3D v4 to v5. A few updates for compatibility, some paid, And then they just exited the consumer market entirely - leaving some v4 addons NEVER updated for v5, etc.

SWS, AeroPlane Heaven, SSW, and India Foxt Echo also entirely exited the market, but at least they put their ESP products out as freeware.

Aerosoft said they don't want to do any P3D work other than the most basic support for existing products.

Just Flight cancelled two nearly complete airliners...

Even PMDG have slowed their P3D updates to a bare trickle.

And let's face it, the default plane set in P3D v5 isn't great and hasn't been improved over time. So even if v6 is substantially better across the board, and unless LM substantially upgrades or substitutes the Defaults, there may not be much of anything to fly other than the F-35...

Let's hope that LM's assertion of backwards compatibility is broadly true, and/or that devs make whatever adjustments are necessary.

14 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

I'm going to assume that LM will check for your license upon loading P3D (just as MSFS does now), and that would be the extent of the requirement for the internet connection. If you lose your internet connection but you have passed the initial license check with LM's servers, you can continue to use P3D, which to me, makes the most sense (this is more or less how it works for MSFS now, you can continue to fly with autogen but you just don't get satellite/photogrammetry data from the MSFS servers if you lose your internet connection).

Beyond a license check, if users can't use P3D during the flying phase of P3D without an internet connection, that would be very awkward and user unfriendly. But if I were a betting man, knowing that P3D is used in closed loop environments like the military and other closed loop commercial environments, I doubt that an internet connection would be required during the flying phase of P3D. It's probably for the initial license check only. Either way, it will be known after July 3rd.

We can only hope it's that reasonable. DCS World checks every launch, and if no license validation happens, you only have 3 days of unrestricted use...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chapstick said:

What is DRM?

20 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

And let's face it, the default plane set in P3D v5 isn't great and hasn't been improved over time. So even if v6 is substantially better across the board, and unless LM substantially upgrades or substitutes the Defaults, there may not be much of anything to fly other than the F-35...

I love flying the default C-130. When I want to fly a large military plane that is my go-to plane.

• Like 1

DRM - Digital Rights Management.

Bruce

• Like 2

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."