Sign in to follow this  
rocketlaunch

P3D 6 officially announced

Yawn...

• Like 2

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

P3D will no longer rely on True Sky. They've built a new atmospheric system. They will be using some Unreal algorithm system with the atmosphere.

A new lighting model sounds like a big improvement over EA in v5. And Active Sky will make the clouds much better. Backward compatibility is important to me. Having to discard 150 airports would not be welcome especially when developers have moved to pastures new.

Evolution, not revolution for v6. Maybe the last one using the ESP engine. But four or more years using my addons will satisfy me.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Benzhangar said:

P3D will no longer rely on True Sky. They've built a new atmospheric system. They will be using some Unreal algorithm system with the atmosphere.

In the presentation they said that in V6 the Unreal Engine has no impact, so it seems that it's basically not used yet. V7 maybe, but that's still not known yet.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Water still looks naff, and the clouds aren't the full biscuit, (I'm an artist) they still seem to be self illuminating from inside themselves.

The more detailed airports will be more than welcome, although I think from the visuals in the video, Lockheed Martin might be trying to pull a fast one there!🤔

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A new lighting model sounds like a big improvement over EA in v5. And Active Sky will make the clouds much better. Backward compatibility is important to me. Having to discard 150 airports would not be welcome especially when developers have moved to pastures new.

Evolution, not revolution for v6. Maybe the last one using the ESP engine. But four or more years using my addons will satisfy me.

Yep I agree. V5.3 does a good job for my needs. I am glad that they are dumping that EA stuff for sure. It just never did pan out. And sounds like we will get rid of that god awful blue haze.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Just now, shivers9 said:

Yep I agree. V5.3 does a good job for my needs. I am glad that they are dumping that EA stuff for sure. It just never did pan out. And sounds like we will get rid of that god awful blue haze.

Improved atmospherics may sound a litter unexciting but done properly it could be a significant improvement. They would have learned how not to do it with EA and it’s unlikely they’ll make the same mistake twice.

And when I get my new system a 4090 should do a far better job than my able but ageing 1080Ti. 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Based on the video, definitely more military mission focused and why not, that is the whole reason for LM to exist with this platform. Seems v6 will more directly compete with DCS than MSFS in the non-commercial market.

I'm interested to see what the weapons systems, multiplayer and "multi-domain" aspects look like.

Much of that was already in/available for the older versions, but have they been upgraded in some manner?

7 minutes ago, seamaster55 said:

The more detailed airports will be more than welcome, although I think from the visuals in the video, Lockheed Martin might be trying to pull a fast one there!🤔

What I’m hoping for is the restoration of parking positions that were sadly lacking at many airports in v5. When you’ve spent ages installing hundreds of AIG plans it is disappointing to see so few Ai at major airports because of the lack of parking positions.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Today's P3D v6 trailer reminds me a lot of the pre-release XP12 trailer in that you're never given a clear, straightforward look at the default ground scenery.

• Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

56 minutes ago, CaptainAddOn said:

but holy smokes do those clouds in P3D look nice. Lots of different types, weather, haze, atmospheric conditions. We are spending all of our time in the air after all.

Indeed! We also have the luxury of cirrus! 😁 Can’t wait to see how @Damian Clarkand his team have made them ever better.

Oh, and historical weather too. 😉

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Today's P3D v6 trailer reminds me a lot of the pre-release XP12 trailer in that you're never given a clear, straightforward look at the default ground scenery.

I don’t expect much difference than v5. That was covered at the expo in Houston this afternoon.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, rocketlaunch said:

I have to say, I am a little underwhelmed, I was hoping Lockheed Martin was going to blow my mind with something.  

The trailer was underwhelming. On the flip side, I don't think much has changed so chances of compatibility between version 6 and 5.3/5.4 is probably high.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

At the expo today and sat in on this announcement.  It is clear that the military is the primary customer.  Chris used an example of demoing a 200 dollar software can lead to a 15 million dollar military contract. To answer why not photogametry like msfs many of the installs are on closed secure systems so streaming isn't an option.  Thus why you just won't see that with p3d ever.  That being said they reassured that the platform isn't going away and they are looking at how they can utilize unreal.

Underwhelming yes but not unexpected.  If you are able to watch the stream of the q and a it is very informative and provides much more info than just the trailer.

As I've said time and time again here we are not their primary customer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I have a 2TB blank Samsung MV2 drive waiting for this fresh install.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg