Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Will MSFS 2024 be a Day One purchase for you?

Will MSFS 2024 be a Day One purchase for you?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Will MSFS 2024 be a Day One purchase for you?

• Yes. I'll be buying MSFS 2024 immediately upon release.
    • I fully intend to purchase MSFS 2024, but will wait until the initial bugs are fixed.
    • No. I have no intention of ever purchasing MSFS 2024.

12 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Multi threaded performance, handy when flying in to EGLL for example?

Let's wait what that actually means for FPS in the end. Because MSFS 2020 is already multi threaded. Someone else explained it better than I could, so I'll just quote:

"

It’s (= MSFS 2020) multithreaded almost as much as possible from a game/sim perspective. There could be further optimization in terms of rendering pipeline, object triangulation, masking/culling etc. But most of them are about reducing the work needed instead of spreading across more threads

Every game is fundamentally programmed in a main thread “for loop” and in each loop, you have physics & logical calculations, etc.. That’s why for simulation games, the FPS is so much more limited by the speed of each loop because there’s simply many things to calculate sequentially. I happen to play all kinds of simulation games (flight sim, city builder, park builder, world/universe sandbox, etc.) and this is a common bottleneck regardless if the program was created 30 years ago or just last few year ago
"

Someone who was at FSExpo posted here about his chat with Jorg, and specifically about multithreading in v2024.

I asked him specifically about multi-threading in FS2024. He told me that they are indeed re-architecting some things to have more discrete processes so the title can better utilize multiple processors. He specifically mentioned that an area of focus is the separation of physics/flight dynamics processes and he expects FS2024 to make much better use of multiple processors.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

27 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

and he expects FS2024 to make much better use of multiple processors.

he probably means multiple cores. my motherboard has only a single processor, but can run hundreds of processes simultaneously. 😀

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

No, it will probably be about day 14, after the reviews come out and I see what the best processes are for uninstalling 2020 and getting payware re-installed, because no way I am going to have both installed.

Edited by desbean

Your survey needs a "not sure, I will wait and see what it looks like " option.

The only choices currently are "definitely will buy, despite limited information" or "definitely will not buy, despite limited information" with some options in the definite buy category for when they purchase .

• Like 2

Oh probably a Day 1 thing for me.  The missions look fun as heck and a breath of fresh air.  MSFS 2020 got me to switch from long haul airliner flights in X-Plane to VFR and Bush Flying in MSFS and while I know missions are not necessarily new to the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise I don't think it's been to the (advertised only) fidelity) curious to see how their career thing will be (I think I read that) I am not expecting like...FS Economy or something but a simple thing would be nice.  The points and grading has been fun to me as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

Let's wait what that actually means for FPS in the end. Because MSFS 2020 is already multi threaded. Someone else explained it better than I could, so I'll just quote:

"

It’s (= MSFS 2020) multithreaded almost as much as possible from a game/sim perspective. There could be further optimization in terms of rendering pipeline, object triangulation, masking/culling etc. But most of them are about reducing the work needed instead of spreading across more threads

Every game is fundamentally programmed in a main thread “for loop” and in each loop, you have physics & logical calculations, etc.. That’s why for simulation games, the FPS is so much more limited by the speed of each loop because there’s simply many things to calculate sequentially. I happen to play all kinds of simulation games (flight sim, city builder, park builder, world/universe sandbox, etc.) and this is a common bottleneck regardless if the program was created 30 years ago or just last few year ago
"

Well it's very subjective. I have limited experience with graphic rendering  but I do work with large chunks of data. Multithreading can significantly  expedite data processing and calculations which can introduce  more  complexity to the sim. One of example of that could me more AI operated aircraft/vihacles with more realistic physics. In this case we would get more for less. 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Considering I have had Gamepass for years now (3 year trick, with cheaper extension conversions) and continue to extend with offers, then yes, I'll give it a go on day 1. Conversion costs are a bit less per month cost, not as good as 3 year Xbox live trick but considering I use it a bit, it's not a bad deal for half the price of Netflix.

Edited by n19htmare
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'll be buying it. I expect it to be really rough around the edges, but I don't mind at all. I kind of enjoy the development journey, oddly.

Honestly, I have no idea yet.

I don't even know what's MSFS 2024 is all about. Judging from the trailer/teaser they sent out, with the beginning "Are you ready to start your career in aviation" (or similar), I got the impression and can't really shake the feeling, that it's a more a career and/or mission-oriented version of MSFS 2020, which maybe also oriented towards more the casual gaming experience, with a more rigid structure in what to do - kinda like 'Flight' back in the days... 

Then again, they've said, that all purchased (from the Marketplace) would port to the new platform (if that's the right word), which - in a way - goes against the above assumption. 

If it really is an updated version of MSFS (like I kinda have the feeling that everybody's hoping or expecting), with all the same freedom and doesn't have any of the above mentioned/feared 'restrictions' or features, then I don't understand the need for it? Why have two platforms, simultaneously to maintain? Simply to get everybody to purchase it again, to make more money? Will the development of MSFS2020 stop or ?

Right now I simply don't have anough information, to make a qualified decision of whether or not to purchase it. 

(Now - I may be reacting off 'old' information! I'm not at FSExpo23 (or whatever it's called) and haven't been catching up on all the latest developments; so please don't flag me too much... 🙂 )

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 hours ago, anden145 said:

Honestly, I have no idea yet.

I don't even know what's MSFS 2024 is all about. Judging from the trailer/teaser they sent out, with the beginning "Are you ready to start your career in aviation" (or similar), I got the impression and can't really shake the feeling, that it's a more a career and/or mission-oriented version of MSFS 2020, which maybe also oriented towards more the casual gaming experience, with a more rigid structure in what to do - kinda like 'Flight' back in the days... 

Then again, they've said, that all purchased (from the Marketplace) would port to the new platform (if that's the right word), which - in a way - goes against the above assumption. 

If it really is an updated version of MSFS (like I kinda have the feeling that everybody's hoping or expecting), with all the same freedom and doesn't have any of the above mentioned/feared 'restrictions' or features, then I don't understand the need for it? Why have two platforms, simultaneously to maintain? Simply to get everybody to purchase it again, to make more money? Will the development of MSFS2020 stop or ?

Right now I simply don't have anough information, to make a qualified decision of whether or not to purchase it. 

(Now - I may be reacting off 'old' information! I'm not at FSExpo23 (or whatever it's called) and haven't been catching up on all the latest developments; so please don't flag me too much... 🙂 )

You have to watch Asobo/MS presentation from FS Expo then - its on Youtube. Its waaaay more than "career in aviation" features. 

11 hours ago, desbean said:

No, it will probably be about day 14, after the reviews come out and I see what the best processes are for uninstalling 2020 and getting payware re-installed, because no way I am going to have both installed.

That is pretty much my position also.  I currently have three simulators installed (P3D4.5, P3D5.3 & MSFS2020).  With P3D6 announced that could become four. No way I want this to become five. It is all getting out of hand. But I think developers will move quickly to update to MSFS2024 (unlike the situation with P3D6) so hopefully there shouldn't be a need to keep both MSFS2020 and MSFS2024.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

18 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

That is pretty much my position also.  I currently have three simulators installed (P3D4.5, P3D5.3 & MSFS2020).  With P3D6 announced that could become four. No way I want this to become five. It is all getting out of hand. But I think developers will move quickly to update to MSFS2024 (unlike the situation with P3D6) so hopefully there shouldn't be a need to keep both MSFS2020 and MSFS2024.

Bruce

Just curious, why you have both - P3D 4.5 and 5.3 installed?