Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Potential improvements for sky colors

This "screen calibration" excuse is getting out of control. 

In the last few years, I'm seeing screenshots of p3d which look like the player is flying during a solar eclipse, while claiming it's perfectly clear, bright and realistic to them,  and that other viewers screens are badly calibrated....  it could be true, but when a screenshot looks equally bad on your smartphone, on your computer screen and on your TV screen, you know the calibration problem is probably not on your side. 

The majority of screenshot from other players and/or other sims looking just great is another hint that calibration is most likely just fine. 

Edited by Daube
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Daube said:

I didn't point the finger at the OPs screen calibration.  Clearly if we are seeing different results, one of us has an issue with colour accuracy.

EDIT - I checked my screenshots on my iPad and Android tablet - they look exactly the same as my PC monitor.  I assume my PCs monitor calibration is ok?

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

59 minutes ago, Daube said:

the dawn and dusk screenshots posted earlier in the topic looked great, but that one is much less convincing...

I think he may have used different values than the ones I used in the earlier screenshots. It looks different to me too.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

It's quite a complicated topic for sure, and iguess it's also a matter of personal taste, to drive extend. 😉

A bit of frustration from my side as well, since I'm abroad and can't test these tweaks by myself for a few more weeks 😞

For those with the MS Store version of MSFS, you can workaround the encryption and try the mod: 

https://github.com/jet2code/arpc-injector/issues/1

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DModjo said:

For those with the MS Store version of MSFS, you can workaround the encryption and try the mod: 

https://github.com/jet2code/arpc-injector/issues/1

Did you see this post?

I wouldn't mess with the exe if I had the Store version.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

7 hours ago, Alvega said:

I think he may have used different values than the ones I used in the earlier screenshots. It looks different to me too.

I used the values posted on the official MSFS forum, from the thread discussing the light scattering (values doubled from the original to help reduce a green tinge)

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

16 hours ago, BufordTX said:

I think they did change this in today's update.  I had modded the old exe dated 6/22/23.  Worked fine like it did in the video.

Today's update brought a new exe dated 9/22/23.  The hex editor didn't find the old valves in this new one.  So, I tried doing a replace of the new values with the same new values (figured it couldn't hurt), and it did find all 3 of those.

That's because you are still looking at your own modded .exe, as they have changed nothing.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

9 hours ago, Alvega said:

Did you see this post?

I wouldn't mess with the exe if I had the Store version.

I think they must've done something wrong. Worked fine for me. 

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I used the values posted on the official MSFS forum, from the thread discussing the light scattering (values doubled from the original to help reduce a green tinge)

There were various values posted on the official thread by the OP and the user MortThe2nd tested them all. The ones he preferred (and me too) are in post #241. Try with those, they are the ones I used in my screenshots on page 11 of this thread..

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 1

Alvega

13 hours ago, Daube said:

In the last few years, I'm seeing screenshots of p3d which look like the player is flying during a solar eclipse, while claiming it's perfectly clear, bright and realistic to them,  and that other viewers screens are badly calibrated....  it could be true, but when a screenshot looks equally bad on your smartphone, on your computer screen and on your TV screen, you know the calibration problem is probably not on your side. 

The majority of screenshot from other players and/or other sims looking just great is another hint that calibration is most likely just fine. 

Yeah, I always laugh when people pull that one. Especially because majority of people think "screen calibration" is opening their monitor's OSD and just randomly changing a few things to their liking or downloading an ICC profile for their monitor, thinking now it's calibrated, despite each panel requiring a custom calibration to be correct.

I was once slapped with that comment after someone posted a ghastly coloured screenshot, from their own reshade. Which is funny considering I calibrate my monitors with an X-rite i1Display Pro and using DisplayCAL to constantly apply the profiles, probably one of the few who go that far to properly calibrate my monitors.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Anyone flying in VR done the hex values change? Wondering what it looks like for those of us with screens on our face 🙂 thanks

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

28 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Anyone flying in VR done the hex values change? Wondering what it looks like for those of us with screens on our face 🙂 thanks

Works great, Pico4

• Like 1