Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Potential improvements for sky colors

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Chewwy said on stream that Jayne is going to try and bring this up in the DEV Q&A stream Wednesday 

As if this has helped in the past. They will be like "uh oh uh ok we will look into this" and that will be it.

• Like 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

11 hours ago, Stavros said:

True, but this sky color adjustment is literally just changing a couple numbers - seems like it shouldn't distract too much from working on the tile swapping issue.

Well, not quite. Since making the change locally, I have noticed a visual few side effects as well, such as the line through the horizon turning white in some situations (becoming much more noticeable than before) as well as what I can only describe as a lighthouse light effect on the clouds at sunrise (and possible sunset, although I didn't see it) where the rising sun shines an orange search light on clouds on the horizon until the sun has risen properly.

As Biology has already mentioned, there are various other changes likely needed to the atmospheric model related to light scattering, especially around sunset and sunrise, to get the desired results in all situations.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Redge said:

As Biology has already mentioned, there are various other changes likely needed to the atmospheric model related to light scattering, especially around sunset and sunrise, to get the desired results in all situations.

Well I just wish they would get in touch with Biology directly then.  Biology is offering help as an expert.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Well I just wish they would get in touch with Biology directly then.  Biology is offering help as an expert.

while I appreciate Biology's offer and enjoy his sky light hack tremendously (was the only reason I have fired up x-periment 12 from time to time), you honestly think a company that has 500 people working on MSFS 2024 and can invent something like ChatGPT really needs help to implement such minor additional features into MSFS 2020/2024 ?

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

54 minutes ago, turbomax said:

while I appreciate Biology's offer and enjoy his sky light hack tremendously (was the only reason I have fired up x-periment 12 from time to time), you honestly think a company that has 500 people working on MSFS 2024 and can invent something like ChatGPT really needs help to implement such minor additional features into MSFS 2020/2024 ?

I get your point, but as mentioned, it's not just about implementing the code changes. Biology has other input to do with the scattering etc. that helps to get things spot on.
They have the resource for sure, but I am not sure about them having all of the expertise.  We will see...  Hopefully!  :biggrin:

I am building a new system / fresh W11 install, so I will implement the hack after that, but I get the feeling MS might do something to make that difficult to do, and if so, the only way then is to wait and see if they do it.  If it is that simple, it could be done in a quick hotfix hopefully.  We shouldn't have to wait so long for it.

I reckon if they are looking at doing it properly, they might be thinking about implementing another toggle / slider, so the people that liked the old over saturated sky colours don't throw their Teddy Bear's out of the pram - you know what it's like!  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

22 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

another toggle / slider,

that*s exactly how I would like to see it implemented. and that's why no 2 users slider settings are the same. personal preference is key. otherwise if they hard coded it, I would expect the first outcries how the previous sky was so more vibrant, life like, realistic and what have you. how could they dare ...

"I am building a new system / fresh W11 install, so I will implement the hack after that,"

will you purchase another copy of MSFS? store or steam, chicken or beef?

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

I am sticking with my current store version, but a completely new full fresh reinstall of everything (onto a new 2TB NVMe), so I should at least have the 'newer' store version with less protection.  My original was from August 2020, so it is the older 'locked down' store installation.

My current W11 was an over install from W7, then W10, then over install to W11. 
I have too many problems now, so time to refresh completely.  I have been battling with it for a number of months, and can't fully fix it.  A W11 fresh over install even crashes out!

My user account has corrupted a bit and all my permissions are messed up.  This all happened after power cut a while ago, then some random blue screens after that just in windows sitting there doing nothing!  I had to scandrive the C: drive and it found quite a lot to repair.  I have been limping along since then, but now I can't even install my Nvidia drivers without going into safe mode.

Funny enough MSFS has been running just fine, but lots of other stuff, not so good. 
Quite a few Kernelbase.dll faults in Event Viewer, even after SFC /Scannow doesn't find anything.  :sad:
No malware or rootkits etc. either, just an old Windows install falling apart.
The whole new install is going to be a right pain in the aris and probably take a few nights, but it needs doing and I can't wait. :smile:

Edited by bobcat999

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

an Asobo dev has forked the github project. But we don't know if it was for official work or anything.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

an Asobo dev has forked the github project. But we don't know if it was for official work or anything.

Would that be the same dev that forked it about 3 weeks ago?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/637454-potential-improvements-for-sky-colors/?do=findComment&comment=5008239

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

27 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

a completely new full fresh reinstall of everything (onto a new 2TB NVMe)

sounds like a good idea. and how exactly do you plan to avoid MSFS protection?

very nice.

12 minutes ago, turbomax said:

sounds like a good idea. and how exactly do you plan to avoid MSFS protection?

What protection? You can run it on more than one PC as long as you don't run them at the same time. Just need to use the same Microsoft account or same Steam account.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

3 minutes ago, Alvega said:

What protection?

haven't we been discussing the store version's file protection in lenght?

very nice.

5 minutes ago, turbomax said:

haven't we been discussing the store version's file protection in lenght?

Oh, that protection. Sorry, my bad. 😉

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Alvega

thanks again for the valuable info re. the modified 3 Biologic values, I have enjoyed my evening flights like never before in VR. I can now finally "see" the cold blue evenings up there. the proverbial game, sorry sim changer.😊

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 3

very nice.

10 minutes ago, turbomax said:

Alvega

thanks again for the valuable info re. the modified 3 Biologic values, I have enjoyed my evening flights like never before in VR. I can now finally "see" the cold blue evenings up there. the proverbial game, sorry sim changer.😊

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. Let's hope they fix it so we don't have to use hacks. And a big thank you to @Biology for his findings and knowledge.

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 4

Alvega