Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Potential improvements for sky colors

5 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

That's because you are still looking at your own modded .exe, as they have changed nothing.

Yeah, sorry, they didn't update anything.  Disregard my posts about the new update exe. 

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

17 hours ago, Alvega said:

I think he may have used different values than the ones I used in the earlier screenshots. It looks different to me too.

Please note I run in HDR and used GEForce experience to save the files as SDR - maybe some colour differences there?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

21 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Please note I run in HDR and used GEForce experience to save the files as SDR - maybe some colour differences there?

I don't think it's that, but the values you used. That user on the official forum also tried those and they looked almost the same as default. Try (0,00508 , 0,00318 , 0,0) and tell me if you don't think they are better.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

6 hours ago, roland_lfor said:

With which values?

0,00254  0,00156  0,0

Will change to 0,00508  0,00318  0,0 and see if it's better 

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Silly purple / colorful sunsets.  Clearly that doesn't happen in reality... in September... 😁.

DGEGZt9h_t.jpg

I love this photo because it shows a really cool effect - Rayleigh scattering causing light to be polarized in a wavelength-dependent way. Notice how the sky looks very purple like default MSFS through the HUD, which likely has a polarizing filter, but then it looks blue through the windshield just like predicted by the spectrally rendered ground truth, which ARPC agrees with. Even though in this case it's caused by the HUD, as I mentioned before there are indeed relatively rare cases where twilight sky actually looks purple, which typically occur when clouds block the path of light from the sun or cause light to bounce around the ozone layer more.

Edited by Biology
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

4 hours ago, Alvega said:

I don't think it's that, but the values you used. That user on the official forum also tried those and they looked almost the same as default. Try (0,00508 , 0,00318 , 0,0) and tell me if you don't think they are better.

I am using those figues, but I'm not sure they are being applied properly.  When I use HxD to replace the values, the search finds two of each value, where posts suggest there should be only one.  Also, how do I manually replace a value using HxD? 

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

13 minutes ago, Biology said:

I love this photo because it shows a really cool effect - Rayleigh scattering causing light to be polarized in a wavelength-dependent way. Notice how the sky looks very purple like default MSFS through the HUD, which likely has a polarizing filter, but the sky around the windshield looks blue just like expected. Even though in this case it's caused by the HUD, there are indeed relatively cases where twilight sky actually looks purple, which typically occur when there are clouds around the ozone layer causing light to bounce more often or a cloud layer being in-between the path of the sun.

The HGS combiner is not polarized; it would interfere with visibility through the heated windshield if it were.  It does have coatings that make it highly reflective to the green color of the symbology.

Andrew Crowley

6 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

The HGS combiner is not polarized; it would interfere with visibility through the heated windshield if it were.  It does have coatings that make it highly reflective to the green color of the symbology.

I assumed there would have to be a polarizer somewhere after the liquid crystals (assuming the display would be an LCD), really interesting. I'm aware of the coating but it shouldn't affect the light it transmits from the outside, so what makes it wavelength specific like that?

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

14 minutes ago, Biology said:

I assumed there would have to be a polarizer somewhere after the liquid crystals (assuming the display would be an LCD), really interesting. I'm aware of the coating but it shouldn't affect the light it transmits from the outside, so what makes it wavelength specific like that?

The combiner isn't a display, it's simply glass with coatings that make it highly reflective to the green color of the symbology, which is projected onto it from an overhead projector unit.

Andrew Crowley

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I am using those figues, but I'm not sure they are being applied properly.  When I use HxD to replace the values, the search finds two of each value, where posts suggest there should be only one.  Also, how do I manually replace a value using HxD? 

There are two of each value, but you only change the second one of each and you change them on the right side (Special editors, data inspector) in the "Single (float32)" field and then save the file.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

35 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

The combiner isn't a display, it's simply glass with coatings that make it highly reflective to the green color of the symbology, which is projected onto it from an overhead projector unit.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the projector / OHU there which I assumed to be an LCD one, but either case it appears that most 737s use a HUD with CRT projectors, so a polarizing filter shouldn't be needed, and even if they used LCD projectors, the polarizer would likely be right after the LCD and long before the image arrived at the combiner. Then it seems like the hue shift is solely caused by the coating blocking the green light from the windshield.

Edited by Biology
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alvega said:

There are two of each value, but you only change the second one of each and you change them on the right side (Special editors, data inspector) in the "Single (float32)" field and then save the file.

Great thanks. Just did this and about to load.

6 hours ago, Alvega said:

Try (0,00508 , 0,00318 , 0,0) and tell me if you don't think they are better.

3 hours ago, Bond said:

Will change to 0,00508  0,00318  0,0 and see if it's better 

I'm a fan of the colours these values produce.

Sadly, I've had to revert to the original MSFS.exe file (and the default sky colours). The changes meant Steam no longer recognised the -fastlaunch command to bypass the MSFS load screens, and some 3PD add-ons didn't seem to want to work properly.
I really want these sky colour changes in the sim by default!

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; PMDG 737-600; FFX HJ; AIG & FSLTL; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter