Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

difference between 30-40 frames butter smooth and 60 to 80 f

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

This again? Just enable FG and be done with numbers. Forever. 

Problem is most scenery is not optimized for DX12 which FG requires. So most experience VRAM exhaustion induced stutters at 3PD scenery with iniBuilds and BMW/AMSim being two known dev's that don't optimize for DX12. Only those with a 4090 and 24gb of VRAM will not see this behavior. Even those on 4080 and 16gb have issues, which I am one. Thus DX11 is almost required for anyone other than those on 3090 or 4090. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

3 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Problem is most scenery is not optimized for DX12 which FG requires. So most experience VRAM exhaustion induced stutters at 3PD scenery with iniBuilds and BMW/AMSim being two known dev's that don't optimize for DX12. Only those with a 4090 and 24gb of VRAM will not see this behavior. Even those on 4080 and 16gb have issues, which I am one. Thus DX11 is almost required for anyone other than those on 3090 or 4090. 

Hence why I said two years ago that the 4090 is key, OR, and this is a big or,  reduce settings! The world’s a big place. I personally wouldn’t use that scenery if that’s the case, and would rather have FG enabled. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 2

I run with DX11 locked at 48fps, and it is just as smooth as with FG 100 fps, but I can't use FG everywhere because of insane VRAM usage.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

3 minutes ago, tgsweat said:

30-40 isn't butter smooth until you have seen 60+ on take off roll and looking at the terrain from cruising.  Can't explain it.  60+ is more fluid and not choppy looking. 

I see no difference whatsoever between 48 and 100+ fps, but I'm old.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

15 hours ago, Sunshine13 said:

What are your thoughts ?  Don't forget to put your settings in as well.

Most everyone here believes it's only about frame rate when that is only one element to consider when it comes to the subjective perception of "smooth". Frame Generation does not de facto address "stutters", and when FG is used, there is zero guarantee the other huge element of the perception of "smooth" is addressed, which is the poorly sought after ultra low frame time variance.  You and I have somewhat similar systems, I use all Ultra, and leave TLOD at 100 as I'm flying only complex planes with big CPU demand, and there is so little benefit in bumping TLOD up anyway.  I discovered the pathway that delivers ultra low FTV, and it's as buttery smooth as it can get.  I've seen this at low frame rates of 33/34, and higher rates around 60, and there is so little difference I choose to keep frame rate around 34 since this leaves headroom to cope with transient spikes in demand.  I have almost zero stuttering anywhere and I think that plays a role.

Here is more detail if you wish to try this for yourself.  I tested all methods to limit frames and this was the only method associated w/ ultra low FTV, which equates to the perception of smoothness.  Caveat:  apparently not useful for VR users; and my screen is 3440x1440 so may need to reduce some settings if you're at 4K:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/628655-ultimate-smoothness-at-modest-frame-rates/?do=findComment&comment=4899096

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

lmao

• Like 3

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

3 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

lmao

This is what they all do who never took the time to try this.  Here's someone who recently did:

On 8/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, MrBitstFlyer said:

I must thank @Noel specifically for the advice in this thread - since MSFS was released, the advice in that thread has given me the smoothest experience so far, with higher settings to boot!

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

FWIW, this is what I do on my "low end" system (i-9 9900k, 2080 Super 8gb, 32gb ram, SSD drives, 1080p 24" monitor). I have a mix of Ultra and High settings with a few Mediums sprinkled in, TLOD of 350, OLOD of 100, raster set to 100. Buildings and Trees are on Ultra and I run the TLOD at 350 so I get the maximum draw distance for both, because I can't stand the look or the popping in and out otherwise. I set fps to 30 using NVCP as I found it is both more stable and fluid (smoother, if you will) than using the in game Vsync settings. My result is delightful, very smooth flight, virtually no stutters and an overall pleasing experience. I fly mostly the Vision jet now ( love this plane ) vs. my old and trusty C172 G1000 Nxi. I also do this: at or very near the FAF, I quickly pause the SIM and set TLOD to 100 and then resume my flight to the finish. The result is a continued smooth landing and taxi in to my parking spot without a stuttering mess at more detailed airports. After the flight is complete I reset TLOD to 350 for the next flight. This routine works for me, is easy to do and does not "ruin the immersion" as some.like to say. For MSFS 2024 I really think the SIM should be coded to shift (or adjust) TLOD to do this automatically at lower altitudes. Maybe it's not possible or desirable "on the fly" to do this but it sure seems like a worthy thing to try.

Sorry for the long winded post, but you asked. 😊 What it boils down to is each individual has to find settings and a routine that pleases them on their individual system to maximize their enjoyment of the sim. That's all that really matters.

• Like 1

Ken

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Lastly, the limit of the human eye is NOT as low as 30-60 fps. It's just not.

This can be the subject of a very long and technical discussion.

To avoid sttutering, it's my first priority, in my case, considering I don't have the latest CPU, nor the latest video cards.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

12 minutes ago, edpatino said:

This can be the subject of a very long and technical discussion.

To avoid sttutering, it's my first priority, in my case, considering I don't have the latest CPU, nor the latest video cards.

Yup, and I provided you the answer. 

2 hours ago, Noel said:

This is what they all do who never took the time to try this.  Here's someone who recently did:

Sorry...i have been simming all my life. I have fought for every frame along the years with FSX and its ancestors. I can say Ian has the right answer for everyone who invested in state of the art hardware. Turn on FG and you won't have to think about smoothness anymore. No need to fiddle around with fixes.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

7 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

This again? Just enable FG and be done with numbers. Forever. 

I am nowhere near the point I can upgrade my PC, so FG is not in my near future 🤭.  Until then I will set an FPS that guarantees smoothness.  Even my system can run at 60fps, but settings have to be low enough to spoil the illusion of flying.  I can tell the (small) difference between my 34 fps and 60fps, but the guaranteed smoothness at 34fps mean very high settings, a visually satisfying view and beautiful smoothness.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Turn on FG and you won't have to think about smoothness anymore.

Sorry, me too, 3 plus decades of FS use.  I don't think about smoothness anymore either since last December when I discovered the pathway to ultimate smoothness at modest frame rates.  I'm 100% certain you've never witnessed this else you'd be less quick to brush it aside. 

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I am nowhere near the point I can upgrade my PC, so FG is not in my near future 🤭.  Until then I will set an FPS that guarantees smoothness.  Even my system can run at 60fps, but settings have to be low enough to spoil the illusion of flying.  I can tell the (small) difference between my 34 fps and 60fps, but the guaranteed smoothness at 34fps mean very high settings, a visually satisfying view and beautiful smoothness.

They who have not personally witnessed this can't appreciate it I understand, and thanks for chiming in.  My message has always been aimed at those w/o top end hardware to brute force their way past marginal FTV.  I will eventually upgrade my CPU primarily as that is the only stumbling block to perfect animation, and even now it's almost always near perfect from gate to gate.  A new CPU will help my system cope with FSLTL which I have to dial back due to load on my CPU.

• Like 1

Noel

7 hours ago, edpatino said:

For me, and according to experts, the human eye con only perceive up to 30 fps in the screen,

What you are referring to is motion blur, hence the 24 fps for movies.
The human eye however can absolutely see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.
But indeed, let's not get into a lengthy discussion.

• Like 3

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11