Sign in to follow this  
grandfred29

Fenix block 2 delayed [31 October 2023]

From Aamir

Hi @everyone - to get the sharp end of the stick out of the way first, as you may have noticed it's the end of October and Block 2 isn't here. The last month has been an absolute whirlwind of late nights, early mornings, and weekends to try and get this over the line in time. Things ultimately did not go our way in the later phase of development and the simple fact is we're not going to be meeting our October guidance as hoped, but regardless we're not letting our foot off the gas just yet. We understand this is going to cause a lot of frustration and annoyance, and we're honestly gutted we couldn't pin everything together. With that said, as disappointing as this news may be to some of you, I'd like to reiterate that sending abusive DMs to any staff on the server will result in an instant ban - we'll take the egg on our faces for missing our aiming point, but the uptick in genuinely abusive messages will not speed up development.

Now that's out of the way, I actually bring something more than just wibble-bait: screenshots. We've kept Block 2 under wraps for quite a while as we're exploiting some tech that we've had in development for over a year, and continue to refine.

So first up, it's worth noting that there's still a few decals and textures that need moving over to the 'new' process we've recently had to switch to for some areas of the artwork due a core bug with how MSFS handles z-ordering, so don't mind a couple of missing stickers or decals here and there. This is also only going to be a 'brief' overview, I know Dave has a whole thesis planned to explain the numerous improvements the new model brings, so I don't want to steal his thunder entirely, but I did ask if I could pinch a couple of shots from him for this update. I'm on strict orders not to reveal some of the secret features he's been working on, which means we'll be sticking with the CFMs today.

Edited by grandfred29
  • Like 13

Frédéric Giraud

Understandable, as these obstacles can and do present themselves during any phase of development.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

It’s so disappointing that people would send abusive messages to devs over a virtual airplane missing a target date.  Anyone who does that needs to seriously evaluate their life priorities and decisions.

Good on @Aamir for banning such people from their Discord.

• Like 20
  • Upvote 6

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

22 minutes ago, regis9 said:

It’s so disappointing that people would send abusive messages to devs over a virtual airplane missing a target date.  Anyone who does that needs to seriously evaluate their life priorities and decisions.

Been at this (flight sim) for over 20 years. The sniveling/weeping and gnashing of choppers amongst some, has always been an un-welcome ingredient around these parts.

Now, currently...the level of absolute abandonment of manners, respect and being a human being...today...is troubling.

Good on Amir...100 percent!!

• Like 15
  • Upvote 4

pmdgngxpilot.png

43 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Its not just Flight Sim, I've noticed people in general go from 0 to hostile real quick over the smallest things. We are too on edge and have to relearn how to communicate with and give grace to each other. That said, when Block 2 is released it will be worth it. Then time to look forward to the A319 and A321. :happy:

I honestly think the world went pear shaped after Covid. There's no self control now.. 0- full on rage in seconds, over nothing.

Edited by Car147
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

48 minutes ago, dusty_sourdough907 said:

Been at this (flight sim) for over 20 years. The sniveling/weeping and gnashing of choppers amongst some, has always been an un-welcome ingredient around these parts.

Now, currently...the level of absolute abandonment of manners, respect and being a human being...today...is troubling.

Good on Amir...100 percent!!

Like people are saying, I am not sure what has happened to the human race recently. 
No manners, no respect, no consideration. 
People want instant gratification on demand or they think they can abuse you through the keyboard - human trash!  

I would go further and cancel their licences!  :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Happy to wait. Gives me time to fly things I rarely fly. 

People who don't understand how development works, sending threats to developers, believing most are probably children will have a shock when they get a real job.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, dusty_sourdough907 said:

I tend to not like Discord much because of this behavior and only go over there to find an answer to something, etc.  The Fenix Discord is a hot mess.  I really cannot believe the people on there (many seem to be logged in 24 hrs a day!) getting themselves into a tizzy over an engine variant ('IAE wen bro' crowd).  I really hope these entitled people are not planning to enter the aviation industry...I can only imagine sitting next to a dude complaining that he would rather fly the IAE's instead because of the cool buzzsaw sound on takeoff....

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I know we on Avsim are often criticised for being elite-ish... but comparing it to Discord I'm quite happy with how people express their opinion and discuss over here.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

The bigger Discords -- FBW, Fenix, etc. -- are a tire fire. There is just way to much text flying and it's hard to tell who is responding to what.

I pretty much just go to the big Discords to get dev updates.

But, yeah, the vitriol is something else. Fenix owns missing the two deadlines, but people really got out of whack.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I hope by Thanksgiving weekend. Have 4 days to fly and hope it’s with this one.

Eric 

2 hours ago, Flic1 said:

I tend to not like Discord much because of this behavior and only go over there to find an answer to something, etc.  The Fenix Discord is a hot mess.  I really cannot believe the people on there (many seem to be logged in 24 hrs a day!) getting themselves into a tizzy over an engine variant ('IAE wen bro' crowd).  I really hope these entitled people are not planning to enter the aviation industry...I can only imagine sitting next to a dude complaining that he would rather fly the IAE's instead because of the cool buzzsaw sound on takeoff....

Yhh i left their Discord as well, its just basic school level chaos 🙂. Their mods are also helpless. 

• Like 1

Roi Ben

Happy to wait until it's right.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,