Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

CTD's all the time now!

OK... so flew the exact same route when had CTD yesterday... NO CTD today ... flight of 1 hr 34 m ...differences...

No VR...

No FSLTL...

Had Fenix, Navigrapgh

Had Rex global textures..

Using DX 11

A stutter or 2 before landing which almost stopped my heart... but NO CTD!

Could it be FSLTL is causing some issues? The hunt continues...

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

2 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

Hi Brandon,

you have excellent computer knowledge,

FYI, I always update to very latest Nvidia drivers without issue,

out of interest, what PSU are you using?

& maybe you could try SU14 Beta (easy when using Steam) to hopefully rid you of the pesky gremlins you’ve encountered

Hi, and thanks for the nice comments (name is Landon btw 🙂 ). As for my PSU, it is a SeaSonic Snow Silent 1050W 80 Plus Platinum (like those ratings mean anything anymore). Plenty of juice. And it's the same PSU and PC setup I had before SU13. 

As for trying the MSFS beta, not the right fit for me to be a beta tester (personal reasons that I won't advertise on here). Besides, I don't have the Steam version of MSFS. But, not a bad suggestion. 🙂 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

20 minutes ago, vonduck said:

Could it be FSLTL is causing some issues? The hunt continues...

I know that is not the cause of mine because I stopped using FSLTL when I first started troubleshooting my CTD's. But, who knows, could be the cause of yours. Flight simming is always a voodoo type of science 😉 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

1 hour ago, sniper31 said:

I know that is not the cause of mine because I stopped using FSLTL when I first started troubleshooting my CTD's. But, who knows, could be the cause of yours. Flight simming is always a voodoo type of science 😉

Yes indeed...very subjective for sure...

Just completed another 1 hour flight... in VR this time with no FSLTL...

Uninstalled and reinstalled the MR software from HP...

Used a clean version of the latest Nvidia driver...

No CTD...

Next step is to try again with traffic... maybe ill use another program for that? Hmmmm

• Like 1

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I wonder there is a trend that 4090 cards are more prone to CTD. As I posted in VR subforum, it took me few weeks to finally solve the CTD problem by slightly underclocking my 4090 card. Somehow, just maybe, MSFS is just having some weird glitch with 4090. 

Edited by FlyIce

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

23 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

I wonder there is a trend that 4090 cards are more prone to CTD. As I posted in VR subforum, it took me few weeks to finally solve the CTD problem by slightly underclocking my 4090 card. Somehow, just maybe, MSFS is just having some weird glitch with 4090. 

I would accept that theory IF I was having this CTD issue before SU13. But, I have had my 4090 for almost a year now, and I have never had any problems with MSFS crashing to the desktop UNTIL SU13 was installed. Before SU13, I must reiterate again, that I had no stability problems in MSFS. Furthermore, I do not have my 4090 overclocked. It has been a solid card, no overheating issues or excessive fan running or any odd behavior. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Turning off both Photogrammetry and Multiplayer seemed to have fixed my SU13 CTD's

23 minutes ago, SoJourned said:

Turning off both Photogrammetry and Multiplayer seemed to have fixed my SU13 CTD's

I always have multiplayer turned off as I don't like or use it. As for photogrammetry, I mostly fly with it turned off because the melted trees and buildings look that you sometimes see really bothers me. In any case, while troubleshooting my CTD's I have tried with photogrammetry both on and off. Made no difference, I had the same CTD in either case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sniper31 said:

Hi, and thanks for the nice comments (name is Landon btw 🙂

Hi again Landon (please excuse my brain fade 🙂)

Your constant CTD issue is genuinely perplexing,

particularly, because you pay great attention to all the hardware & software details,

a full reinstall is such a drastic option,

I hope that you find the solution…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sniper31 said:

I would accept that theory IF I was having this CTD issue before SU13. But, I have had my 4090 for almost a year now, and I have never had any problems with MSFS crashing to the desktop UNTIL SU13 was installed. Before SU13, I must reiterate again, that I had no stability problems in MSFS. Furthermore, I do not have my 4090 overclocked. It has been a solid card, no overheating issues or excessive fan running or any odd behavior. 

I never overclocked my 4090 either and hadn't had any CTD for a long time until few months ago. I guess that somewhere along those recent updates MSFS becomes a bit allergic to high performance and power hungry cards like 4090. Anyway I strongly suggest you give underclock and powerlimiting a try. It's simple and cured my CTD problem (with ~3-5% loss of fps)

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Just some info I have posted on other threads that I will condense into one post on here and hope it can help some people, would be good to make this into one big troubleshooting guide so if anyone has any suggestions etc I can add them in...

Windows:

1) On Windows Search, Type in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications Logs. Look for a Red exclamation mark around the time of the crash and look at the faulting module name and the exception code, copy or post it here and will help to see the cause.

nvwqf2um.dll - Try a clean install of the graphics card driver using DDU, and create your own driver using NVcleanstall and see if that helps.

ucrtbase.dll - Ensure all visual is fully up to date - https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist

2) Open CMD as administrator, paste this command and press enter and wait for it to finish

sfc /scannow 

DISM /Online /Cleanup Image /CheckHealth 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth 

sfc /scannow

Reboot your computer, run it again, and reboot.

3) Ensure Windows is fully up to date

4) Ensure you have the latest gaming services from Microsoft Store App > Library > Check For Updates

5) Open Disk Cleanup as Administrator, select your main drive, and tick every box to clean up, you can do this for all drives on the computer. Finally restart your computer.

6) Run Storage Sense and remove Temporary Files

7) Disable High Precision Event Timer

8 ) Set Virtual Memory to 32GB

Windows Apps/Services/Drivers to check:

1) Don't use Process Lasso, personally not worth it and is known to cause issues

2) Remove the RealTek Audio Driver (You can go to Device Manager and disable it to see if you need it or not) if your sound still works when disabled, you can uninstall it as it's known to causes issues

Nvidia Drivers:

1) Try a clean install of the latest Nvidia Driver. Sometimes they just need to be reinstalled and that helps fix issues. Preferable to download the latest Nvidia driver for your card from the offfical website, then use NvCleanstall to remove all the unnecessary stuff and build your own package. Disconnect your internet and boot into safe mode, run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all the old drivers, click Clean & Restart and then once your computer has rebooted, you can install your driver that you built earlier.

MSFS Files:

1) Delete the content.xml and .dat files located here: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408886545938-How-to-restore-the-sim-to-its-vanilla-state-to-get-back-in-game

Microsoft Store/Game Pass version
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Steam version
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Retail boxed version
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\MSFSPackages

2) Another thing is delete everything in the SceneryIndexes folder: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017133940-How-to-install-a-new-update-safely

Microsoft Store/Game Pass version
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes

Steam version
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SceneryIndexes

Retail boxed version
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\MSFSPackages\SceneryIndexes

More help here: 

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4412295717650-Read-first-Windows-10-11-troubleshooting

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406280399250-Basic-Troubleshooting-How-to-troubleshoot-crashing-CTDs-issues-

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406280653202-Advanced-Troubleshooting-How-to-troubleshoot-crashing-CTDs-issues

Other:

1) This webpage is helpful to go through some stuff - https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2023/10/25/performance-boost-tricks/

2) Try MSFS in Safe Mode, if it doesn't crash, the issue is not likely to be with MSFS itself but the OS / Hardware

3) If using MSI Afterburner, try switching to default settings for your graphics card for a bit

4) Backup your BIOS settings, and turn off any RAM / CPU / XMP overlocking and try

Edited by Brocky120
Add info
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Brocky120 said:

Just some info I have posted on other threads that I will condense into one post on here and hope it can help some people, would be good to make this into one big troubleshooting guide so if anyone has any suggestions etc I can add them in...

Windows:

1) On Windows Search, Type in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications Logs. Look for a Red exclamation mark around the time of the crash and look at the faulting module name and the exception code, copy or post it here and will help to see the cause.

Excellent advice, but there's one item that you forgot, which often has people chasing the problem down the wrong path.

That item is to also look for log entries from other processes prior to the item with the actual red exclamation point. It's not uncommon for a problem to occur in a supporting application, .DLL, or OS module where it might not completely fail (as in crash and leave it's own red exclamation mark entry in the log) but might return unexpected or invalid results that in turn crash the program that is using that returned information.   

So... just beware that even non fatal errors in a process supporting another process may cause the crash of the supported process. For MSFS, you would be looking primarily at processes like the ones you mentioned in your post. Nvidia dlls, .net libraries, Windows APIs, etc.. Completely external applications like GSX, FSLTL, AIG, the Fenix external app, etc. are not likely to crash the sim. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

Still no crash here since rolling back to 537.34. I haven't changed anything else. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog