Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

CTD's all the time now!

6 hours ago, monica6211 said:

Try turning off turbo-boost for you CPU. When MSFS was first released I remember reading that the sim doesn't work well with overclocked CPUs.

oops, sorry, you already mentioned that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vonduck said:

I hear you! Just tried a flight... all going swimmingly well with an almost empty community folder... 3 minutes to landing after 1.5 hour flight... sim freezes... VR freezes... CTD... same error code...

I am over this..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DX12? Try DX11. Or did you already tried it out? And are you using FSLTL? If yes, you need to move the FSLTL folders out of the community folder (don't know if you have those still included because you wrote almost empty Community folder).

FSLTL ctd my sim as soon as I put those folders into my community folder. I have stored them outside and since then no random ctd by FSLTL. And yes.....with 2d no problem, with VR in my case the FSLTL based crashes AND dx12 based crashes increases. 

I've tested this seprately of course as well together. 

Now my sim is pretty stable. Old recommended Nvidia driver 531... And FSLTL outside dx12 on. 10 flights and 1ctd. Prior was every second flight a ctd. 

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

5 hours ago, sniper31 said:

I am about to give up and nuke my entire MSFS install, something I said I would never need to do before SU13 came along.

Speaking from experience of simulations/games that involve; A) Continuous Updates by the developer and B) Community driven Modding, a complete uninstall-reinstall every so often/every year/whatever isn't the worst idea in the world. It becomes a complete faffing nightmare when you have to move controller bindings and reset in game menu items and all that (hopefully MSFS isn't that bad due to the cloud structure) but in the end it can be worth it to "clean up" the softwares installation. Same goes for the OS although I personally do that every 3-4 years just to clean out the junk anyway.

I think with MSFS another issue could be the many 3rd party apps that are also installed that feed into the Sim, so you're not gonna want to uninstall-reinstall all of those either, but one of them may be potentially "leaking" in the CTD which would be a nightmare to find. Essentially there's a gazillion scenarios on your own PC that could lead to a CTD, chances are they'll clear up magically one day as I've experienced with other games and you're left wondering "how?" !

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

11 hours ago, sniper31 said:

Well, I had a total of ONE successful flight after the USB adjustment, and then on second flight, about halfway into it, CTD. And, I have been using Addon Linker long before SU13, so that is not anything that will matter with this issue. I am about to give up and nuke my entire MSFS install, something I said I would never need to do before SU13 came along. I am going to sleep on it before I do that, but boy, I am getting more and more frustrated. My system runs everything else without issue and at extreme settings. I am running MSFS in 1440p on a 7800X3D and a 4090 I can't even have two stable flights in a row after this last SU. 

It sounds like there is a conflict. My system runs pretty well with minimal impact and my system is not as powerful as yours. Check the community folder again. I remember I had similar issues and after completely emptying it out....after days of CTDs.....it still had content in there. Very annoying.

Do you have other peripherals? Did you check every USB setting?

Do you have FPS locked? I use rivatuner to lock the sim at 30 and its pretty smooth. I use TAA and 75% resolution of 4k (so the same as yours). TLOD is 125, LOD 150 and most settings are medium/high as I can't tell the difference.

I'd try AddOnLinker built-in renaming feature. It renames file conflicts and helped me in the past.

You must be absolutely sure there is nothing..... nothing at all running with your sim. This includes Navigraph, other planes of any kind, uninstall FSUIPC, ATC programs.
Every.Single.Thing associated with the sim.

There is a conflict there somewhere.

There is no need to "nuke" your sim. Deleting shader cache has helped some people however. But to me.... most stuff is snake oil.

Edited by Sonosusto

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

12 hours ago, sniper31 said:

Well, I had a total of ONE successful flight after the USB adjustment, and then on second flight, about halfway into it, CTD. And, I have been using Addon Linker long before SU13, so that is not anything that will matter with this issue. I am about to give up and nuke my entire MSFS install, something I said I would never need to do before SU13 came along. I am going to sleep on it before I do that, but boy, I am getting more and more frustrated. My system runs everything else without issue and at extreme settings. I am running MSFS in 1440p on a 7800X3D and a 4090 I can't even have two stable flights in a row after this last SU. 

Hi L,

maybe hold off on the nuke option (but it's your choice). I only started getting a bunch of CTDs since SU13, and for me it has mostly occured when zooming on the World Map at setup time. Now that I have switched the map view to IFR (didn't even know about messing about with the map until I read the suggetions in here) I don't get those CTDs any more. I had also been getting occasional CTDs while in the sim (i.e. flying) and although I'm getting far fewer of those after switching the map to IFR I am still getting some, whereas I hardly ever had any in the past. Which leads me to suspect the servers or some obscure problem in the code since SU13.

I've certainly had a similar problem in the past, in that after one of the SUs I started getting huge pauses and stutters all the time. At that time I came in here and got the usual mixed bag of suggestions (with the occasional bit of passive/aggressive suggestions about lowering all my settings), none of which made any difference, and as I suspected, the issues went away after a while of their own accord (or more likely, Asobo's accord, either with a minor fix or at the next SU).

My point is that although there is a lot of good advice given out for these problems, a lot of it won't necessarily be applicable to anybody other than the advisor, and although it may have fixed that or other issues for the person offering their solution, there are just way too many variables in terms of configuration out there to expect them to work for everybody. Sometimes, MS/Asobo will really have made a solid error somewhere and there is actually a genuine straightforward "hard" fix that will work for everyone, but these CTDs have the air of something more "subtle" about them. And the fact that there are a lot of people only getting them since SU13 stikes me as fairly indicative of a newly induced screw up. If it walks like a duck . . .

So my only "advice" re the problem is to say that messing with the world map options seems to have fixed it for me (nothing else did - running an absolutely clean system with zero addons or mods in place and all the latest drivers etc didn't make any difference), but I suspect whatever that related to (scenery zooming, LODs or whatever), the underlying problem is probably still there. Some will get hit by it, some won't.

When I was having the stuttering issues I found that I just had to avoid using the sim at "peak" times (weekend evenings was when it hit most) as the sim just felt unusable. But that's why I keep a working XP12 system as well. I just went and used that as my primary sim for a few weeks. MSFS is absolutely magic, but I suspect there are always going to be weird issues like this because the combination of a server based delivery system supplying a pretty much infinite combination of client PC configurations just cannot possibly guarantee to work 100% of the time on 100% of the systems.

Try the map thing if you haven't already, and if that doesn't do it, I hope the sim fairy smiles on you and the problem goes away or mitigates on its own,

cheers,

Andy

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

8 hours ago, mpo910 said:

DX12? Try DX11. Or did you already tried it out?

I used to use DX12 but now with DX11 so havent yet tried changing to DX12...

8 hours ago, mpo910 said:

And are you using FSLTL?

Ah yes indeed.... one of the only mods back in... im wondering if this generating of AC getting closer to the destination airport just crashes it? If i cant use that program, whats the 'safe' alternative? Or as you say, 'outside the community folder'...does that mean you still use it but not actually within your comm folder?

Ill give that a go this afternoon and report back...

Thanks heaps!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

@MarcG @Sonosusto @andy1252 Guys, thank you for all the words of advice and trying to calm my nerves some, lol. I have slept on it as I said I would, and I am not going to nuke my MSFS install just yet. It's not off the list, but not yet. IF I do nuke it, it will be a systematic uninstall of MSFS and other associated item. Those on AVSIM that have known me for awhile from other sim sites know that I am very tech savvy, and I don't make rash decisions when troubleshooting. I understand the troubleshooting process in regards the PC world, both software and hardware, and I always have notes and checklists going to track my steps and plan my process and ideas. 

In regards to my SU13 MSFS CTD problem, I have confirmed, reconfirmed and confirmed again that my community folder is empty. I have two Marketplace purchases in MSFS, both FSReborn aircraft, so I have uninstalled those. I don't use FSUIPC, and I have been testing without any addons running. My CTD issue is not the map zoom problem that some of you have experienced. My CTD's always happen while flying. Sometimes right when the flight starts, sometimes after an hour of flying, and sometimes right near the end of my flight. But, always when flying. My MSFS settings are nothing demanding. I run in 1440p with a mix of medium and high settings. The ONLY setting I have in ultra are the volumetric clouds, and when troubleshooting this problem I have dropped them to HIGH. My temps run in the high 40's to low 50's celsius while simming or other gaming. Everything at this point, with my system and setup, is pointing to a problem with MSFS and the SU13. I am sorry, but that is the situation. I don't have a history bashing MSFS, I have been enjoying it since it's release and I look forward to what is in the future with it. I simply think something changed for many os us with SU13 and we are now having these very hard to diagnose CTD issues. But they are happening. When I take everything else out of the equation and all that's left is MSFS and it CTD in a vanilla state, then the next step will be, has to be, a systematic and proper reinstall. I am close to that, but not quite ready to push the button just yet. I long for the days pre SU13 where I could fly in MSFS for hours, flight after flight, in any aircraft, with any scenery and not have any technical problems at all. I will get back to that eventually.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

of course please make sure you guys vote.  Asobo won't be reading any of this here.  

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-crashes-when-zooming-in-at-the-worldmap/607606/275

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I have voted, several days ago 🙂 

I just now had another flight CTD, right at the beginning. Nothing extra running or installed. Default everything. Same CTD...always the same. 

More and more I am thinking that since this CTD started for me with SU13, and it seems to be affecting others but also lots of other simmers are NOT affected, that I am wondering if the download issues many of us had when that update came out maybe caused some data corruption for me. If you all recall, there was a lot of download traffic when that update was released, and many of us were having download timeout issues and it said it would finish but then it wasn't. I mean, at this point I am running out of potential causes, and that seems to be all that's left. So, it's looking like a reinstall might be on my menu tonight or tomorrow.

Edited by sniper31
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

7 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

I have voted, several days ago 🙂 

I just now had another flight CTD, right at the beginning. Nothing extra running or installed. Default everything. Same CTD...always the same. 

More and more I am thinking that since this CTD started for me with SU13, and it seems to be affecting others but also lots of other simmers are NOT affected, that I am wondering if the download issues many of us had when that update came out maybe caused some data corruption for me. If you all recall, there was a lot of download traffic when that update was released, and many of us were having download timeout issues and it said it would finish but then it wasn't. I mean, at this point I am running out of potential causes, and that seems to be all that's left. So, it's looking like a reinstall might be on my menu tonight or tomorrow.

I had epidemic CTDs right after I purchased a new PC and MSFS 2020. Turned out to be a combination of GPU and PSI, which was replaced by the manufacturer, and since then I have had about 3 CTDS in almost 3 years. The only stress test that showed a problem back then, was MSFS 2020. Are you certain you don't have a hardware problem?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I had epidemic CTDs right after I purchased a new PC and MSFS 2020. Turned out to be a combination of GPU and PSI, which was replaced by the manufacturer, and since then I have had about 3 CTDS in almost 3 years. The only stress test that showed a problem back then, was MSFS 2020. Are you certain you don't have a hardware problem?

Pretty certain. There is always a chance, but my PC is not brand new. It's about 8 months old now. I have updated the BIOS as recommended after I built it because the tech was newer at the time. All the driver's are updated. I have tested and tested the hardware a lot (PC hardware is BIG hobby of mine, as much or more then simming) after putting the system together, as I always do with a new build. No problems ever showed up. I don't ask of MSFS nearly as hard tech wise as I do other games. And like I said above, even in a vanilla state I get a CTD right off the bat. So, I am leaning towards software/MSFS at this point.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

there was a lot of download traffic when that update was released, and many of us were having download timeout issues and it said it would finish but then it wasn't.

Interesting. I've gotten so used to the lousy server side issues when the updates come out that this didn't occur to me but I can see how it might be part of the problem. I try to avoid cranking the sim up for a couple of days when an update is out, but sometimes I forget when they're due and I have certainly also had similar issues. Just had a load of accidentally self-induced grief with the WU15 update for that very reason.

Please let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.

And good luck, hope you get a solution,

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

There is an NVIDIA driver that was recently updated. Could it be something of significance? I know this issue caused issues in the past.

546.01 is the latest that I've seen. I might not install that yet....

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

29 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

There is an NVIDIA driver that was recently updated. Could it be something of significance? I know this issue caused issues in the past.

546.01 is the latest that I've seen. I might not install that yet....

Nvidia drivers are some of the first things I looked at. My current driver is not that old, but not the latest either. As far as I have seen, it is not on the do not use list for MSFS. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sniper31 said:

Nvidia drivers are some of the first things I looked at.

Hi Brandon,

you have excellent computer knowledge,

FYI, I always update to very latest Nvidia drivers without issue,

out of interest, what PSU are you using?

& maybe you could try SU14 Beta (easy when using Steam) to hopefully rid you of the pesky gremlins you’ve encountered…