Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

CTD's all the time now!

7 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Also heavily affected by map zooming ctds. Not a fix, not always reliable, but I have found zooming slowly and then waiting about 30 secs before pressing Fly after choosing departure / parking slot reduces ctd frequency.

Yes I do the same out of habit now, this particular CTD started around SU12 for me IIRC but may be later, occasionally I forget and zoom right in then suddenly MSFS closes itself 🤦‍♂️

Pico Neo3 Link VR - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

45 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I forget and zoom right in then suddenly MSFS closes itself

It’s like it knows…

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

23 hours ago, air-ick said:

A few weeks back, someone in that thread took an informal poll and determined that everyone who was having CTDs was on a high-speed, fiber optic line.

That's me too! How can I limit my bandwidth to test this theory?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

34 minutes ago, odourboy said:

That's me too! How can I limit my bandwidth to test this theory?

Set your NIC speed to 100Mbit HALF DUPLEX. It has worked for me 100% of the time when every other potential solution helped a lot, but didn't eliminate the CTDs.

https://itigic.com/configurenetwork-card-in-windows-and-improve-speed/?expand_article=1

Scroll about 40% of the way down, where it talks about setting your speed to 1 Gbps. In our case, though, you want to select 100Mbit Half Duplex.

Edited by mmcmah
  • Upvote 1

It might be a long shot, but all of you who have CTD problems since SU13, were you in the SU13 Beta program?

Have you tried the SU14 Beta to see if the ctd issue is resolved?

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | Seasonic Vertex 1000W I LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

45 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Set your NIC speed to 100Mbit HALF DUPLEX. It has worked for me 100% of the time when every other potential solution helped a lot, but didn't eliminate the CTDs.

https://itigic.com/configurenetwork-card-in-windows-and-improve-speed/?expand_article=1

Scroll about 40% of the way down, where it talks about setting your speed to 1 Gbps. In our case, though, you want to select 100Mbit Half Duplex.

You could at least give credit to the poster who first suggested this workaround 3 weeks ago! Or even just reference the thread on the official forum where the workaround was deduced and suggested. 

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

It might be a long shot, but all of you who have CTD problems since SU13, were you in the SU13 Beta program?

Have you tried the SU14 Beta to see if the ctd issue is resolved?

I am testing SU14 Beta (1.35.15.0) as we speak and am having great results, so far. I haven't posted my experience yet since I'm only running my 3rd session of MSFS since I updated to the latest version, but something has changed. In my last session, I loaded 18 random aircraft/airport combinations around the world running my internet at full speed (1 Gbit fiber), zooming in and out of the world map in satellite view without a CTD. I could never have done that since this issue started for me weeks ago. I ended the session and started a new one to see if this is just an anomaly or not. Hopefully, I can report back with good news.

1 hour ago, boez said:

You could at least give credit to the poster who first suggested this workaround 3 weeks ago! Or even just reference the thread on the official forum where the workaround was deduced and suggested. 

Yes, thank you!

• Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 42" LG C3 OLED 4K TV/Monitor

2 hours ago, boez said:

Indeed. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa!

I referenced the fact that there was a thread in the official forums in a similar thread in which I was the OP: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/639089-much-more-frequent-ctds-after-su13/?do=findComment&comment=5027805

However, there, as here, I failed the reference the actual thread, which can be found here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-crashes-when-zooming-in-at-the-worldmap/607606

@boez was instrumental in figuring out various network issues and the fact that high speed internet connections seemed to be a common thread. He suggested changing to the 100Mbps Full Duplex option and that seemed to work well for him as well as for me. However, I started seeing the occasional CTD anyway, and that's why I subsequently tried and then suggested Half Duplex. It has worked for me 100% of the time without CTDs, despite my best attempts to force them to happen.

Edited by mmcmah
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mmcmah said:

I tried this and executed a flawless 90 minutes flight. Happy happy!

Then I tried again in VR and Virtual Desktop complained bitterly about my network connection and VR was hopelessly messed up and eventually locked up completely. (I'm using a simulated wireless connection through a switch and a USB to Ethernet adapter to provide a high performance connection from my PC to my headset). Sad sad!

Has anyone tried limiting network speed in the MSFS Data configuration area?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

6 minutes ago, odourboy said:

I tried this and executed a flawless 90 minutes flight. Happy happy!

Then I tried again in VR and Virtual Desktop complained bitterly about my network connection and VR was hopelessly messed up and eventually locked up completely. (I'm using a simulated wireless connection through a switch and a USB to Ethernet adapter to provide a high performance connection from my PC to my headset). Sad sad!

Has anyone tried limiting network speed in the MSFS Data configuration area?

Hmm, I can see how the added latency of a half duplex connection would not be good for the VR connection!

Have you tried your normal network speed, but waiting 60 seconds or more before pressing FLY? I've found that tends to work when I've otherwise forgotten to change the NIC speed.

In my experience, I select everything on the Map, select the plane and the departure location and then leave the mouse over FLY and wait about 60 seconds before pressing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mmcmah said:

Have you tried your normal network speed, but waiting 60 seconds or more before pressing FLY?

While I'm getting the same access violation error, my crashes mostly occur well into a flight, so no, I haven't tried that.

On a different note, Microsoft pushed a .NET Framework update late this afternoon. Any chance that fixes this crash? 😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mmcmah said:

100Mbps Full Duplex option and that seemed to work well for him as well as for me. However, I started seeing the occasional CTD anyway, and that's why I subsequently tried and then suggested Half Duplex

It needs to be said that it was not just me who found my suggestion of 100mbps FULL duplex solved the CTD problem but a significant number of posters who tried it confirmed success (see the thread on the official forum). I’ve been using FULL duplex for over 3 weeks and no CTDs. In fact I think (albeit from the limited feedback) that you are the first to declare the need to go to to HALF duplex. If that works for you then that’s great but a HALF duplex setting is not absolutely necessary; from your case it looks to be system dependent.

TLDR: try FULL 100mbps duplex first and drop to HALF duplex if needed.

Note that generally full duplex is the most performant and desirable setting as it allows both devices (PC and router) to send data simultaneously using physically different wires. It needs both devices to be able to support it hence it is normal to allow your network card to auto-negotiate the best setting for both devices.

Bizarrely this workaround is trying to slow a fast network connection down (a bit like having a Ferrari and driving with the brake pedal partly pressed!) to overcome a suspected, but as yet unknown and unconfirmed, server issue; half duplex can be thought of as pushing the brake pedal a little harder. That may not be needed in all cases. 

Reminder the 100mbps workaround is only useful for those folk who are on high speed fibre connections via a LAN cable to the router and having CTDs when terrain tiles are loaded from the server. It will not solve any other general CTDs even if they appear to be similar.

Edited by boez
Rider

Interesting read, never had any issues with my 10Gbit/s connection, always have around 900-1100Mbit/s via WLAN and never experienced any CTD when zooming around the world map. In fact, I can still count my CTD numbers in MSFS with one hand.

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I can still count my CTD numbers in MSFS with one hand.

So could I until about 3 weeks ago so be careful tempting fate!

(I had more CTDs in 3 days than the total I’d had in over 3 years when this particular issue started occurring. Thankfully the workaround is proving solid). 

Edited by boez
  • Like 1

There is no way I'm going to fiddle with my network setting just for MSFS, nor should I have to. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog