Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

PMDG says market size is 1000 times larger because of MSFS

14 hours ago, turbomax said:

so why does anybody still develop anything for other flightsims then at all? are those hobbyists who don't need that income and do it mostly for fun?

I know a handfull of X-Plane enthusiasts whose belief in X-Plane is much stronger than the most enthusiastic sport fans I know.
Back to your question: yes.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Use Simbrief , and the Simbrief downloader. It is so simple

LOL. I do. But you said that the flight plan can be sent from the EFB to the FMC. How? The PMDG FMC was a let down. Let's face it. And I take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

So I guess we won't see the price of the 777 drop by 1000%. 🙂

If a dev lowers the price for a product from "whatever price" to 0, it's -100%...

On the topic of higher fidelity content on the MSFS marketplace and for XBox.. given that iniBuilds is a close partner of MS/Asobo and have been developing their aircraft using the first-class-supported tech in the SDK (i.e. CFD) without needing anything externally executable (AFAIK), I'm assuming their upcoming payware high fidelity birds like the A300, modern longhaul airbus (A350 or A330), etc will also be on the marketplace.

This opens up even more deeper simming options for XBoxers. Given this and the volume of sales they'd probably be lowering their price points compared to their previous payware aircraft offerings for other sims, so PC users benefit too, hopefully. It's a great time for the MSFS ecosystem and hopefully stays on this trajectory as v2024 rolls around.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

13 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

LOL. I do. But you said that the flight plan can be sent from the EFB to the FMC. How? The PMDG FMC was a let down. Let's face it. And I take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

You don't actually "Send" it - just load the flight plan into the EFB, then you can access it the same way you would have if you downloaded it via Simbrief downloader. Does the winds as well, exactly the same.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I know that one of the biggest Internet flightsim add-on seller has sold around 185K add-ons since January 1 2023.

Majority of these sales are for MSFS.

Edited by andymandy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

I myself got addicted to WT for a good while... it's immersive in certain aspects….

Good lord jcomm! How on earth did you of all people get addicted to WT?😃

It’s flight model is: take one large cardboard box, sit in it, cut a hole in each side, put your arms through and flap!!🫣

• Like 1

Well, I got to page 4 before I gave up. I read one rather inspirational and heart-warming post and a load of the usual avsim bitching and moaning. I don't usually bother to comment on such stuff, but, really . . .

I truly don't understand why certain folk feel the need to be so invested in their choice of sim. It strikes me as truly pathetic.

My own fault for choosing to read a post by someone I have my doubts about. I'm out of here now. Feel free to word not allowed about me.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

There should be a forum section for “my sim vs your sim”, “PMDG EFB sucks vs no it doesn’t”, “why do you want to fly a combat aircraft in MSFS, you should play DCS” and all similar repetitive arguments.  Then people who want to publicly bicker back and forth can do so again and again rather than derailing otherwise useful threads. 

Edited by regis9
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 minutes ago, regis9 said:

There should be a forum section .  .  .

Maybe I should start a poll with suggestions for the forum title. "Mine's bigger than yours", "The "Word not allowed" Forum", "why are the rest of you all so stupid?" and similar spring to mind.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

If the MSFS market is x2 / x5 / x100 / x1000 larger for PMDG, why PMDG (with +30 years of experience in Flight sim) cannot put more resources to work on different projects simultenously? After all PMDG is the most experienced exisitng flight sim company - they definitievely have resources and know how to develop and publish new aircrafts quicker than competition (with high quality). 

Right now it looks like this: "We cannot full focus on 777/747 until all NG variants are released". After 737 NG released: "Ohh, we will full focus on 777/747 when UFT will be released". If the market is that attractive and demand for good aircraft is huge (747/777) I will put much more resources to hire good programmers and create indpendent teams to release 747/777 as quick as possible to earn more and more $$$

I just do not get it

Edited by ark4diusz

40 minutes ago, ark4diusz said:

If the MSFS market is x2 / x5 / x100 / x1000 larger for PMDG, why PMDG (with +30 years of experience in Flight sim) cannot put more resources to work on different projects simultenously? After all PMDG is the most experienced exisitng flight sim company - they definitievely have resources and know how to develop and publish new aircrafts quicker than competition (with high quality). 

Might want to listen to the whole interview or my summary notes below where RSR touches on the topics of recent team expansion and future expansion etc (they do have multiple projects currently on the go)

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

5 hours ago, Maxis said:

One of the most moving posts that i have seen on this forum.

100%

just wonderful 

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

8 minutes ago, ark4diusz said:

If the market is that attractive and demand for good aircraft is huge (747/777) I will put much more resources to hire good programmers and create indpendent teams to release 747/777 as quick as possible to earn more and more $$$

I just do not get it

As a pure monopoly for Boeing add-ons, you don't increase profit by hiring more staff (increasing costs). The market has no alternative, so you will receive 100% of all the sales.

As a simple example, say total demand for the 777 where profit is maximised is 150,000 units. At say $77.73 each, that's $11,659,500 of revenue. Now say, you currently have 5 developers, each with a salary of $100,000, that means staff salaries are $500,000.

Ignoring all other costs (unrealistic, I know, but this is just to give an explainer), the profit from this 777 project is $11,159,500.

After the 777 project, the same 5 developers are put to work on the 747. Total staff salary is still $500,000.

Total demand for the 747 where profit is maximised is 100,000 units. At say $74.74 each, that's $7,474,000 of revenue. Less the $500k staff costs = $6,974,000 profit for the 747 project. Add the profit for the two projects together and that's $18,133,500 total profit.

Now, if you were to add extra staff, you are just reducing from this total profit figure. An extra 5 developers so that the 777 and 747 projects can run simultaneously is an extra $500,000 cost. Total profit from the two projects would now be $17,633,500. There's nowhere other than this figure to go but down, as you are already selling the profit maximising number of units.

Also, unless these staff were contracted for the project duration only, you now have to find work for 10 developers on the next product, rather than just the original 5 devs.

28 minutes ago, BrammyH said:

he mentioned the 777 was in good enough shape they were tempted to show it off at Expo in June?

I don't believe that for a second. Either that was a comment to keep customers from complaining too loudly at a big public event. Or it was to dissuade potential 777 developers from trying to enter the market while PMDG was busy on their other commercial project that was mentioned.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter