Sign in to follow this  
mryan75

Up to 30% increase in FPS: update your dlss.dll file

On 11/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, The Moose said:

How is swapping DLSS DLL's going to mess up your PC? 

When you don't know what on earth you're talking about it's always best to say nothing at all.

Normally, when people are trying to silence others, it means they are not confident themselves.

For people that have problems there is also a utility for it: google dlss swapper

9 hours ago, MarcG said:

I've avoided using DLSS until MS/Asobo/nVidia fix the issues with screens in VR like they said they would, but I may have to give it a go for those aircraft without screens just to see if there's a performance benefit from the latest DLLs.

Untitled.jpg?ex=657cabe8&is=656a36e8&hm=

Well there's five minutes of my life I'm not getting back 😄 (I enjoy this stuff really)

• Like 4

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Didn't make any noticeable difference to me (3090Ti, 4k, ultra) but didn't cause any problems either and only took a couple of minutes to do. Apart from the CTDs, the sim is working beautifully for me right now.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

3 hours ago, MarcG said:

Untitled.jpg?ex=657cabe8&is=656a36e8&hm=

Well there's five minutes of my life I'm not getting back 😄 (I enjoy this stuff really)

What were you running in the sim, DLSS? DLSS what if so?

19 hours ago, MichaelLowl said:

Just a little heads up : new GPU_Z can now scan for dlss files showing version and where the game specific files are stored.

Regards

Thanks.
GPU-Z confirms it is located at c:/program files/windowsapps/microsoftflightsimulator(then a load of numbers).
After jumping through a few permission hoops I can see the files but I'm still not allowed to delete/copy/paste anything.
More Googling ....

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

32 minutes ago, gboz said:

Thanks.
GPU-Z confirms it is located at c:/program files/windowsapps/microsoftflightsimulator(then a load of numbers).
After jumping through a few permission hoops I can see the files but I'm still not allowed to delete/copy/paste anything.
More Googling ....

From what I read do NOT mess with the files in that folder. There’s a copy somewhere else, or at least there should be.  

Has improved performance for me. 

On a laptop 3070, lot more smoother with same settings in the Fenix and PMDG. Using DX12 with TAA. 

• Like 1

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

2 hours ago, silentghostx said:

Has improved performance for me. 

On a laptop 3070, lot more smoother with same settings in the Fenix and PMDG. Using DX12 with TAA. 

The file is about DLSS improvement and you got better performance with TAA, you wrote. 

Is that really related to that file? Is this file being used for TAA too?

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, mryan75 said:

From what I read do NOT mess with the files in that folder. There’s a copy somewhere else, or at least there should be.  

Thanks for the warning.
Still, GPU-Z does not find any other than these.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

9 hours ago, mryan75 said:

What were you running in the sim, DLSS? DLSS what if so?

DLSS balanced

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

There is no, there never will be a genie in a bottle performance fix. This silliness has been going on forever with every game and here we are in 2023 still going strong. The ghost of [BufflerPools] arguments laughs from the grave

• Like 4

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I updated to 3.5.  No noticeable difference, but no harm done either.  

I think for people who are GPU limited, they might see some effect, but my 4080 is only running at about 50% at 4k ultra 60 Hz (that is the most my monitor can take), and I seem to be more CPU limited if anything, so I wasn't expecting to see any performance improvement.
Quality improvement?  Maybe.  Once again, if there is it is hard to tell.  The flat screens and moving tapes are still slightly blurred (as before), but it doesn't bother me that much any more for some reason.  They are still easily readable for me with a bit of sharpening added.

@styckx  Speak for yourself!  I set Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction=0.10 in the FSX config and it actually seemed to give me an extra 5 fps in MSFS.  It also requires [BufferPools] UsePools=0, and SnakeOil=1 to be set or it wont work! :laugh:

So my overall consideration of this is, just like the constant Nvidia driver updates, it doesn't hurt to stay up to date (and you can always roll back if you have a problem), but don't expect any significant performance increases from these updates. 
As we know, there are no miracle fixes, just an uncluttered W10 / W11 system and upgraded hardware components is the only way to get significantly more performance.  MSFS does pretty well on mid range equipment anyway.

Frame Generation on the 4000 series Nvidia cards is a nice trick, but brings it's own little problems in DX12, and some edge tearing / artifacts for me when panning with a head tracker. 
It will be interesting to see what AMD FSR 3 will deliver for everyone; that may be of benefit, but it seems to have its own problems in early testing.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I don't understand why some people think it's worth sacrificing image quality for fps by using DLSS instead of TAA, wouldn't lowering the LOD a bit achieve the same performance hit while preserving the image quality? or is there something else that I will win using DLSS that I've missed?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |