Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

Does anyone now of a way to keep the DynamicLOD UI in the foreground with MSFS in Full screen and still be able to use the click spots in the sim without the DymanicLOD UI disappearing into the background? It would be useful for the purpose of tuning values.

1 hour ago, Fragtality said:

Great Job! 😃

But you still only got the second Place 😜

Any chance you could add this to the repo? And maybe add some place where we could donate to show our appreciation?

5 minutes ago, do_denver2 said:

Any chance you could add this to the repo? And maybe add some place where we could donate to show our appreciation?

Yes / No

32 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

Does anyone now of a way to keep the DynamicLOD UI in the foreground with MSFS in Full screen and still be able to use the click spots in the sim without the DymanicLOD UI disappearing into the background? It would be useful for the purpose of tuning values.

Besides a second monitor (which I highly recommend) you can get "Windows Power Toys" and use that to make windows sit on top when un-selected.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/always-on-top

• Like 1

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

40 minutes ago, McLaren said:

Besides a second monitor (which I highly recommend) you can get "Windows Power Toys" and use that to make windows sit on top when un-selected.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/always-on-top

had it but removed. is a resource/RAM hog.

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Yes! It is called "second Monitor" 😂

wow. just tried it and left all the settings at your defaults. stutters are nearly gone and everything runs smoothly. kudos.

GTX1060 card and 48" monitor!

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002
  • Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Yes! It is called "second Monitor" 😂

Who asked you? Smart a$$!😡

Edited by FBW737

This little peice of software is a fantastic!  I can't believe it's not part MSFS 2020 already!

I've got the TLOD and OLOD Level step downs/ups working perfectly, I love how you can make changes whilst in game.

I've been playing around the FPS Adaption section and whilst it reacts when the sim drops below the target average FPS, it doesn't seep to recognise the "Reduce for" value!  This means  it's constantly changing the LOD back and forth between the assigned TLOD level and the FPS Adaption "reduce by" level cause the game to stutter.

My understanding is that the "Reduce for"  second value should prevent this constant swapping and hold the reduced LOD (60 seconds by default) for the specified length of seconds

Am I misunderstanding this or is this a bug?

Also, what is the "Reduce only for INdices (#).." value mean?

Cheers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

enjoy as long as MS does not ban us all.

Thanks to everyone for having the guts to test this out and provide/share this. I could not even figure out how to download the thing on github LOL. Thanks to the creator and of course @FBW737 for the detailed instructions, I was able to download and get this up and going in just minutes! If MS bans us, we should ban them - I mean I've never had such great smooth takeoff and landings until running this brilliant add-on. Asobo, take notice! Well done! I do understand *why* Asobo would definitely not want the memory bits messed with, but doesn't FSUIPC do something like that anyway (which has been around forever?)

Asobo should include this "tweak" within the base program, no questions asked! Just when I thought that the sky color tweak couldn't be beat, along comes this program - that just adds to how talented (and dedicated) our community is!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Stona said:

I've been playing around the FPS Adaption section and whilst it reacts when the sim drops below the target average FPS, it doesn't seep to recognise the "Reduce for" value!  This means  it's constantly changing the LOD back and forth between the assigned TLOD level and the FPS Adaption "reduce by" level cause the game to stutter.

My understanding is that the "Reduce for"  second value should prevent this constant swapping and hold the reduced LOD (60 seconds by default) for the specified length of seconds

Am I misunderstanding this or is this a bug?

Also, what is the "Reduce only for INdices (#).." value mean?

Cheers

I noticed this too. It'd be neat if instead of shooting back up to your max LOD (causing frame spikes and objects fading in and out), it would instead step the LOD up/down in increments and "level off" at a value that would hold your FPS target. i.e. you set your target to 40 FPS, your max target LOD is 300. If your FPS dips below 40, it'd reduce the LOD in increments (say 10 LOD at a time) until your FPS stabilized at 40, then hold that LOD (say it's 260). Then, when there's a bit of overhead (FPS increasing above your target), it would do the inverse and increase your LOD in increments of 10 until it reached your target again. I think this would result in a far less noticeable culling of objects, and a smoother experience. There would also be no need for the altitude thing since it'd be completely dependent on your target FPS.

Edited by V1ROTA7E

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

15 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

enjoy as long as MS does not ban us all

I'm guessing that isn't a serious comment, but if using a purely visual tweak like this would get you banned, using ReShade would also get you in the slammer. 

Has anyone noticed that after decent LOD value does not decrease to the minimum set (0:0.5 in my setup) and stays at 1 when taxing at airport.

Although during take off LOD values are changing as configured. 

Edited by MindeK

7 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

I noticed this too. It'd be neat if instead of shooting back up to your max LOD (causing frame spikes and objects fading in and out), it would instead step the LOD up/down in increments and "level off" at a value that would hold your FPS target. i.e. you set your target to 40 FPS, your max target LOD is 300. If your FPS dips below 40, it'd reduce the LOD in increments (say 10 LOD at a time) until your FPS stabilized at 40, then hold that LOD (say it's 260). Then, when there's a bit of overhead (FPS increasing above your target), it would do the inverse and increase your LOD in increments of 10 until it reached your target again. I think this would result in a far less noticeable culling of objects, and a smoother experience. There would also be no need for the altitude thing since it'd be completely dependent on your target FPS.

That is roughly what MSFS_AdaptiveLOD is doing and that Approach does not work well with how the Sim reacts to changes. From what I heard (and experienced myself) it was used based on AGL/Altitude and not based on FPS because of that.
Also you're missing something: It can be clearly/safely determined when to reduce LOD in accordance to FPS - but that is not really the Case for increasing it further. You can't know if the next Value keeps the FPS above Target. Only when it was set - and then it is either bounce back or ignore the FPS Target.

You have to tune the AGL/LOD Pairs to the desired Performance. Which is not solely defined by FPS - having 30 FPS is reasonably fine when taxing on a big/hefty Airport. The Problem is the Stuttering caused by the Sim spending so much Time on Objects you can't even see in such Situations.
FPS Adaption is only there to fight rare/special Case where the configured Pairs are temporary too much. I personally even don't use it since some Cloud-Types (their Transparency) considerably lower my FPS (MSFS switches from being CPU limited to GPU limited). Leading to unnecessary LOD Changes which can even have the opposite Effect of reducing FPS further (since the Sim is forced to un/load a Bunch of Objects).

=> Smooth Transitions lead to smoother Experiences.

6 hours ago, JacquesBrel said:

I'm guessing that isn't a serious comment, but if using a purely visual tweak like this would get you banned, using ReShade would also get you in the slammer. 

Nope, it is not a visual Tweak. The Behavior of the Sim and its core Systems are actively modified. It should be obvious that this Tool is "more extreme" than Reshade.
Besides that, ReShade alone can cause Problems on competitive Games (using Anti-Cheat Clients) because is already "too much" there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1