Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

Thanks for that explanation RALF9636, that's really helpful and I'll have another look at my settings to see how I can make things even better. For now though I am really happy. I've been looking for ever for some magic button that would allow me to have a fair amount of traffic active at a large airport whilst still being able to taxi. land etc without immersion breaking stutters. It was always the case that drastically reducing LODs would achieve this but at the cost of severely impairing the visuals once you gained altitude. To have the ability to change LODs automatically is simply wonderful and I hope Asobo react well to this utility and embrace it's objectives.

• Like 1

Someone else in this thread asked the DEV on github if he planned a VR version. Sorry can remember which one of you guys it was. In the discussion the dev said: ""2D" is a bit wrong" He appeared to be referring to the mystery issue and warning not to us it. Later in that discussion I posted this question:  "Any plans on fixing the thing that's a bit wrong about it in an update? It works like a charm. Could be the biggest thing yet for improved performance on approach and on the ground." To which he didn't reply and closed the discussion. Perhaps I broke some protocol. Anyway this is going to create a fire storm. The cat is out of the bag. There is no putting the jenny back in the bottle! This should be integrated into the SIM! But I have a feeling I know whats going on here! 🤔🤪

It will probably transpire that we are not allowed to use and you won't be allowed to download it anymore. Well I've already go it and here's my message:

Edited by FBW737

13 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

Someone else in this thread asked the DEV on github if he planned a VR version. Sorry can remember which one of you guys it was. In the discussion the dev said: ""2D" is a bit wrong" He appeared to be referring to the mystery issue and warning not to us it. Later in that discussion I posted this question:  "Any plans on fixing the thing that's a bit wrong about it in an update? It works like a charm. Could be the biggest thing yet for improved performance on approach and on the ground." To which he didn't reply and closed the discussion. Perhaps I broke some protocol. Anyway this is going to create a fire storm. The cat is out of the bag. There is no putting the jenny back in the bottle! This should be integrated into the SIM! But I have a feeling I know whats going on here! 🤔🤪

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. When he said "2D is a bit wrong" he just meant that the term "2D" in contrast to "VR" is a bit wrong as VR is also just two 2D screens. He wasn't talking about his app being wrong. At least that is how I read it.

Edited by RALF9636

13 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. When he said "2D is a bit wrong" he just meant that the term "2D" in contrast to "VR" is a bit wrong as VR is also just two 2D screens. He wasn't talking about his app being wrong. At least that is how I read it.

Looking again, I think your right. I misinterpreted the comment.

1 hour ago, RALF9636 said:

Foremost the app sets the LODs according to altitude - as per the left side of the UI. The FPS Adaptation on the right side of the UI just creates a kind of shift down of all the altitude dependent LOD values by the set amount ("reduce LODs by") whenever the target FPS (which reasonably should be 1 FPS below your limit in the sim) is not reached any more. It then maintains this shift for the set amount of time ("Reduce for")  until it reverts to the original value set on the left side and checks again if the target FPS is reached. That repetitive check of course can lead to a stutter when the target FPS still can't be reached with the TLOD set on the left side. The LOD goes up by the "reduce LODs by" value momentarily until the app notices that your FPS drop again with that LOD-level and so the LOD gets reduced again. That's why I increased the "reduce for" value to 300 (=5 minutes).

So effectively - if set up properly according to your system and sim settings - it practically gives you two sets of altitude depending LOD values and it automatically switches between them according to the FPS load. So for example the app gives you the LOD values set on the left side when you approach a small airport that does not cause performance problems. But with the same settings the app gives you the values reduced by for example 0.5 when you approach a large third party hub where you cannot maintain the target FPS with the LOD setting you specified on the left side.

I provided my settings on page 6 of this thread. Just play around with that if you want.

It was the latest Nvidia driver that caused problems for me, I went back a few steps and now it works perfectly, this mod will save me a lot of money 😃😃

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

9 hours ago, KL Oo said:

It is

zdjjmbK.jpg

That looks great except at that size low frame rate will be vastly more discernable than will smaller screen sizes, which has to do w/ the amount of movement per frame displayed.  Maybe in a few more years...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

It was the latest Nvidia driver that caused problems for me, I went back a few steps and now it works perfectly, this mod will save me a lot of money 😃😃

Which driver you find working best? I'm also at the latest driver and noticed that it gives some stuttering... 

Tapani Österberg

4 hours ago, roi1862 said:

Do you guys notice some stutter or slow down when jumping from LOD to LOD ? 

I was checkin it closely and could not see anything abnormal when the lod was changed, my current sequence is LOD 100 > 150 > 200.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

19 minutes ago, Virtpilot said:

Which driver you find working best? I'm also at the latest driver and noticed that it gives some stuttering... 

I'm using 537.58 at the moment, someone was recommending that one at the Nvidia forum, and it seems to work just fine.

• Like 1

Continuing to have great success with the DynamicLOD app. I've added some more values the DynamicLOD.dll My experience with the number of seconds required for the LOD values to return to normal is 30 seconds works better for me than 60 since I hardly see it drop below the target at all during a flight. I also haven't seen any visual indication at the moment the load changes. No stutter, no objects appearing or disappearing. I've changed the Presets:

<add key="tlodPairs" value="0:1|1500:2|5000:4|10000:5" />
    <add key="olodPairs" value="0:3" />

OLOD doesn't seem to me to effect performance much. TLOD is the real culprit in my experience. So I've basically set OLOD to 300 at 0AGL for kicks and so far with one flight so good. I probably going to try 400 for OLOD too!🤪

It strikes me that the lower you get the higher the OLOD required should be, and that the higher you get higher the TLOD should be. It seem to be backwards to me.

I going to reverse the way the OLOD settings act and see what happens.🤔

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, Divij said:

Does the developer of this utility have a discord server that we can use to get in touch with him?

Would love to find out if he has plans to add support for VR by changing LOD settings in the VR Menu as well as the 2D one. 

I may have a look at the code see if I understand something, then if I can extend it to VR.

• Like 3

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

I don't use the fps option in the program, I have my game locked at 48 fps and my computer has no problem holding that above 2000 feet at LOD 200 and LOD 100 on the ground, this mod is incredible, a real game changer for sure.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

That looks great except at that size low frame rate will be vastly more discernable than will smaller screen sizes, which has to do w/ the amount of movement per frame displayed.  Maybe in a few more years...

I bet you wish you had that setup.

28 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

I may have a look at the code see if I understand something, then if I can extend it to VR.

I would be eternally grateful, if you need a guinea pig to help test I'm happy to help 🙂

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Has anyone tested how low you can go in LOD on the ground before you see a deterioration?