Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

2 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

I assume you got it to work by installing the mobiflight-event-module?

Where did you put that folder?

In the community folder.

The program reads altitude and fps, and changes TLOD at the start.

It reads my altitude as I pass through my altitude tresholds, but does not change TLOD accordingly - although the program reads my altitude correctly all the time

I'll stick my neck out! IT WORKS!!!!

I've only taken one proper test flight and I happy to report it works.

It throw a couple of curved ball at me. I though perhaps it wasn't working and switched to DX11 to see if that made a difference. There was a difference but I'm confident I just missed it in DX12 so I'll switch back to DX12 for more testing. The GUI might give you a bit of a bum steer because although it has a readout for TLOD AND OLOD it always just reads zero giving the impression it cant read the values from the SIM. BUT right down the bottom of the GUI it has presets for OLOD and TLOD. It has 3 setting for each one which can be customized but I just left them as they are. Basically it has a preset LOD for dropping below for 5000agl  2500agl and 1000agl which if I recall are for TLOD 2, 1.5 and 1 respectively. Bear in mind that on the slider in MSFS the 2 would be 200 and the 1.5 would be 150 and 1 would be 100. The values are slightly different for OLOD but the same applies. I noticed at some point the GUI "Sim Value" reading for OLOD and TLOD although always zero the digit did turn to red instead of black and also one of the 3 altitude presets would be highlighted in grey depending on which altitude zone you where in. So if you are above 5000agl none of them are highlighted and your LOD value is whatever you have it set to in the MSFS slider. If you drop below 5000agl that preset gets highlighted in grey and the app changes your LOD to the preset value for below 5000agl which is 2 or 200 on the slider so it halves it and below 2500agl it sets it 1.5 or 150 on the slider and then below 1000agl drops to 1 or 100 on the slider. I pretty sure that above 5000agl if the FPS drops below the target it dynamically reduces LOD to maintain the FPS. That's what the "FPS Adaption" box is all about. And I think that's what the digit for OLOD and TLOD which is constantly zero turning red is all about.

I noticed all of this on final from above 5000agl into KLAX with lots of traffic. I had 30 fps all the way in. I'd usually fly that approach with my FPS locked to 24hz and get 48fps from my TV's frame interpolation but even then at KLAX I'd see FPS below 20 with TLOD at 400 which is what I use. I get pretty close to the 24fps until I was on the grounds then the word not allowed would fall out of it. This time I got 30fps until I was on the ground but it dropped to a constant 24fps on the ground and I'm wondering if the app had something to do with that too.

I also founds that since I lock my FPS with refresh rate I have to set the target FPS in the APP to the same value which seemed to work fine. Anyway it looks like it could do with a little more work. I figure those TLOD and OLOD readouts that are always Zero are suppose to show what value the sim is actually using. I also did not notice any eye catching visual changes in the scenery as the LOD values changed but it was at late dusk.

I am concerned about the warning not to use it Github though.🤔

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've seen enough to see that it definitely works but its maybe a bit buggy. I have seen the TLOD and OLOD in the GUI show a value of 1 instead of zero and I've also seen the Sliders in the MSFS set to 100 by the app at the same time and I have seen 30fps locked on the ground while at KLAX with tons of traffic while TLOD and OLOD where set to 1 and at that time I shut the app down and manually rest the sliders to 200 and 400 respectively and returned to the scenario to see 18 to 19 fps where previously there was 30 so it definitely works. Like anything else it might take a while to figure out its quirks. And still there is that warning!🤔

1 hour ago, FBW737 said:

Yeah, I've seen enough to see that it definitely works but its maybe a bit buggy. I have seen the TLOD and OLOD in the GUI show a value of 1 instead of zero and I've also seen the Sliders in the MSFS set to 100 by the app at the same time and I have seen 30fps locked on the ground while at KLAX with tons of traffic while TLOD and OLOD where set to 1 and at that time I shut the app down and manually rest the sliders to 200 and 400 respectively and returned to the scenario to see 18 to 19 fps where previously there was 30 so it definitely works. Like anything else it might take a while to figure out its quirks. And still there is that warning!🤔

Throw him a message on GitHub with some feedback - Hopefully it will continue to evolve like Fenix2GSX did.  

I'm going to try it tomorrow. 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

5 hours ago, LGKR said:

In the community folder.

The program reads altitude and fps, and changes TLOD at the start.

It reads my altitude as I pass through my altitude tresholds, but does not change TLOD accordingly - although the program reads my altitude correctly all the time

Make sure to use "." not "," for decimals. So for example 1.5 (means TLOD 150) instead of 1,5 (is read as TLOD 1500!). That gave me some quirks initially.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Not sure if it's working as intended, or I don't understand how to work it correctly.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the ability to maintain a specific framerate. This appears to adjust TLOD based on AGL, but doesn't make adjustments based on Framerate. (this doesn't recognize Frame Gen BTW, so set half of what your desired target is)

I went for a pretty extreme setting of TLOD 6 at 1000 AGL, hoping that it would reduce TLOD to maintain my FPS target, but it didn't. Pretty sure i'm missing something.

That is not how it is supposed to work.

Foremost it sets the LODs according to altitude. As per the left side of the UI.

The FPS target on the right side of the UI just creates a kind of shift down of all the altitude dependent LOD values by the set amount whenever the target FPS is not reached any more. It then maintains this shift for the set amount of time until it checks again if the target FPS is reached.

So effectively - if set up properly according to your system and sim settings - it practically gives you two sets of altitude depending LOD values and it automatically switches between them according to the FPS load.

So it is not supposed to continuously adapt LODs until a certain FPS is reached. That was an optional feature of the previous version but it didn't work - it induced major stuttering. Maybe that's the reason why the dev of the current app designed it this way.

Fired it up, and have the MSFS icon in green, but simconnect and session in red.  

I have the steam version of the sim installed to the default location, and the TLOD app in a folder on my desktop.  Anything I could be doing wrong?

5 hours ago, Langeveldt said:

Fired it up, and have the MSFS icon in green, but simconnect and session in red.

You probably miss the Mobyflight component, see below:

• Like 1

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

11 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

You probably miss the Mobyflight component, see below:

Thanks.  Sorted it.  Now to see if this works.  I am intrigued. 

Tested this morning, seems to work as expected, very useful!

I tried LOD 0 while on the ground. Terrain disappeared and my aircraft felled down in the empty space :biggrin:

• Like 1

Roland

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

3 hours ago, Langeveldt said:

Thanks.  Sorted it.  Now to see if this works.  I am intrigued. 

How did you sorted it ? I didnt understand and i still got simconnect in red. 

Roi Ben

7 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

How did you sorted it ? I didnt understand and i still got simconnect in red. 

Download the Mobyflight WASM module HERE

Unzip and copy content in your community

• Like 2

Roland

2 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

Download the Mobyflight WASM module HERE

Unzip and copy content in your community

Gotcha ! Thanks ! 

Roi Ben

I gave this a go and managed to get it working well in 2D!

However the TLOD and OLOD values only change in the 2D sim settings, not the VR sim settings.

Has anyone tested this in VR and got the LOD settings to change? This would be great for VR!