Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

I am convinced that there is something weird going on. The box on the DymanicLOD app GUI named Sim Values has a read out for TLOD and for OLOD. If you are running the APP and it appears to be doing its thing and these two read outs are persistently zero even if the 0 digit is occassional changing from black to red so long as its staying at 0 the app is not reading or changing these values in the sim.

I have see these values change according to what they should be based on the TLOD and OLOD Levels presets at the bottom of the GUI and in accordance with the FPS adaption setting. I've also confirmed in the the TLOD and OLOD setting have actually changed by verifying the sliders in the MSFS Graphics Setting GUI had actually moved.

However, I only seen all of this this on one occasion of running the app! Every other time I've run it the TLOD and OLOD values in the GUI have stayed at zero and I've checked in the MSFS Graphics GUI if the LOD values have changed based on the altitude presets and they have not!

So it seems to me that this app has ran properly for me once and all the other multiple time I've ran it it is failing to read LOD values and failing to change them.

Maybe its done some thing to MSFS. I'm still wondering about the warning.

4 hours ago, roland_lfor said:

Tested this morning, seems to work as expected, very useful!

I tried LOD 0 while on the ground. Terrain disappeared and my aircraft felled down in the empty space :biggrin:

You should try LOD -1...  I ended up in Tatooine!  :unsure:

• Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Does the developer of this utility have a discord server that we can use to get in touch with him?

Would love to find out if he has plans to add support for VR by changing LOD settings in the VR Menu as well as the 2D one. 

17 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

I am convinced that there is something weird going on. The box on the DymanicLOD app GUI named Sim Values has a read out for TLOD and for OLOD. If you are running the APP and it appears to be doing its thing and these two read outs are persistently zero even if the 0 digit is occassional changing from black to red so long as its staying at 0 the app is not reading or changing these values in the sim.

I have see these values change according to what they should be based on the TLOD and OLOD Levels presets at the bottom of the GUI and in accordance with the FPS adaption setting. I've also confirmed in the the TLOD and OLOD setting have actually changed by verifying the sliders in the MSFS Graphics Setting GUI had actually moved.

However, I only seen all of this this on one occasion of running the app! Every other time I've run it the TLOD and OLOD values in the GUI have stayed at zero and I've checked in the MSFS Graphics GUI if the LOD values have changed based on the altitude presets and they have not!

So it seems to me that this app has ran properly for me once and all the other multiple time I've ran it it is failing to read LOD values and failing to change them.

Maybe its done some thing to MSFS. I'm still wondering about the warning.

I have made three complete flights with this app and everything works perfect for me. I never see a zero in the UI for TLOD and OLOD.

Maybe you messed up some settings. You might want to try mine (for an FPS limit of 30 in the sim). Just copy and paste into your DynamicLOD.dll.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="mfLvarPerFrame" value="15" />
    <add key="logFilePath" value="DynamicLOD.log" />
    <add key="logLevel" value="Debug" />
    <add key="waitForConnect" value="true" />
    <add key="openWindow" value="true" />
    <add key="simBinary" value="FlightSimulator" />
    <add key="simModule" value="WwiseLibPCx64P.dll" />
    <add key="tlodPairs" value="0:0.8|500:1|1000:1.1|2000:1.2|3000:1.3|5000:1.4|8000:1.6|12000:1.8|16000:2|20000:2.5|24000:3" />
    <add key="olodPairs" value="0:2" />
    <add key="useTargetFps" value="true" />
    <add key="targetFpsIndex" value="0" />
    <add key="targetFps" value="29" />
    <add key="constraintTicks" value="300" />
    <add key="decreaseTlod" value="0.3" />
    <add key="decreaseOlod" value="1" />
    <add key="minLod" value="0.5" />
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

You should try LOD -1...  I ended up in Tatooine!  :unsure:

Use The Force Rob,

You won’t have any LOD issues then 😂

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

24 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I have made three complete flights with this app and everything works perfect for me. I never see a zero in the UI for TLOD and OLOD.

Maybe you messed up some settings. You might want to try mine (for an FPS limit of 30 in the sim). Just copy and paste into your DynamicLOD.dll.config:

Thanks, I've gotten to the bottom of it. It works correctly for me if I run it as administrator. It says in the instruction on GitHub 'no need to run as administrator' so I complied.

I run the MSFS as Administrator so I'll try running MSFS without admin and see if the app runs properly without admin. Anyway it appears I have my wrinkles ironed out and it does work really well.

Edit:

Yeah if you run MSFS as administrator you also have to run the app as administrator otherwise it wont read or change load values.

If you don't run MSFS as administrator then there is no need to run the app as administrator.

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

<add key="tlodPairs" value="0:0.8|500:1|1000:1.1|2000:1.2|3000:1.3|5000:1.4|8000:1.6|12000:1.8|16000:2|20000:2.5|24000:3" />
    <add key="olodPairs" value="0:2" />

Interesting the way you set the LOD values.

21 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Because everybodies setup is different mate. I've got a triple 4K monitor setup. I can maintain 30FPS in the PMDG at mid size airports but with little traffic. If I had a dynamic LOD slider then I might be able to get that at larger airports or load in more traffic. 

Not everybody's system is the same.

Thanks for reminding me why I didn't do 4K let alone x3.  With the hardware you're running PMDG at midsize at 30FPS?  Horrid I hope it's all worth it for you.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Raised an issue regarding VR implementation on GitHub and had a prompt reply saying that changing settings for the VR menu is not planned.

However the developer did say that because it's open source I am free to dig around and try.

Now for the hard part, I don't have the faintest idea of how I would do that.

If anyone is interested in VR implementation of this utility and knows how that could be done, I'm all ears 🙂

• Like 2

Its seems to be doing what its meant to do. I am just surprised how little effect high TLOD have on sepia effect at night…

i was thinking 400 and 500 would push it all the way to the horizon at high alt

Roi Ben

Its game changer. After SU14 I thought it couldn't get any better for a while but this is the icing on the cake. No more FPS drop on approach or landing as I see it. Plus no visual degradation that I can see with the very small exception on painted lines on the tarmac with more jagged edges than they have a higher LOD. A very small price to pay for smoothness on approach and landing.

Here's a short video showing it in action. The sim losses focus when the DymanicLOD app GUI is on screen so you cant keep it up there a use clickspots:

Usually by the time I hit the ground on that approuch I'm down to low 20s FPS and cannot even maintain smoothness at 23hz. Sometimes even hitting 20fps but you can see for yourself here it's a solid 30fps all the way. Now I already new I could do this at LOD 100 but there was no way to go from LOD 400/200 without Interrupting the flight and going to MSFS GUI to change it!

Edit: Note that just after 2:30 in the video when panning the FPS drops below the target of 29 and both load values chance to red and drop by 0.5 and as per the setting it revert back to the preset after 30 seconds.

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 2

Reading this thread with interest. Question: Do you run this module before every startup of MSFS, or is it a one time setup thing?

Ken

17 minutes ago, BaronKen said:

Reading this thread with interest. Question: Do you run this module before every startup of MSFS, or is it a one time setup thing?

Once you download and install the only thing that you have to in the Run the DynamicLOD executable which I have setup a shortcut for on desktop. There are setting in the GUI that you can change to your liking. I made minimal changes to it. There are a couple of gotchas but read the thread to avoid them. At least the one identified so far. On Github the Dev gave a cryptic warning about using it so use it at your own risk. It would be nice if we could get more info about the possible issue with it because it works like a charm. I think its the biggest break through in the SIM that I've seen. I said a couple of years ago that we need an app that does this.

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 1

OK I have been following this thread with extreme interest,

Being the huge chicken that I am lol would you all say this is safe to use? It doesn't change anything serious that cannot be undone by restarting the sim without this app running?

I might give this a try tomorrow when I have made a full backup of my C drive and MSFS installation 🤣

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

OK I have been following this thread with extreme interest,

Being the huge chicken that I am lol would you all say this is safe to use? It doesn't change anything serious that cannot be undone by restarting the sim without this app running?

I might give this a try tomorrow when I have made a full backup of my C drive and MSFS installation 🤣

I don't know for sure but based on the comment on Github I'd say it's a risk. Virtuali basicly suggested that i does not use the SDK to do what it does. It's seems to be suggested that there is a hack of MSFS involved which does not necessarily do any harm but?

I does howover seem to me to be already indispensable since it totally addresses performance issue on approach and on the ground. MSFS biggest Achilles heel. IMO

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 1