Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

Does it matters, where to extract them? I have them in my temp folder and it seems to be working, reads and changes the lod values. 

Edit: I wonder why my desktop shortcut does not work? I have to start the app from the folder. Not a big deal but I wonder why..?

Edited by Virtpilot
Addition

Tapani Österberg

Here my tests done with 2 views at Amsterdam Schiphol. On the screenshots only the middle display and at left top corner you see the FPS.

Full OC with lots of thick clouds so the framerate is about 10% lower than with Fair Weather,

FG only / LOD App not running (tLOD + oLOD both at 150 as always )

IMG-8027.jpg

FG / LOD app running ( default app settings / FPS feature disabled )

IMG-8029.jpg

You can clearly see an improvement in FPS. More than 20% ! ( + 25% )

Now I will have to test how stable the app is.

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 6

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 hours ago, scotchegg said:

MS / Asobo have shown themselves to be (sometimes) receptive to input, so why not ping them about it? Unlikely much will happen over the end of the year, but....

Well, you're talking about MS foremost here - having roughly the same "Flexibility" in interpreting Rules as an Federal Agency.

It is a dangerous double-edged Sword. When looking at the Atmospheric Values, there certainly was enough "Pressure" build up through so many User willing to even hack their Installation so it was hard to ignore for MS/Asobo. But at the same Time they where *very actively* Moderating these Topics because they really really do not ever want you to modify/hack their Product in such a Way.
There is a Chance that you (or anyone else) will only cut yourself with that.

I don't think that the Root Issue of MSFS2020 can or will be fixed ever. Maybe MSFS2024 can do it better through better Multi-Core and other architectural Changes.
But: a Quick-Fix to ease the Symptoms is imaginable. The single most important Improvement is to have two different LODs for Ground & Air. So just one additional Slider for "Ground TLOD" with MSFS switching at a fixed AGL (~1000?) between Air and Ground TLOD would benefit already most Users.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I cannot possibly change the TLOD value to 2.5, it just changes to 250 and kills the game. What's funny is that the value of 1.5 works absolutely fine.

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

Thank you very much. 
That would be a great help for many…

OK, I did say I'd do this even though I saw your posts and I'm sure you figured it out.

But in brief here's what you do:

1. Click on this download link to get the required Mobiflight event Module:

https://github.com/MobiFlight/MobiFlight-WASM-Module/releases/download/0.7.1/mobiflight-event-module-0.7.1.zip

Unzip the package and place the folder in your community folder just like any other addon.

2. Click this download link to get the DymanicLOD app: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Fragtality/DynamicLOD/master/DynamicLOD-latest.zip

Unzip the package and place the folder in a reasonable place where it will live. In that folder there is an executable. Looking at the content of the folder it's the

colourful one that looks like a rev counter. It looks very different from everything else in there. I made a desktop shortcut for it. I assume everyone knows how to do that.

Run the program by clicking on the desktop shortcut you just made or the executable in the file directly. If you do not already have the requites .net components already installed it will prompt you to do so and guide you through the process.

3. Once that's done the DynamicLOD User Interface will appear on screen. Leave it alone for now. Start MSFS. If you are accustomed to running MSFS as administrator you must also run DymanicLOD as administrator or it won't work or at least in my case it didn't. So on this occassion Run MSFS without Administrator. As MSFS starts you will see in the Connection Status box on the UI the MSFS indicator will turn from red to green. Hit ALT+Ent to put MSFS in windowed mode and make the window small enough so that you can see both MSFS and the DynamicLOD UI on screen at the same time. At some point just before the MSFS Welcome screen appears the SimConnect indicator will also turn green and in the Sim Values box the FPS reading will appear and all the other values will remain zero. Pick an aircraft and airport that you know is going to hammer your fps. Click Ready To Fly when it appears. Shortly after it starts the Session indicator will turn green and the rest of the Values in the Sim Values will populate.

4. Have some tissues on hand to dry your tears of joy as you realize the FPS value in the Sim Values box is indicated in green and reads 29.97 when in your heart you know it should about 21 or 22.

5. You'll see the TLOD and OLOD values correspond with the altitude presets in the TLOD Levels and OLOD Levels UI boxes below.

6. Fly straight out  and climb. As you pass the preset altitudes above ground as indicated in the Sim Values box you will notice the OLOD and TLOD change to the corresponding value.

7. On the Right of the UI if there is a check mark in the "Open window on App start" box the UI will open every time you start the app otherwise it will be in the system tray.

8. In the FPS Adaption box you can set a target frame rate box. If the FPS drops below this target, TLOD and OLOD values will be reduced by the amounts indicated to reduce LOD and thereby restore FPS to target. Those LOD values will persist until such a time as the FPS has not dropped below the target for the number of seconds in the Reduce for box. This only operates when the TLOD and OLOD are above the Minimum LOD value. It also only works when the LOD values  equal to or higher than the value indicated by the line number in TLOD Levels and OLOD Levels.

9. You can edit TLOD Levels and OLOD Levels by double clicking on a row and changing the values then clicking S or you can add row by imputing values in the boxes and clicking + or you can remove a row by double clicking on it and click -. I noticed that if you duplicate a row it cause DynamicLOD to crash!

I'd suggest leave the presets as they are unless you have problems. You Might add a TLOD line for 400.

That's all folks!

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 16
  • Upvote 5

Thank you very much !

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

14 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

... in brief here's what you do:

Thanks for putting these advice together.

Let me add this:

- Pay attention if you use "." or "," for decimal values. Maybe one or the other works for you depending on your Windows settings. If you get weird results with decimal values check this first.

- I would encourage everyone to change the default values according to his system and needs. It can easily be done in the UI or by editing the DynamicLOD.dll.config file. I tried all kinds of settings with the sim running and both the app and the sim were completely stable throughout all my testing.

- Remember that you need to close the app from the system tray before you try to restart the app. Closing the window alone does not close the app.

- You can even have several different installations of the app with different settings each. Just copy the main folder of the app and then start the exe from the copy. So I have one installation for the Fenix where the TLOD goes from 0.8 on the ground to 3.0 at FL240 in ten steps (with an FPS adaption value of 0.3). And another one for GA flying where the TLOD goes from 1.2 on the ground to 3.5 at FL080 in ten steps (with an FPS adaption value of 0.5).

- enjoy as long as MS does not ban us all.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

That's all folks!

Very well done! Thank you.

• Like 2

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Hopefully this app will be compatible with further beta updates …..

Double post 

13 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

Edited by GSalden

9 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

Nope.

The first mandatory update has just been released today.

I am curious next time I start MSFS and install this update, if the app still works ..,

And I am one of many who are in the beta team.

Edited by GSalden

The app writes the LOD values directly to the MSFS memory. The memory location of these values can very likely change each and every time MSFS is updated. So the author of the app might have to update the app every time MSFS is updated.

Edited by JacquesBrel

22 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

The app writes the LOD values directly to the MSFS memory. The memory location of these values can very likely change each and every time MSFS is updated. So the author of the app might have to update the app every time MSFS is updated.

That’s what I was afraid of. It might stop working tomorrow when I have to install the update from today.

Or has someone installed it and can confirm that the app still works?

2 hours ago, FBW737 said:

But in brief here's what you do:

Appreciate this,

Just backing up my C Drive and I am going to give this a go 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png