Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

What was the best / worst of MSFS in 2023

Best
WU15 with the new nordic TIN-areas and DEM update. Nothing comes close to that immersion. Add a VR headset and it's basically no point in heading out to my local airport and fly real planes....

Worst
ground handling is still lol.

• Like 6

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

On 12/31/2023 at 11:23 AM, jcomm said:

- FBW A320 NEO (still the one I find feels great for an Airbus FBW when hand flown...)

Thank you for the Kudos!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAS443 said:

WU15 with the new nordic TIN-areas and DEM update. Nothing comes close to that immersion.

I’m waiting until the summer to fly around there again. Don’t trust the slightly-better-but-still-no-cigar snow coverage to not ruin the experience at the moment.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

The best of 2023 is overall MSFS finally lived up to the hype. So many great add-ons. Performance is excellent. It just all came together. The worst of 2023 was the announcement of MSFS 2024. It took us years to get to where we are, and i would have rather had them focusing on the things that are still weak. ATC, AI traffic and a host of other issues still incomplete. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, RobJC said:

The best of 2023 is overall MSFS finally lived up to the hype. So many great add-ons. Performance is excellent. It just all came together. The worst of 2023 was the announcement of MSFS 2024. It took us years to get to where we are, and i would have rather had them focusing on the things that are still weak. ATC, AI traffic and a host of other issues still incomplete. 

That's mainly why FS2024 is being done.  2020 can't handle what we and they want it to do.  Not sure if you had the chance to watch the video at FSExpo where Jorg and Seb talked at length about some of what 2024 will bring and why.

Now, whether it will help with ATC and AI traffic, who knows, but there's bigger fish to fry, IMO, than those things.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Just now, Jeff Nielsen said:

That's mainly why FS2024 is being done.  2020 can't handle what we and they want it to do.  Not sure if you had the chance to watch the video at FSExpo where Jorg and Seb talked at length about some of what 2024 will bring and why.

I haven’t so maybe i will do that. Thanks. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Posted (edited)

Okay i just looked at that interview. Doesn’t sound great for ATC or AI traffic. I guess my main concerns would be:

1. Reliability of a more cloud focused platform, as connection problems are an issue today. 
2. The long process of sorting out bugs with the new platform. It took a long time to get here and it feels like starting over. 
3. Compatibility issues with existing add-ons. 
4. Critical features that are still missing will be put on the back burner. 
5. Reading all the negativity which is almost guaranteed to occur once this thing releases. Because a lot of things will not work. 

I get that they felt they were reaching a dead end with 2020 technology wise, but i am pretty happy with 2020 after all the effort and think i will stick with it for a few years, as it will most likely take that long to sort out. But we’ll see.

Edited by RobJC

Good Topic

BEST

- Working Title for the significant additions to some of the default aircraft

- @Fragtality for their work on Fenix2GSX and DynamicLOD

- @virtuali & @Kaiii3 for their work on GSX and AIG AI Traffic respectively.

WORST

- The lack of updates from Asobo on multi monitor support (the ability to zoom, setup individual aircraft configurations)

- The lack of updates from Asobo on ATC/AI Traffic 

- The lack of updates from Asobo on performance improvements (I mean we've been asking for DynamicLOD for three years and it took a freeware Dev to make it happen).

Looking forward to 2024 for the aircraft and new SIM it will bring. Fingers crossed that the issues that clearly were too much for Asobo in the current version are addressed in the new one

• Like 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

The best:

The usual suspects, Fenix, iniBuilds (their newest update they really leveled up the A300, now finally the dome circuit breakers and the rear wall circuit breakers are illuminated and all the fixes I made for the beta version are now implemented! SUPERB! Only a few details to fix remain like still a handful of cockpit elements on the radio panel or the flight engineer APU panel etc. are not illuminated at night, and a few visual glitches to fix in the cabin / freight room and this bird is PERFECT absolutely on Fenix-level!). And of course my third new horse in the stable, Black Square.

Negative:

I simply don´t care about the rest 😄

On 12/31/2023 at 3:29 AM, DAD said:

Best:

-announcement of MS2024

-FBW contribution 

-FG mod

-SU14

Worst:

-my recent landing attempt at ENNO

-meaningless titles at Avsim

-terminal interiors of airport sceneries

too many acronyms, FBW, FG?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tierborn said:

too many acronyms, FBW, FG?

FBW = FlyByWire. i.e. A320 neo

FG = Frame Generation (see here)

SU = Sim Update

ENNO = Notodden Airport

Edited by DAD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

No doubt WT upgrades. 
avionics from which flows the longitude, hjet, vjet, etc. their 78x and 748 which gave the 788 and 789. 

Finished the year strong with the f14 and the lear35a. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

10 hours ago, RobJC said:

Okay i just looked at that interview. Doesn’t sound great for ATC or AI traffic. I guess my main concerns would be:

1. Reliability of a more cloud focused platform, as connection problems are an issue today. 
2. The long process of sorting out bugs with the new platform. It took a long time to get here and it feels like starting over. 
3. Compatibility issues with existing add-ons. 
4. Critical features that are still missing will be put on the back burner. 
5. Reading all the negativity which is almost guaranteed to occur once this thing releases. Because a lot of things will not work. 

I get that they felt they were reaching a dead end with 2020 technology wise, but i am pretty happy with 2020 after all the effort and think i will stick with it for a few years, as it will most likely take that long to sort out. But we’ll see.

Jorg said in a dev Q&A that your add ons will still work and you can move your community folder right over.

• Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

1 hour ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Jorg said in a dev Q&A that your add ons will still work and you can move your community folder right over.

I hope that is accurate. But I am a bit skeptical.