Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

What was the best / worst of MSFS in 2023

The best of 2023:

• Comanche A2A is awesome
  • Vulcan from Just Flight is awesome
  • Continued free updates including World Updates are always welcome
  • Support from community modders creating fantastic content (free & paid) carries on and has gone up a few levels - Thank You

The worst of 2023:

• Lead Devs who continue to ignore blatant VR issues and lack of expanding the features
  • Extremely bad Quality Control for updates & past issues/bugs continues on for another year
  • Beta Periods being practically pointless as seen with SU14
  • I haven't bought the F-14 yet...

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

The best of 2023:

• Working Title's work on the 787
  • Horizon Simulations' 787-9 & Kuro's 787-8
  • Several high quality airport releases for big hubs
  • Inibuilds' A300-600
  • The relative stability of MSFS, at least outside of beta versions

The worst of 2023:

• The delay of the Fenix IAE (really leaves me frustrated)
  • The by now legendary story of PMDG's EFB
  • That bug that made the cockpit displays have a white frame around it
  • The announcement of MSFS 2024
  • Like 1

The best: ATC giving the next altitude clearance 2000 feet rather than just 200 feet before. That issue had bothered me since FS9 days 😀 

Edited by thepilot

2 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

That bug that made the cockpit displays have a white frame around it

I forgot about that stinker. That made me put the sim and all the gear away for a couple months.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

4 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

The by now legendary story of PMDG's EFB

The Ford Pinto of EFBs.

• Like 2

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

BEST

1. Working Title - for giving us a G1000NXi that far outshines anything we've had in previous sims, in appearance and functionality.  Same with the GNSs, and of course, the amazing high fidelity SR22T.
  2. All World updates in 2023.  There've been a couple of quality issues but overall they've added so much to the sim.
  3. A2A.  I hate the Comanche.   Because after flying it, nothing else measures up to it.  It is just divine and the closest I've felt to flying a living, breathing aircraft in a flight sim.

WORST

1. ATC is still a lesser experience (IMO) that what we had with FS2004.  That's an area of failure to me.
  2. Still no ability to change aircraft is a live flight/session. Again, something we had from FS2004.
  3. [Not related to MS/Asobo] Having to experience Aerosoft's utterly deplorable 'service'.
  4. [Not related to MS/Asobo] MSFS YouTube content creators.  Sorry but to me, the quality has shot down and has been railroaded by ego, narcissism, faux expertise, clickbait and other nasty YouTube shenanigans. The list of YouTube MSFS content creators I can tolerate has gone down from 10 to about 2.
Edited by JYW
  • Like 5

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

A bit off topic but we could theoretically go in to FS2024 with NO hi-fi payware widebody released during the FS2020 timeframe.  Even though the triple donkey (777) would be released for FS2020, FS2024 could already be out.

How's that for a possibility?  LOL

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Posted (edited)

For me best were A2A Comanche and FSR 500 sorry edit Working Title AA2 also.

Worst were anything CS, LVFR or FSS released airliner products to the public.

Disappointment were Fenix and TFDI.

Most surprised was MS2024 announcement.

Lost in space were FSL, QW and Majestic?

Trending are PMDG and Inibuilds.

Edited by JBDB-MD80
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 8:47 PM, scotchegg said:

Give us your top 3!

For me, best would be:

1) WU13 - although the micronesia parts aren't great, Hawaii and Indonesia really shine. I think East Java might be my new heaven.

2) SU14 - Atmosphere changes and a wicked SR22 update from WT, wow!

3) SWS putting their Vans on sale for a dollar each - I mean, obviously!

And worst:

1) Clouds - still really disappointing compared to what we originally had, and very little improvement this year (not to mention lack of turbulence)

2) SU13 - underwhelming content delivered with a map zoom bug that made every session a frustration (frustration compounded by the fact they clearly had a fix pretty early on but just left it until SU14)

3) Scenery Gateway postponement - they really should have had this out by now.

Downgrades are us, MSFS will never be as good as it was on release. 

Posted (edited)

Addition to WORST......

• ATC voices - these more than anything else tell me that I am playing a GAME rather than a simulator. Nowhere near as convincing or realistic as the voices in FSX/P3D
  • Terrain morphing - sections of some islands (Ailsa Craig and Sark are good examples) look flat until I am very close, and then the missing elevation data "kicks in".
Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The best for me this year is without doubt the Just Flight Vulcan.

Second best was the release of the PMDG EFB, which largely ended the interminable whingeing by the same people.

Best of the rest -

Duckworks DC-3 mod.

Denarq's Carenado Beech 18 mod.

Horizon Sim and Kuro's 787 mods.

Mountainair's freeware Oceania airfields.

FBW's A320 updates

Ant's Winjeel.

Worst of 2023

The interminable whingeing by the same people, prior to the release of the PMDG EFB.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Posted (edited)

Best: 

- A2A Comanche - Even though I still don't know how to properly manage the engine.

- The TBM850.  This is a great plane for those that typically fly jets and find the Comanche too slow.

- The sheer volume of stuff available.  So many nice freeware airport addons that I forget to check and install when on a new route.  The SR22 is WOW and yet I have never even loaded it.  Too much stuff, not enough time!

Worst:

- MSFS Sim Updates that don't remember some of my settings.  Live Weather always off and Data Limit Exceeded, always off.  I have to reset these on every flight.

Edited by MarkW

Mark   CYYZ      

On 12/31/2023 at 6:50 PM, Fiorentoni said:
  • The announcement of MSFS 2024

why?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Best A2A

Worst A2A because the rest of the addons are far behind and there is no motivation to fly with them.

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

why?

Let's not derail this topic please 😄