Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Anyone ever try the Just Flight MD-87 in P3D?

The reason I ask is the Just Flight version is for FSX but sometmes FSX versions of aircraft do work in P3D.  Granted, I know there could be limitations.  Just tried an FSX CLS MD-80 in P3D and it looked great but I need n MD-87.  Anybody?!??

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

If it works at all, it would likely only work in 32-bit P3D (V3), unless the panel only uses XML gauges.  Anything containing C gauges compiled for a 32-bit ESP sim like FSX is pretty much a non-starter (literally) in 64-bit P3D (v4 and later).

The Leonardo Maddog has an MD-88 extension and does work with 64-bit P3D.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Clutch, if you had success with the "standard length" MD-80, you should get the same results with the MD-87: I understand the -87 requires the CLS MD-81 installed.

If tthis fails, I guess you'll be facing the same work @MammyJammy did for the DC-10:

The advantage here is that, since both are CLS products, they will probably use the same Doug Dawson DLLs, and the work to be done would be very similar.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Ended up giving it a try. Missing landing gear and the cockpit. 

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

Now why anyone would want to fly the MD series when you can't deploy the thrust reversers all the way (actually you can but you lose all rudder control) is beyond me 🙂 ... if you're really into MD series, suggest the Leonardo variants and use of runway friction utility here: https://secure.simmarket.com/fsps-frictionality-p3d.phtml

It's makes landing on wet, ice/snow surface much more realistic.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Ended up giving it a try. Missing landing gear and the cockpit. 

Sounds like another Doug Dawson DLL needs to be updated. Do you know if the model is DX9 or DX10? I don't remember the MD-87 being marketed as HD or something like that, but I do remember it wasn't compatible with FS9.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

3 hours ago, CO2Neutral said:

Now why anyone would want to fly the MD series when you can't deploy the thrust reversers all the way (actually you can but you lose all rudder control) is beyond me 🙂 ... if you're really into MD series, suggest the Leonardo variants and use of runway friction utility here: https://secure.simmarket.com/fsps-frictionality-p3d.phtml

It's makes landing on wet, ice/snow surface much more realistic.

Frictionality ? never heard of it till now but it looks like a great utility for friction tuning.

Pity it doesn't support the 64 bit sims...

🙁

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Luis, are you suggesting a Doug Dawson DLL fix could resolve the issues?  It's not s much I am into the MD series (but I remember liking them), and we do have the MadDog.  This is a request from a client, so we are looking into the possibility of reviving the 87 to be used in P3D.  So if anyone knows how to do this... I would luv to hear how.

Edited by Clutch Cargo

On 1/30/2024 at 11:33 PM, Clutch Cargo said:

The reason I ask is the Just Flight version is for FSX but sometmes FSX versions of aircraft do work in P3D.  Granted, I know there could be limitations.  Just tried an FSX CLS MD-80 in P3D and it looked great but I need n MD-87.  Anybody?!??

The Coolsky MD-80s and DC-9 work fine for me in P3D. If you want to fly the MD this would be an option as they have the steam gauges and glass cockpit versions.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:41 AM, simfan1983 said:

The Coolsky MD-80s and DC-9 work fine for me in P3D. If you want to fly the MD this would be an option as they have the steam gauges and glass cockpit versions.

This is one of the things I like so much about P3D. There are so many resources at the internet where you can find nice scenery, aircraft or tools for the sim. But every now and then I am surprised with the name of a developer I never heard of. In this case Coolsky. I checked their website and their MD80 and DC9 look really nice. Don't know about the system depth in this AC, but it's worth checking that. I bookmarked their site. I think there are far more unknown jewels hidden somewhere in the internet for our beloved sim.

• Like 1

Just now, Rein2 said:

This is one of the things I like so much about P3D. There are so many resources at the internet where you can find nice scenery, aircraft or tools for the sim. But every now and then I am surprised with the name of a developer I never heard of. In this case Coolsky. I checked their website and their MD80 and DC9 look really nice. Don't know about the system depth in this AC, but it's worth checking that. I bookmarked their site. I think there are far more unknown jewels hidden somewhere in the internet for our beloved sim.

The system depth is great with the Coolsky aircraft, and they have tutorials and lots of liveries. There are a couple of patches you will need and the textures are not PBR, but on the whole it's a good product IMO.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:57 PM, Clutch Cargo said:

Luis, are you suggesting a Doug Dawson DLL fix could resolve the issues? 

I hope so. The only base I have for this is the work done on the DC-10. Despite all my comments in thet thread, I never installed it (I should give it a try).

Best regards,

Luis, do you know where one could find this DLL?  Is the DC-9 close to the MD-87?

AFAIK, the aforementioned Dawson DLLs are sound modules, and he published some 64-bit compatible replacements for them years ago.  I think they're still available on the FSDeveloper website.

That said, I really, really doubt that's going to fix issues like missing the landing gear and cockpit.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Rein2 said:

The system depth is definitely study level, one could even say training level. The graphics are FS9 vintage though. A great buy for the money.

Vic green