Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Dune II

I can't remember a film getting such rave (positive) reviews right from the start, except possibly Top Gun Maverick. So MSFS associated with two winners apparently. Opened today in UK. March 1st in USA.

I walked out on Dune 1. Only because the scenes were so dark I could not see what was happening for about 30 minutes at the end. I suspect that director's choice was to make the cgi and trick graphics easier to produce since most of the view was obscure.

But based on early reactions, Dune II is a real winner!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

0:11 "I'm here, I'm here! It's been awhile since you had one of those nightmares"...

Somebody was there. Too dark for me to see who.

Unfortunately, this is Dune II. So, same issue.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Yeah, I don't like the way they darken things!  Give me a movie shot in bright sunlight!  I'll watch it cuz Anya Taylor Joy is in it!

The movie "The Batman" with Robert Pattinson was also way too dark for my taste!

download.jpeg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

Opened today in UK. March 1st in USA.

The world premiere was in the UK on the 15th February.
It is released in the UK and everywhere else that has films
released, on the 1st March.

I don't like movies too dark either. I didn't have an issue with Dune 1, but then I watched it on video rather than the cinema. Probably better on video.

Denis Villeneuve‘s “Dune: Part Two” has finally been unveiled and film journalists are showering the highly-anticipated sequel with praise for its incredible ensemble cast, breathtaking visual effects and more. The film, which follow’s 2021’s “Dune,” is being called “masterful,” “word not allowed impressive” and full of battle scenes that rival Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.”

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune-2-first-reactions-masterpiece-chalamet-zendaya-1235908114/

--------

One thing I like about The Two Towers was where Saruman wants tree wood to fuel his iron armor forge, and he shouts "Rip them all down". Then, at the battle of Helms Deep, the orks try to fast march through Fangorn Forest and none of them come out alive.

Can't wait to see this. 

Dune part 1 was a real surprise for me.  I thought that it would be a movie infused with a bunch of social engineering word not allowed and other weird stuff like so much out of Hollywood these days, but instead it was a real gem.  I watched the entire movie in one sitting and was left wanting more.  Kudos to the writers, producers, and directors.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

36 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Can't wait to see this. 

Dune part 1 was a real surprise for me.  I thought that it would be a movie infused with a bunch of social engineering word not allowed and other weird stuff like so much out of Hollywood these days, but instead it was a real gem.  I watched the entire movie in one sitting and was left wanting more.  Kudos to the writers, producers, and directors.

Dave

I've seen it twice and may watch it a third time prior to the Dune 2 streaming. 

I turn these dark movies off quickly.  Some of these young directors who try to be overly "creative" really irk me!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, spilok said:

young directors

Evidently, age is relative.
The "young" man who directed this film is 56 years of age.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, spilok said:

I turn these dark movies off quickly.  Some of these young directors who try to be overly "creative" really irk me!

Dune 1 seems fine when streamed. Unless my Samsung TV compensates in some way. 

What drives me nuts is the "shaky cam" nonsense. Dammed irritating. Drives me bonkers when the camera is shaking around like crazy, and obviously deliberately. A bit shaky because its a hand camera is bad enough, but when they deliberately shake it even more its just ridiculous! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reader said:

That's my age, so yeah.....young :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

8 hours ago, Reader said:

You're right, of course.  I probably just seem to remember some of the old movies that not only had clarity of the image always, but didn't involve all the flashbacks, multiple plots that are hard to follow, multiple characters that are not only unnecessary, special effects that may have no relevance but just seem to interfere in the overall intention of the film as far as the average filmgoer is concerned.

It's just probably my "age" that causes me to feel this way. Opinions are like ice cream...everyone loves a different flavor!

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2024 at 5:40 AM, martin-w said:

A bit shaky because its a hand camera is bad enough, but when they deliberately shake it even more its just ridiculous!

Especially when most modern cameras have built in image stabilizers! One has to really strain hard to get shaky motion.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator