Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

How to wreck performance in MSFS with a decent rig

So which is better to go with to achieve decent airport AI coverage balanced with decent frame rates.  AIG and adjust the coverage down or just set up FSTL and forget about it ?

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I can feel the heat in my office just from reading this post

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Is it possible to learn this power?

You know the answer.

38 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

what's all this star trek references ??? lol

In some forums....mixing up the ST and SW franchises will invoke threats of physical harm from some who fanatically follow their "cult", even when in jest. 🙂

I keep my genre's neat and all in the same swim lanes when replying to them.  You noticed in another post here I quickly put a SpaceBalls (Mel Brooks) interloper quickly back in his place:

Speaking of the ST franchise....I regular converse with a Gorn here...who despite his evil ways, tries to integrate with us humans here.  I can't recall his name here at avsim at the moment...but I hope he sees this with his big, sparkly Styrofoam eyeballs and chimes in....I miss bantering with him, hehe.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Maxis said:

So which is better to go with to achieve decent airport AI coverage balanced with decent frame rates.  AIG and adjust the coverage down or just set up FSTL and forget about it ?

I usually go with FSLTL at “modest” settings. Only really brought AIGTC maxed out into the mix to show how hard mainthread can be hit at ridiculously high settings. Yes fps was not too bad, but what’s more important in my opinion is consistency in fps and frame times. FPS is a good measure of performance. Consistency is about how smooth we perceive motion. The latter is most important to me. YMMV I might add.

1 minute ago, RJC68 said:

That's a bold statement to make on a Friday 🤣

Actually, I can think of a few even bolderer statements here on Avsim. I don’t want to derail this thread though, very serious about frame time consistency, I am. Steve though, hrrrm cough cough. The Force is strong with this one! A powerful asset he might be.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

36 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

And remember, the human eye can only perceive around 30Hz

That's a bold statement to make on a Friday 🤣

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

giphy.gif

They've gone to Plaid!

One of the best scenes in the movie...worth the 4 minute re-visit

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

4 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Sacrilegious it might be, but my lord how much fun! Absolutely worth a rewatch (please don’t tell Vader).

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

4 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

They've gone to Plaid!

Brilliant LOL 

Ok we gotta stop this, I am being yelled at by ATC somewhere over the Pyrenees for not paying attention 🤣

• Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

8 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Brilliant LOL 

Ok we gotta stop this, I am being yelled at by ATC somewhere over the Pyrenees for not paying attention 🤣

It's a Rebel Scum's greatest mission to distract the evil forces of the Empire so Luke can and drop a photon torpedo down a shaft and win the day.  The classic art of deception is just not an Empire tactic. 😉

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I’m almost afraid to mention it, but I think I might have gotten close to 200 in the Vertigo flying upside down at 100ft AGL over New Zealand’s west coast. I think I made a video about that experience. Can’t remember the settings though. It’s probably the most fun I’ve had in a simulator - not solely due to the fps of course (my monitor is 120Hz, and I fail to see much difference over 60-80 Hz). And remember, the human eye can only perceive around 30Hz

My sincere apologies, it was around 130 max. I was sure I had 180-200 once, over Moloka‘i in the Bonanza. That demanding it was not. I could very well have dreamt it though (can’t find any evidence). Yes, hrrmmm.

Blasphemy! Heretic!

😉

I wonder if other people followed the settings of that video and if they have a powerful top of the line computer similar to the one in the video, if they can get 200 FPS too at 4K. The one thing I see in that video is that the user set NVidia DLSS Super Resolution to "Performance." For the rest of the settings, they look like they were set to Ultra. But I can't repeat the same test anyways, I have nowhere near the computer as that person that got 200 FPS at 4K in the video.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Posted (edited)

There, you did it Steve. The ambulance is on its way 🚑🏥💔

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

I wonder if other people followed the settings of that video, if they can get 200 FPS too at 4K. The one thing I see in that video is that the user set NVidia DLSS Super Resolution to "Performance." For the rest of the settings, they look like they were set to Ultra. But I can't repeat the same test anyways, I have nowhere near the computer as that person that got 200 FPS at 4K in the video.

I’m 90% certain I was close to 200 over one of the Hawaiian islands. Wish I could remember the settings. Pretty sure it was 4K, DX12 (FG) most likely DLSS, most settings ultra, TLOD at least 200, probably higher. Hawaii 10m mesh. 3rd party airport with AI traffic nearby on same island. It was autumn ‘22, not long after I got the 4090. Annoying that I can’t find a video though. I probably didn’t record one.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Sacrilegious it might be, but my lord how much fun! Absolutely worth a rewatch (please don’t tell Vader).

So many great lines in that movie...just a joy to watch.  You can always tell how funny a movie is when you're watching it with your wife for the 1st time (or 5th) and you count the eye rolls.

There is actually a  mathematical equation that defines this:

The Count of the total number of spousal eye-rolls in a corny movie is directly proportional to how funny it is to the fan of the genre or series.  The higher the Count, the Funnier the movie. 
This is math...and indisputable

Edited by Steve Dra
added more context
  • Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Just now, Cpt_Piett said:

I’m 90% certain I was close to 200 over one of the Hawaiian islands. Wish I could remember the settings. Pretty sure it was 4K, DX12 (FG) most likely DLSS, most settings ultra, TOOD at least 200, probably higher. Hawaii 10m mesh. 3rd party airport with AI traffic nearby on same island. It was autumn ‘22, not long after I got the 4090. 

Nice. So it is possible to get 200 FPS in MSFS. I thought that video was a one time example. But it's good to confirm other people are able to get over 200 FPS in MSFS, not just that video 👍.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

8 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

There, you did it Steve. The ambulance is on its way 🚑🏥💔

What?  Darth wouldn't give you a lift in his TIE fighter?  They're right...he IS mean.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg