Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

How to wreck performance in MSFS with a decent rig

13 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Scruffy-Looking

Who you calling Scruffy-Looking?  Musta hit a nerve.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

The 4090 basically meets it's greatest nemesis in this scenario: a wrecked mainthread which is completely overworked, overwhelmed (and probably underpaid!). Perhaps the much praised 7800X3D would have saved the day? I might be going out on a limb here, but I'd venture to guess it wouldn't have. I challenge 7800X3D + 4090 owners to prove me wrong. 

Your late great Admiral Ozzel would be proud.  But he choked on his breakfast I think.  Poor fellow.

I would say, not that I've tried the EXACT settings you have there, but I would say that you can still kill a 7800X3D+4090 if you really want to.  I know I've said this before but a few months back I did some testing at iniBuilds KJFK (+ DreamFlight KTEB, aftermarket LGA, and aftermarket EWR all loaded up) with the A310 along with FSLTL traffic at 100% and I could knock it down to where I wouldn't want to be, but it was flyable.   I saw no FG artifacting, so that's a plus.   Also at that time there were no AutoFPS or other TLOD mods.  I was running a straight up 200 TLOD.

That was also running more AI than I would normally run -- I was intentionally trying to kill the 7800X3D.   I think I had Glass Cockpit Refresh to LOW at that time too.  Now I'm running it on the highest setting I think.  I may re-visit that one too and run it on the middle setting.   I just updated my BIOS, chipset, and graphics drivers too...I'm due for another round of testing at the good ol inibuilds KJFK.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

35 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I was getting almost that high of fps. Until the latest beta update which reduced fps quite a lot. If everything stays about the same in the beta, then the next SU will be famous for retarding performance. (Just something for you who aren't in the beta to look forward to). The earlier versions of the beta did not cut fps, in fact it improved them. But then Asobo began to tinker around trying to cure CTD's.

cant wait 😏

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rjquick said:

Now...I can't say the same back in my younger years when I laughably thought I was an "audiophile" .

I've been a self-declared "audiophile" intermittently in my life. Deceived I was (I guess we all were), thinking a 2000$ audiocable would teleport me to audio-Nirvana. In fact, at 14 yrs old I used up all my confirmation money (it's a Protestant thing I think) to buy a NAD amplifier and CD player + Dali floor speakers. 

3 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

I distinctly remember paying an extra $100 for one CD player over another because it had a 5% better S/N ratio. 

3 hours ago, rjquick said:

Becoming obsessed with them while the game is otherwise running OK take all the joy out of it as you worry about why you are getting 50 fps when, just yesterday, you were getting 52. A very hard habit for people to break though. Many will get angered at the mere suggestion of not monitoring their frame rates constantly.

It is too late for me, son. I already took the red pill. You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I MUST obey my master. 

3 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Most comes from frustrated folks with little patience (I get that).  Some of it is justified "venting" and its good to let off a little steam every once in a while....but those who seem to have nothing positive to say about how incredibly good we have it in the flightsim community, would likely complain about getting a million dollars in their mailbox with a note "no strings, taxes already take care of...its yours to do with it what you want" because it was in $1,000 dollar bills and they'd have to go to the bank and get change for them. 

Well, said, my very young apprentice! I couldn't have phrased it better myself. 

1 hour ago, Sonosusto said:

Remember, the forum admins will delete you for star wars cross talk.

We don't have time for trekkies, either. 😀

Oh no, please, not you too helmet-boy! I nearly recovered from my Steve-induced myocardial infarction. In fact I'm trying to reply to as many comments (even if they were written after I'm writing this), in the futile hope of avoiding moderator action. 

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

then the next SU will be famous for retarding performance

Not as much as the infamous SU10 which ruined stellar, mouth-watering performance for a lucky minority 😉

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

But then Asobo began to tinker around trying to cure CTD's.

I was one of those unlucky souls - got a CTD in almost every flight on the build before the last one IIRC. Opted out of the beta and returned when the build before this one dropped. 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

Your late great Admiral Ozzel would be proud.  But he choked on his breakfast I think.  Poor fellow.

Yes, that was the official cause of death, IIRC. Well, someone did profit on his demise though, if my memory serves me correctly. Well, ahem, who am I kidding? It was a happy moment, the happiest moment of my life  😄 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

I'm due for another round of testing at the good ol inibuilds KJFK.

Better avoid those runway bumps if you plan to actually land there in anything heavier than a <insert a featherweight aircraft> or you'll land like Anakin did at Coruscant flying half a star cruiser. He was the best starfighter in the Galaxy though, much like his son.  

Y2mr7at.gif

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

How dare you introduce yet another movie genre into this thread!

2 cents for you my friend if you can find yet another movie reference in this post. Good luck! (do I get the Avsim of the year award for most replies in a single post or not?!)

Oops. I hope you get another notification to reply to this as well. Hopefully this is flagged as "hot" on the main forum page for this thread haha. I digress. Pannakin Crybaby is going nowhere.

Sigh, this is getting ridiculous! Can someone save me? How deep does the rabbit hole go? I guess we've reached a sort of meta-stage of regression by now in this thread. We're at the point of cross-reflecting over the phenomenon of cross-talking...

I wonder how disastrous the inibuilds KJFK would be to my sim?

You have no idea! No, IMO it's actually pretty well optimized, much like KLAX and EGLL. I think iniBuilds in general do a very decent job with their scenery. 

Though I try to cap at 30 in the NVCP for some reason...it keeps reverting to "OFF"

Cap using RTSS in front edge sync, you should. Just do a deep-dive in @Noel's profile, and find him it, you will!

38 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Speaking of performance:

How dare you derail my thread with your cross-talk!

38 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Is it possible the DX12 tile bug is caused by lower performance? Its terrible to look at sometimes. I know I know...."don't look at it" hahaha

Just saw a potential solution in another thread: 

DX12 ground textures fix: solved chaging the anistropic filtering  to "controlled by aplication" at nvidia panel

I've yet to try it though, as I'm too busy editing this post. But now that I think of it, I loaded up the sim 3 hours ago to test something. But alas, I've forgotten. EDIT: I just remember - I intended to test the AF tweak as I previously had it at 16x in NCP and off in the sim. 

52 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

It seems all us simmers may be living in the Matrix, and may not even be aware...but isn't that the point? (Hmmm....quite the metaphysical conundrum isn't it?).

52 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I'm still waiting for Trinity to come up to me in a nightclub and tell me life-changing secrets

I beg to differ and would like to humbly venture an opinion that I would much rather discuss such metaphysical phenomena with that lady from that world not allowed heinous sacrilegious helmet-boy flick. 

I have a proposition for you Steve: If you ever get tired of your main occupation (what term did you use the other day?), considering doing stand-up comedy, you should! Seinfeld would be ashamed if he read your posts. Btw thanks so much (to all in this thread) for bringing humour into the sometimes dark, sterile and techy place that this feeble community of Serious Simmers (TM) can be. May we remember this silly thread as a light for us in dark places, when all other lights go out. May we look back and laugh when we're encountered with the imminent PDS (something about word not allowed that Steve mentioned in the word not allowed virtual door thread (also featuring Fenix B2 release intermittently). 

You've all made my day, and I've already missed 20 episodes of my 5th The Office re-binge (which I was planning to watch on an A300 flight from Auckland to Honolulu via EGLC). Mae govannen, you are most welcome!

Btw if anyone dare to challenge my opinion that Hugo Weaving based his Agent Smith on Carl Sagan - obliterate you with the Executor's super-laserbeam, I shall. 

(i'm getting so behind on this thread. Much like when flying the A300. Never had as much fun on Avsim though, and I mean that sincerely. Great community - except for those rebel scum of course)

Edited by Cpt_Piett
I intend of editing this post to the point of it no longer being edible

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

4 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

I'm Rebel Scum...I'll NEVER join you!

And as to the small lettered caption at the bottom of your sig...I reply :TOO LATE!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

As for seeing the Gorn in the Star Wars Universe.....I think you over estimate their chances :biggrin:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You can see my hardware below and I keep loving the dynamic lod and FG on 2080ti. Cpt Piett helped with some gysnc issues I was having. You see, we were both in a hiatus at the same time. I was just waiting for you to come back haha. Kidding. We were moving, new job, etc

I have sam scene in new york and find that it doesn't wreck my performance. Its just the general photogammry around new york.

KBUR as well but it improved since the dev updated it to version 2 (lets face it, it needed to optimized). I have FeelThere KLAX and it looks decent with good performance.

However, AIG with ground services is a total FPS mooch. I only use it at low settings when out of my timezone otherwise FSLTL is superior to performance and realism.

• Upvote 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

As for seeing the Gorn in the Star Wars Universe.....I think you over estimate their chances :biggrin:

You noticed!   Now see if you can find the other 2 glaring cross-genre flubs in my other post. 🙂

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

12 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I already took the red pill.

How dare you introduce yet another movie genre into this thread!   I bet when Agent Smith notices...you'll be seeing a black cat walking by, then turn back to see the exact same cat again!  At that point its too late...they already cut the hard lines, so I suggest you get out...NOW!

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

8 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

How dare you introduce yet another movie genre into this thread!   I bet when Agent Smith notices...you'll be seeing a black cat walking by, then turn back to see the exact same cat again!  At that point its too late...they already cut the hard lines, so I suggest you get out...NOW!

Legend has it that there was once a flightsimmer that could do anything he wanted inside the sim. He was not bound by any of the rules set forth by the programmers or hardware.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

In fact I'm trying to reply to as many comments (even if they were written after I'm writing this), in the futile hope of avoiding moderator action. 

Oops. I hope you get another notification to reply to this as well. Hopefully this is flagged as "hot" on the main forum page for this thread haha. I digress. Pannakin Crybaby is going nowhere.

I wonder how disastrous the inibuilds KJFK would be to my sim?

I also have all the SeaVessels, enhanced vehicle traffic (different types), GSX, General Aviation traffic mod, AIFlow/AIGround (to help with clutter since MSFS doesnt do it), Pilot2ATC, Headtracking, almost 500gb of scenery, a dozen planes, accuseason and rex texures, fsrealistic, raas pro.....still get decent fps WHEN I dont change a bunch of settings.

I found that messing with the NVIDIA control panel just makes everything worse. I keep it on high performance and vsync on...low lateny to ultra since its recommended with gysnc and vsync. Though I try to cap at 30 in the NVCP for some reason...it keeps reverting to "OFF"

15 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Then all I can say is..."Smoke 'em if you got 'em"

As for trekkies, they too have an outstanding parody movie they can be proud of...and I'm at constant odds over which is funnier.  Almost like picking between the Dark side of the force and the Vulcan Mind Meld. 🙂  (how's that for cross-camp contamination?) 

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, rjquick said:

Legend has it that there was once a flightsimmer that could do anything he wanted inside the sim. He was not bound by any of the rules set forth by the programmers or hardware.

And as luck would have it...we have a NEO in that movie AND and NEO in flightsim.  Coincidence?   I think not!

Similarly, if you crash in that Matrix thingy, your body doesn't die, only your mind (or memory)...just as in flightsim, if you crash, no physical harm comes to you (unless you throw your joystick at the monitor in outrage and it ricochets back and hits you in the face!) 

It seems all us simmers may be living in the Matrix, and may not even be aware...but isn't that the point? (Hmmm....quite the metaphysical conundrum isn't it?).  For me personally, I'm still waiting for Trinity to come up to me in a nightclub and tell me life-changing secrets...I'll let you guys know if that ever happens.  But of course by then, they would have already cut the hard line🙂

EDIT:

Now that I think about it...is it any coincidence that Duracell Batteries are the most popular?  I think they just let us believe Energizer is equal with their cute bunny...they carefully analyzed our brain patterns in the 1st Matrix and determined we just love us some cute bunnies...seems exactly how a computer would think!  Next we'll notice that Flightsim 2024 will reach 80% perfection with all simmers...because as anyone knows (that's chatted with the Architect Agent Smith), making it 100% perfect would be ...a disaster.

Edited by Steve Dra
Changed evil characters
  • Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

12 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

And as luck would have it...we have a NEO in that movie AND and NEO in flightsim.  Coincidence?   I think not!

Similarly, if you crash in that Matrix thingy, your body doesn't die, only your mind (or memory)...just as in flightsim, if you crash, no physical harm comes to you (unless you throw your joystick at the monitor in outrage and it ricochets back and hits you in the face!) 

It seems all us simmers may be living in the Matrix, and may not even be aware...but isn't that the point? (Hmmm....quite the metaphysical conundrum isn't it?).  For me personally, I'm still waiting for Trinity to come up to me in a nightclub and tell me life-changing secrets...I'll let you guys know if that ever happens.  But of course by then, they would have already cut the hard line🙂

EDIT:

Now that I think about it...is it any coincidence that Duracell Batteries are the most popular?  I think they just let us believe Energizer is equal with their cute bunny...they carefully analyzed our brain patterns in the 1st Matrix and determined we just love us some cute bunnies...seems exactly how a computer would think!  Next we'll notice that Flightsim 2024 will reach 80% perfection with all simmers...because as anyone knows (that's chatted with the Architect Agent Smith), making it 100% perfect would be ...a disaster.

All of this, yes. Potentially true.

SteveDra possibly either having too much coffee of just simply high on life: absolutely true.

Speaking of performance: Is it possible the DX12 tile bug is caused by lower performance? Its terrible to look at sometimes. I know I know...."don't look at it" hahaha