Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

How to wreck performance in MSFS with a decent rig

Posted (edited)

We are truly at a golden age in flight simming. Never before has so much performance been available to so many. As much as we like bashing Microsobo and various 3rd party aircraft for poor performance (and lack of virtual doors) - it’s a good time to be in this hobby. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

We are truly at a golden age in flight simming. Never before has so much performance been available to so many. As much as we like bashing Microsobo and various 3rd party aircraft for poor performance (and lack of virtual doors) - it’s a good time to be in this hobby. 

Well said !!! 👍😎

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

who needs 200 fps  anyway , this is not COD of war or whatever, i remember not too long back i was happy with 30fps , like someone said its never been so good 

• Like 2

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

As much as we like bashing Microsobo and various 3rd party aircraft for poor performance (and lack of virtual doors) - it’s a good time to be in this hobby. 

Don't let the 99% of bashing be confused with real issues to complaint about.  Most comes from frustrated folks with little patience (I get that).  Some of it is justified "venting" and its good to let off a little steam every once in a while....but those who seem to have nothing positive to say about how incredibly good we have it in the flightsim community, would likely complain about getting a million dollars in their mailbox with a note "no strings, taxes already take care of...its yours to do with it what you want" because it was in $1,000 dollar bills and they'd have to go to the bank and get change for them.  I try to ignore folks like that, and not get sucked into their drama.

One challenge I have is because I'm on a few beta teams...when I see some of the comical statements and speculations being made about how projects are going, I can't reply back to them as I'd like to due to NDAs, wishing I could tell them how off their speculation is vs what's really happening with the product while its in beta.  I have almost bitten clean thru my bottom lip several times.  It is fun (and frustrating) to watch though. 

I hope to be able to tell all I know about a certain project "Soon"®

For those on beta teams...I know you can relate. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

FS2020 runs nice and smooth for me and I have zero idea what frame rates I'm getting. I did myself a big favor and stopped looking at them years ago 'unless' I run into a problem and will use it for comparison troubleshooting. Becoming obsessed with them while the game is otherwise running OK take all the joy out of it as you worry about why you are getting 50 fps when, just yesterday, you were getting 52. A very hard habit for people to break though. Many will get angered at the mere suggestion of not monitoring their frame rates constantly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjquick said:

Many will get angered at the mere suggestion of not monitoring their frame rates constantly.

That is the main problem with our culture these days...I say "You do you and I'll do me"....I don't stress about frames, as long as it "looks" smooth to me, I'm good.

Now...I can't say the same back in my younger years when I laughably thought I was an "audiophile" .

I distinctly remember paying an extra $100 for one CD player over another because it had a 5% better S/N ratio.  Never mind the fact that the human ear (or even a dog's ear) could never detect that small difference, I was able to boast that my CD player had a S/N of XXX vs XXX. 

How proud I was of that fact...LOL.  I was a silly mid-twenty year old back then.

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

In some forums....mixing up the ST and SW franchises will invoke threats of physical harm from some who fanatically follow their "cult", even when in jest. 🙂

I don't think we're at the edge yet Steve. We should still be mindful of Godwin's law however.

Godwin's law (or rule) of word not allowed analogies, is an Internet adage asserting: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving word not allowed or word not allowed approaches 1."

EDIT: Just saw that there were a few words not allowed in those sentences. I'll blame Wikipedia. Nevertheless, I'll probably be banished to the outer rim for this transgression. 

Just went out for a while. Came back to see that this thread is burning hot! 🔥 I hope we won't bring down the Avsim servers 😱

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

I hope we won't bring down the Avsim servers

You know as a Rebel Scum....We subscribe to every level of chaos imaginable.  If I brought the Wookies, Ewoks, and Gorns into this...we could shut down Avsim in a minute! 🙂

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Before I got my Spectrum my Dad brought me a Texas Instruments TI99/4A, it didn't come with any games but he was kind enough to get me a weekly subscription to a magazine that had games where you had to manually enter 100's of lines of code LOL He was a hard man back then 🤣

My first game was SimCIty 2000 I think (EDIT: what was I thinking, I graduated from uni in 2004...). I was around 13 IIRC, using my dad's first PC. I could have been even younger. He got it from work in order to educate himself in the revolutionary new applications Excel and Powerpoint LOL. At the timeI he was using AutoCAD to design advanced subsea installations. He soon gave up on the Office "apps" though.

It didn't take very long until I realized that the GPU was too weak (like Palpatine I guess; although he was feigning it). The GPU (or lack of thereof) was straight out weak though (well, I coudn't run SimCity at max settings).

So I took a job as a newspaper delivery boy (had to get up at 3:30AM in order to finish before school started - in order to save up some cash for a brand new GPU (come to think of it I don't think dad's PC had a GPU). 

I used the rest of the cash to buy Silent Hunter, which was delivered in the mail. I was so excited! Ah, the summer of '69!

2 hours ago, sonny147 said:

who needs 200 fps  anyway , this is not COD of war or whatever, i remember not too long back i was happy with 30fps , like someone said its never been so good

My sentiment as well! Back in the good 'ol XP11 days, I was elated to get 30 fps. So it's kinda fascinating how far tech has come since then. What I've done recently is to lock fps to 80 - I then have just enough headrooom to squeeze every bit of visual goodness out of the 4090's Tensor cores. 

2 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

What?  Darth wouldn't give you a lift in his TIE fighter?  They're right...he IS mean.

It's a miracle I've survived this long without being Force-choked 😉

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

You know as a Rebel Scum....We subscribe to every level of chaos imaginable.  If I brought the Wookies, Ewoks, and Gorns into this...we could shut down Avsim in a minute! 🙂

You rebel scum have Admiral Ackbar though, who could probably bring down the Empire singlehandedly. I've been scared of that fishy creature since I first saw SW 😅

Edited by Cpt_Piett

6 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

You rebel scum have Admiral Ackbar though, who could probably bring down the Empire singlehandedly. I've been scared of that fishy creature since I first saw SW 😅

Don't listen to Cpt_Piett, it's a trap! 😲

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

My first game was SimCIty 2000 I think. I was around 13 IIRC, using my dad's first PC. I could have been even younger. He got it from work in order to educate himself in the revolutionary new applications Excel and Powerpoint LOL. It didn't take very long until I realized that the GPU was too weak (like Palpatine I guess; although he was feigning it). So I took a job as a newspaper delivery boy (had to get up at 3:30AM in order to finish before school started - in order to save up some cash for a brand new GPU (come to think of it I don't think dad's PC had a GPU). 

I used the rest of the cash to buy Silent Hunter, which was delivered in the mail. I was so excited! Ah, the summer of '69!

Ahh yeah Accky (that's what his friends called him).  I remember playing 3D chess with him one day and he just about had me checkmated, so being the Rebel Scum I am, I resorted to "influencing" him to forfeit.

You just have to know what triggers him.  From that day forward, I always kept these 2 things in my Y-wing...named the "Galileo" whenever I needed to get him back in line.

McCormick Old Bay Seasoning - 6oz, 1 of 11

Cast Iron Skillet, 10 ¼ Inches – Field Company, 44% OFF

Who can spot the 2 glaring errors in my story?

Edited by Steve Dra
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

I know I should't do this, I already feel as guilty as a boy in primary school when the head teacher berated me in front of my whole class for kicking a soccer ball in the PT wardrobe (sorry if it's not legible, not my native language). 

14 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Who can spot the 2 glaring errors in my story?

I'm almost afraid to ask: you wanted to eat that no-good stuck-Up, Half-Witted, Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder?? 😱🤮

Anyway, for the sake of some (more) guilty pleasure, with the imminent risk of summoning some authority from the superintendency of Avsim: 

waAeBFP.gif

Edited by Cpt_Piett

58 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

That is the main problem with our culture these days...I say "You do you and I'll do me"....I don't stress about frames, as long as it "looks" smooth to me, I'm good.

Now...I can't say the same back in my younger years when I laughably thought I was an "audiophile" .

I distinctly remember paying an extra $100 for one CD player over another because it had a 5% better S/N ratio.  Never mind the fact that the human ear (or even a dog's ear) could never detect that small difference, I was able to boast that my CD player had a S/N of XXX vs XXX. 

How proud I was of that fact...LOL.  I was a silly mid-twenty year old back then.

Same here with the audio. I read every Stereo Review magazine issue front to back. Pondering every fractional percentage of 'total harmonic distortion'.

3 hours ago, sonny147 said:

my 4k tv is only 60hz ( a 120hz LGC2 OLED ) is on the list . So the max FPS i have seen is 64 FG off and 122 with FG on, thats with vsync off in sim and Fast set in the NV app.  right now sat at EGLL (payware) in the fenix B2 with FSTL traffic at 50% FSRealistic REX seasons and i am at 90FPS with FG on with TAA most settings Ultra/High and a few turned off ,  CPU slightly undervolted and GPU at stock

pretty happy , a few stutters there but you know what i gave up on perfection sometime ago

I was getting almost that high of fps. Until the latest beta update which reduced fps quite a lot. If everything stays about the same in the beta, then the next SU will be famous for retarding performance. (Just something for you who aren't in the beta to look forward to). The earlier versions of the beta did not cut fps, in fact it improved them. But then Asobo began to tinker around trying to cure CTD's.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.