Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Graphics Mode choices Poll...

What Graphic Mode are you using with MSFS 2020?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. DX11 or DX12 in it's different flavours?

• DX11
    • DX12 without Frame Generation
    • DX12 with Frame Generation ( RTX 4k+ series only... )
    • DX12 with Frame Generation on FSR3

I began on DX11 with a 3080ti. DX12 did not work well for me as 12GB of VRAM just isn’t enough at 4K resolution. Then I tried the FG mod. My mind was blown. I was so impressed with the gain in performance I purchased a 4090 and now use the native FG option. With 24GB of VRAM everything runs so much better. There is no going back.  

• Like 1

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

Posted (edited)

I have a 4090 and use DX12, but after a few weeks of trying to adjust to artifacts associated w/ FG, I turned it off and it's been golden ever since.  Far rather have 35FPS with absolute image stability, freedom from any artifacts including when one has to move between multiple screen only to get the judder when landing back on the MSFS display, than to run at 60, 70 or 80FPS.  I get variable reports when I ask others using NV FG regarding these artifacts all the way from it's built in but doesn't bother me enough to disable it, to those who claim there is no difference w/ regard to FG on or off.  I have ultra smooth animation w/ sterling FTV, and panning is fabulous at 35FPS as I'm setup.  I appreciate what doubling that to 70 brings in terms of a certain fluidity at the end of a panning event, and the fact that the cockpit window frames in a fast pan which are at point-blank range look narrower/sharper because of the higher frame rate.   But..compared to the artifacts?  Not even close!  

I'm hoping a new CPU somehow changes this, and it may well explain why some claim zero artifacts.  We'll see when we go there...  So I chose DX12 w/o FG as there wasn't a separate choice for those w/ RTX 40xx who don't use FG.  HAGS left on seems to work well even w/o FG enabled.

I must add 4090 has definitely improved what comes out of my 9900K which I did not expect.  I've notice I can sustain higher frame rates than w/ the 3080Ti, which means instead of my old base rate lock of 33 or so it's now at 37-38, and I do appreciate the effects of that.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

DX11 with TAA mode in VR. Performance with DX12 is similar but the latter still has ground texture issues and you can't benefit from the likes of FG in VR.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Posted (edited)

I like DX12 on my 3060Ti with DLSS no FG.  I zoom into gauges anyway.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 1

Before the FG mod, I used to keep 34 FPS in DX11; where I got the best stability. However, the transition between custom cameras makes me sick and I ended up running back to P3D and FSX (where I could simply snap into new cameras).

Now, after the FG mod, I tried going back to DX11, but it's impossible for me: I prefer keeping stable 60 FPS with the FG mod, and having smoother camera transitions. So, for me, it's DX12+FG mod.

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

AMD 6700 XT 12GB I've found using vanilla DX11 seems to work best. AMD users do have the choice of using FSR3 on DX11.

• DX12 bombs the VRAM
  • When I enable AMD Smooth Frames, I think the VRAM doesn't seem able to cope and the frames tank.
  • Like 1

DX11 with TAA in VR.

DX11 because I use old hardware: i7 8700k and GTX1070ti, and DX12 don't bring anything good to me.

TAA because any other AA brings critical shimmering, especially in VR where my resolution is actually downscaled compared to 2D (because old hardware, again). And my old video card can't do DLSS anyways 😄

• Like 1

16 hours ago, David Mills said:

Before I vote, I'm a little confused. I use DX12 with TAA and Frame Generation on a 4000 series card. Which option in the poll should I select? Or perhaps that needs to be added to the options.

option 2

• Like 1

With my RTX3070 its DX11 for me.

• Like 1

Chris Howard

Posted (edited)

Duplicate post

Edited by 738
Duplicate post

Chris Howard

Posted (edited)

I have a 4070 'super' graphics card with a I9 cpu. I have not tried DX12 as I only fly the FBW 320, Unless things have changed the FBW team advice DX11 (TAA). Except for flying into Iniscene's Heathrow all my flights are smooth. I do not use FG or any other add-on for graphics. If I am wrong please let me know.

PS: All my settings are at 'Ultra' where the option is available.

Edited by Andy675
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy675 said:

I have a 4070 'super' graphics card with a I9 cpu. I have not tried DX12 as I only fly the FBW 320, Unless things have changed the FBW team advice DX11 (TAA). Except for flying into Iniscene's Heathrow all my flights are smooth. I do not use FG or any other add-on for graphics. If I am wrong please let me know.

I don't think there's any "wrong".  There are just different ways to run it.  Options are good.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Posted (edited)

I use DX12, TAA and FG with a 4000 series card mainly for better performance, but I think DX11 TAA looks better.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

DX12 without FG: running an rtx 3080ti driving an HP Reverb G2 revised using DLSS Balanced.

The dev who wrote the OpenXR toolkit attempted to get FG working in VR and discovered an insurmountable performance barrier when dealing resolutions greater than 4K.  He reached out to nvidia about this and was essentially ignored.  On the flip side of this, VR uses reprojection, of one sort or another, to create the frames it's missing from the gcard so the HMD can maintain its refresh rate using 'fresh' images.

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

DirectX 12 with FG and DLAA. Amazing performance and crisp image quality.

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB