Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

Savage FSX reviews

I thought these quotes were pretty severe:"Microsoft, Flight Simulator developers use images to paint misleading picture"and"...Yougamers discovered that all the marketing materials and carefully distributed shots were nothing but a fantasist's smoke'n'mirrors. The game does not look radically or even satisfactory better than the original Flight Simulator X, released around a year ago".Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

..and the conclusion states:Graphics 89 Visually- the simulation has a split personality: aircraft are superb and have no equal, but scenery is hit or miss (don't uninstall your third-party scenery packs). DirectX 10 support is nice, but the graphics are far from the photorealistic DX 10 preview shots seen earlier this year. I don't think anyone would disagree with this conclusion....seems pretty fair to me-as does the end conclusion of...89/100 graphically: -not too "severe" from what I can see-but that is the nice thing about a good review -one can usually quote a few statements to justify one's view-in either direction. In my profession it is done on a weekly basis.Do we quote "the aircraft are superb and have no equal" or "the graphics are far from the photorealistic DX 10 preview shots seen earlier this year" or the "Graphics are 89/100 visually"?I think I'd go with the 85 overall which the reviewer gave it.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest DreamFleet

I just Googled "Flight Simulator X", and found that I can buy the Deluxe Edition for $44.99 at Amazon.Last Saturday I flew my friend's Cessna turbo 210, which has an average hourly operating cost of about $200, or more than 4 times the price of FSX.So, what is the point of these "savage reviews"? I would not call them savage either. Was someone expecting to see 100%, the same as the real thing?We all know that one should not expect the "real thing" with FSX, that will never happen, but I think the team at Aces have certainly tried to advance the state of FS while providing for backward compatibility; no easy feat.As I always say: It could be worse, you could be dealing with the real thing.As to an "85" grade, it sounds good to me considering what FS attempts to do. I don't know about you, Geof, but some issues aside, FSX is still often a "day at the beach" when compared to what we deal with flying for real. Especially when one takes the price into consideration. ;)Sorry to not have seen you in Seattle, Geof. Maybe next time!Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Hi Lou!Always nice reading you.How are you my friend? :--)In the US it's quite easy to fly for real.Laws are opened and supple, prices are rather affordable, there is a lot of choice, of places and opportunities to learn and fly.In Israel where I live or in Europe it's limited to a very few fortunate and privileged people.FS is for a lot of people around the world the only way to fulfill their dream of "flying" an aircraft.And they can do that for less than 50$ and have their own "day at the beach" everyday ;)Of course it's not the real thing but thanks to FS, they are getting closer and closer to it and most of all they enjoy flying.I am a real pilot and I still have fun and pleasure flying my old Goose with FSX when coming back home (ok, my wife has gone with another guy but who cares, huh??).So, this kind of "review" (?) that keeps up the idea of an endless "Microsoft conspiracy" is nothing but boring and sterile.FSX is not perfect for sure, it could have been better, but it's already a wonderful way of dreaming and leaving the ground for a bunch of guys and for that, deserves its "85" grade :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Lith1um

It takes someone from inside the sim community to understand sims.For that matter, even a fair number of "simmers" don't seem to have a full perspective.

Yep-real flying always puts it in perspective.Just got my engine back after a two month downtime-expect to be back in the air soon. However, they found a small crack in the passenger step-something pretty inconsequential-except it is on an airplane.. Whole interior has to be pulled out to get to the bolts to take it off-it can be welded but probably will be at least a $500 repair-a "small repair" of removal and welding. We could get whole new step-for $1000 not including removal/install costs.I'll take a $50 program with its bugs any day over the real thing!Yep-hope to sip a few vodkas one of these days with you Lou! :-) http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>Yep-real flying always puts it in perspective.>>Just got my engine back after a two month downtime-expect to>be back in the air soon. However, they found a small crack in>the passenger step-something pretty inconsequential-except it>is on an airplane..>> Whole interior has to be pulled out to get to the bolts to>take it off-it can be welded but probably will be at least a>$500 repair-a "small repair" of removal and welding. We could>get whole new step-for $1000 not including removal/install>costs.>>I'll take a $50 program with its bugs any day over the real>thing!>>Yep-hope to sip a few vodkas one of these days with you Lou!>:-)> >http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/What? Only $500.You got away lucky this time. Nothing like your average $1000 minor item.LOL

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

>Just got my engine back after a two month downtime-expect to>be back in the air soon. However, they found a small crack in>the passenger step-something pretty inconsequential-except it>is on an airplane.."...on an airplane.." :)Somewhere on my harddrive I've stashed a photo of an electric fuel pump someone had to replace with an "aircraft certified replacement" purchased at an exhorbitant markup. When received, this person noticed that the label was "loose" at one corner. During the course of peeling back the label, he discovered to his astonishment that the "aircraft certified replacement" was the stock automotive part with a new label slapped on.After some further investigation, this throughly annoyed pilot learned that yes, this is fairly standard practice in the replacement parts industry, and that yes, this was a factory certified OEM TSO'd replacement part. The only difference was the addition of a twenty-five cent label...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've built owned and flown my own aircraft. However, I had the choice of one aircraft to fly. Another postive aspect of Flightsim is that we have a choice of a variety of aircraft and types to fly, when to fly them and to ignore the rules if we wish.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest DreamFleet

>>Just got my engine back after a two month downtime-expect>to>>be back in the air soon. However, they found a small crack>in>>the passenger step-something pretty inconsequential-except>it>>is on an airplane..>>"...on an airplane.." :)>>Somewhere on my harddrive I've stashed a photo of an electric>fuel pump someone had to replace with an "aircraft certified>replacement" purchased at an exhorbitant markup. When>received, this person noticed that the label was "loose" at>one corner. During the course of peeling back the label, he>discovered to his astonishment that the "aircraft certified>replacement" was the stock automotive part with a new label>slapped on.>>After some further investigation, this throughly annoyed pilot>learned that yes, this is fairly standard practice in the>replacement parts industry, and that yes, this was a factory>certified OEM TSO'd replacement part. The only difference was>the addition of a twenty-five cent label...Sounds like the 4 starters we replaced on the Dakota over the last two years, Bill. That was until I took matters into my hands and took the decision away from the shop, and purchased the latest starter (a Sky-Tec high torque model) myself.Then again, you have my 7000 hour ATP friend, Andy, who always manages to get to TBO on the temperamental engines (and that's being kind) on his Cessna 421B. He recently lost one on takeoff with only 500 hours since overhaul.He lucked out, as having previously owned many other planes, along with a large part 135 operation, the shop who did the overhaul, Mattituck, with whom he gave much business over the years, decided to treat the overhaul only as a "repair" and just charge him $30,000 for it, as opposed to $50,000++. Of course, that does not include all the labor, at $65/hour, to remove the old engine and install the new one.Of course, I also told Andy: "Stop using Mattituck for overhauls. Their days as a top-notch shop are over". I think he realizes that now. ;)The only thing we have in real aviation that FS does not have is unlimited frame rates, having our lives on the line when we fly, and a veritable "fire hose" attached to our wallets. It can be breathtakingly costly."Savage"? That only applies to the real thing.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg