Sign in to follow this  
carlanthony24

Active Sky coming to MSFS

8 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

That has always been just an illusion made up by some who wanted to believe. I have to admit that I had hoped for this as well - but it has never been true.

On the contrary there has never been a sim that was so predisposed for addons to be further improved by. In previous sims I've spent most of my time trying to keep all the addons compatible with the sim and foremost with each other. They kept breaking each other and fiddling around with settings and files was my daily fare.

None of that has ever been necessary with MSFS and all its addons. I run dozens of addons that make MSFS so much better and never had any major issues with them.

I'm glad that soon Active Sky will be one of them.

I just don't care for the overhead required for so many add-ons. The upside just isn't there for me. The default airports are fine. Default weather is fine. The only thing I really needed was AI traffic and ATC. And with those two what I want probably goes beyond what can be expected from any flight sim out of the box. It really just depends on what you want. Glad there are choices for people who want more, but I am resisting add-ons as much as possible. But to each their own. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I just did another flight last night in the A300F at dusk from Oslo to Tailinn.. moving from one weather front to another is something i cannot unsee and give up. So i think the secondary enhancement features of passive mode and if the potential weather radar api's will work in passive mode is ultimately what i am interested in.

From Active Sky's webpage..

Passive Depiction Mode

Passive mode is used with live weather and allows MSFS’s internal live weather depiction to take full control of weather depiction in the simulator, while Active Sky FS provides Active Air Effects and all other non-depiction features (mapping, planning, voice features, conditions report, web companion app, etc.) This can provide better regional variation and cloud variations outside of Preset control, recommended for LIVE WEATHER VFR and casual flights where visuals and effects are more important than weather conditions accuracy.

Active Air Effects

Provided in either depiction mode, Active Air Effects enhance your flight with turbulence, drafts and more:

• Clear air turbulence
  • Internal MSFS turbulence compatibility (for combined ASFS-applied and internal MSFS-applied turbulence effects)
  • Updrafts
  • Downdrafts
  • Microbursts
  • Thunderstorm vicinity turbulence and draft effects
  • Gusts, wind variation and gust-related turbulence
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Posted (edited)

Edited by Fiorentoni

The older FSX/P3D platforms were my final bout with weather/sky/texture injector apps.

Pretty satisfied with default sky/environment features I don't feel a need to get back into those injector apps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Posted (edited)

@Maxis,

Thanks for posting this 

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Long quoted post removed
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I will defo wait for the YouTube reviews before parting cash.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

Since the NDA has been lifted, I can happily say that I have been running ASFS for a while now. Is it perfect? Nope but IMHO, it is better than anything else out there and definitely better than default.

I have an old system, 7700K @5ghz with a 3090GPU and I saw no performance hit at all with ASFS - I usually run ASFS, Navigraph charts, LittleNavMap and the AutoFPS app. Sliders maxed in sim and I get about 60fps with FG on - doesn't change with ASFS running.

My favorite way of using ASFS is to use historical weather and pick a date, then use the search function to find an airport with low vis and ceiling. Then plan about an hour long flight into that destination.

Couldn't do anything like that with default - also what I like most is the changing weather along the route getting to final approach in IMC. My biggest complaint with default weather - if I set a preset to get IMC at destination, I get the same weather on departure - with ASFS I can takeoff in the nclear and fly into the bad stuff.

The TStorms, winds and turbulence are very well modelled.

If you just like to fly around with pretty clouds and not care much about them other than they look pretty - maybe the default weather will do for you.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

If you just like to fly around with pretty clouds and not care much about them other than they look pretty - maybe the default weather will do for you.

I mean, it's fine to give your opinion, but this statement (and the rest of the post) ignores the concerns that people have in this thread and concludes "ASFS gud because it does a thing". 

Edited by jstnj
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jstnj said:

I mean, it's fine to give your opinion, but this statement (and the rest of the post) ignores the concerns that people have in this thread and concludes "ASFS gud because it does a thing". 

I remember using    Active Sky for a long time in P3D, and if you set anymore than three cloud layers, you got to fly in a slide show. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

13 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Since the NDA has been lifted, I can happily say that I have been running ASFS for a while now. Is it perfect? Nope but IMHO, it is better than anything else out there and definitely better than default.

I have an old system, 7700K @5ghz with a 3090GPU and I saw no performance hit at all with ASFS - I usually run ASFS, Navigraph charts, LittleNavMap and the AutoFPS app. Sliders maxed in sim and I get about 60fps with FG on - doesn't change with ASFS running.

My favorite way of using ASFS is to use historical weather and pick a date, then use the search function to find an airport with low vis and ceiling. Then plan about an hour long flight into that destination.

Couldn't do anything like that with default - also what I like most is the changing weather along the route getting to final approach in IMC. My biggest complaint with default weather - if I set a preset to get IMC at destination, I get the same weather on departure - with ASFS I can takeoff in the nclear and fly into the bad stuff.

The TStorms, winds and turbulence are very well modelled.

1) How are transitions? Do you "see" them?

2) Are there more cloud types / variations than with default live weather?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Yea, this is pretty much me... but I really hope this gives those who have been demanding more varied and better weather what they are looking for and maybe the complaints will die down on the forums.

I can't see Damian releasing something that is not better than what is there which is likely part of the reason why it has taken Active Sky this long to release a product. There may be some trade-offs but it will be a sound product that will provide certain advantages. I am looking forward to seeing it in action and hearing what the weather aficionados say about it. Regardless, I will very likely pick it up soon after release, if for no other reason than to support Active Sky, a dedicated company that has supported the hobby for many years and that support needs to go both ways.

Edited by Cognita
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dan Scott

18 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I remember using    Active Sky for a long time in P3D, and if you set anymore than three cloud layers, you got to fly in a slide show. 

Think that's more to do with P3D's inability to render complex imagery without a large impact on any given PC.

Re-ran P3D v5 on my current PC and it wasn't nearly as happy as it is running MSFS with more detail and higher graphics settings.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

That does a disservice to the default weather capability. While it's nowhere near perfect, it does (usually) reproduce similar weather to that currently in the real world. It can also display different weather fronts in the same view—something we haven't previously had in flight simming.

Nonetheless, the historical weather feature, 'Active Air Effects' while using MSFS' Live Weather, and (by the sounds of things) more emphatic Thunderstorms, has all piqued my interest.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

There is a customizable setting for the transition rate. You can set it to instant transition (very noticable but instantly accurate according to METARs) or very slow transition where clouds are fading in and out just like they were naturally building up resp. dissipating. Barely noticable as transitions. Or anything in between to your liking.

(I've been using it for a while too.)

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Depends on how smooth you need the transitions to be.  Live weather itself often 'jumps' when something changes.  The two current options, Rex and xEnviro do the transitions slightly different.  Rex very slowly changes the weather so you hardly notice it - if you stare at the clouds you will notice new clouds form / dissipate slowly.   xEnviro makes many small transitions almost constantly, so you can see them, but the effect is not off putting to me.  Neither transitions like the old programs, with really off putting big sudden changes

I am very interested to see how ActiveSky handles the transitions.  I guess all of us like the MSFS local weather model, but I prefer the addon weather engines for the much better cloud / layer depiction.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home