Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

ActiveSky FS Released

Posted (edited)

Piett, my opinion is that the AS clouds look pretty cool, and appropriately menacing.

My other opinion is that the scenery artist (human or AI?) was pretty foolish to put a windsock in a forest.

Edited by prolixindec
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Those clouds look terrible....

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I made a video from my first flight with ASFS. I didn't draw any conclusions, as this was the first time I'd tried ASFS, and it was a short flight. I did read the whole manual before the flight, so I had an idea of ASFS features and settings. 

ASFS settings: Realism mode with download interval 15min and smoothing rate 5. 

I chose the location based on a search at https://www.badbadweather.com/thunderstorm

I'd love to hear people's opinions based on the video. It's only 3 minutes long. 

EDIT: Just remembered, I had turbulence setting in MSFS to low (Fenix suggestion). 

First, your sim looks great. About windsock presenting almost any wind effect, yesterday i had to edit a scenery (stock) windsock for this reason and replaced it with a custom simobject one (ASFS ON and also only using asobo's live weather wit ASFS closed), it worked as expected after this. My turb msfs settings are set to realistic and ASFS are deafult at 50, i don't fly GA but on the 737 works very good. I love how ASFS sets those presets, when I first tried ASFS, after using asobo's live weather for so long, I was shocked and very pleased to see different type of clouds that brought IMHO a much more real representation of a METAR. As I used historical weather a lot, if not, everytime in the past with p3d, ASFS brings so many more pluses than negatives. Thanks for the video.

Edited by SN737
  • Like 1

Sergio Naiberg

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'd love to hear people's opinions based on the video. It's only 3 minutes long. 

It's a fairer example than some of the streamers. Tclouds look quite good. Too bad you had the turb turned down, it might have been a fun ride. 🙂 

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

6 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

It's a fairer example than some of the streamers. Tclouds look quite good. Too bad you had the turb turned down, it might have been a fun ride. 🙂 

I’ll probably make an in-depth video with different weather types and aircraft when I have the time. Is realistic turb the recommended setting?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I’ll probably make an in-depth video with different weather types and aircraft when I have the time. Is realistic turb the recommended setting?

It's personal preference - I keep it on realistic, much more like my old flying days but many folks do not like turbulence so they turn it down. Initially it was recommended to turn it down for the Fenix because it affected the flight model but I believe that was corrected in the last update.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Is the toolbar problem fixed?

I'm going to buy it, but I'm not installing something that is fundamentally incompatible with the base simulator.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

It's personal preference - I keep it on realistic, much more like my old flying days but many folks do not like turbulence so they turn it down. Initially it was recommended to turn it down for the Fenix because it affected the flight model but I believe that was corrected in the last update.

I’ll try realistic, bring it on 😅 Also need a lighter aircraft to increase the challenge. Is the JF Tomahawk released yet? (that’s the one I flew the most during my PPL training). I vividly remember how turbulence, drafts and wind shear affected the aircraft (and myself), would be awesome to experience something similar in the sim. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

16 minutes ago, mspencer said:

Is the toolbar problem fixed?

I'm going to buy it, but I'm not installing something that is fundamentally incompatible with the base simulator.

It wasn't the base sim, it was a tool bar add-on that was problematic.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

s the JF Tomahawk released yet?

It has not been released yet, but I feel the release is imminent. I am interested to see how it does in your ASFS weather testing videos 😊

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

I disagree, I actually thought they looked good.

Goes to show there is very varying taste amongst simmers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I made a video from my first flight with ASFS. I didn't draw any conclusions, as this was the first time I'd tried ASFS, and it was a short flight. I did read the whole manual before the flight, so I had an idea of ASFS features and settings. 

ASFS settings: Realism mode with download interval 15min and smoothing rate 5. 

I chose the location based on a search at https://www.badbadweather.com/thunderstorm

EDIT: Just remembered, I had turbulence setting in MSFS to low (Fenix suggestion). 

Great video. Really showed the product off. Quick question though. Those thunderstorms in the distance at the end of the video, if you had taken off again would you have been able to fly into them, or are they just 'painted' in the distance. (Apologies if it's a dumb question!)

4 minutes ago, Room112 said:

Great video. Really showed the product off. Quick question though. Those thunderstorms in the distance at the end of the video, if you had taken off again would you have been able to fly into them, or are they just 'painted' in the distance. (Apologies if it's a dumb question!)

Not a dumb question at all and yes, if you keep flying you will get into the thunderstorm and probably some serious trouble.

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

Care to elaborate? What do you find terrible?

Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi  i9900K, 64gb memory, 3070ti

Building: X670 Aorus Elite AX, X9750x3d, GSkill DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 32gb, Gibabyte 3070ti, Noctua NH D15

51 minutes ago, VHOJT said:

It wasn't the base sim, it was a tool bar add-on that was problematic.

Ugh... yeah I'll concede that's different, but Toolbar Pushback is just about required even with GSX, for all of the times that GSX will refuse to work at certain airports.

Sigh. Not for me yet.