Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Historical weather planned for MSFS 2024

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I just hope that third party weather addons like ASFS will still be possible in MSFS2024, otherwise it would even be a step back in this regard, now that we have historical weather for several years in the past with ASFS in MSFS.

I don't see why add-ons like ASFS or Rex can't keep working like they do now with MSFS 2020 at the very least, for MSFS 2024. What they do ultimately is control MSFS's core weather engine manually (i.e. via presets) with weather data they source on their own, and blending of METAR and other data their own, etc (of course all the different cloud type renderings etc is ultimately done by and depends on the MSFS core weather engine).

So even if access to be able to *write* to live weather remains the status quo in MSFS 2024, add-ons like AS can still keep doing it the way they do now, and even take advantage of improvements in the core weather engine. Obviously would be even better if MS/Asobo open up full write access via the SDK, but that'll be up to them if technically feasible (given the cloud/server architecture of MSFS) and also legally/contractually feasible.

That said, some end users might see less need for weather add-ons like AS/Rex/etc depending on if the MSFS 2024 core weather engine provides all/most of what they need, and does live weather better than it does in v2020 (i.e. especially with blending of METAR and global weather data). New features like 24hr historic weather might lessen the need for those who only needed historic weather in order to be able to fly at a desired time of day anywhere in the globe regardless of when/where they are actually using the sim.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

if the MSFS 2024 core weather engine [...] does live weather better than it does in v2020

That's key.

If MS2024 Live Weather is still just a bunch of cumulus clouds everywhere, then ASFS, Weather Force, xEnviro, xMETAR et al. still have a future, as their raison d'être continues to exist.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Posted (edited)

The inability for 3rd party products to access MSFS weather data will be even more of a hindrance with 24 hr historical weather. Products like ATC add-ons and flight planners need access to the same weather that MSFS is depicting. At the moment it's not too bad because they access the current live weather from other sources, which are approximately the same as MSFS data. With MSFS 2024 I reckon that even if they can get hold of historical data from somewhere there will be more room for differences between their data and MSFS data.

I hope that 3rd party developers do not take view that the best way to match up the data is to only support ASFS for historical weather.

Edited by ConstVoid
Extra Info

Ian Box

maybe the historic "snapshots" will be more frequent than ASFS's hourly's  ..... so SPECI's & half hourly metars are seen where available to better match time & TAF's

for now, cheers

john martin

2 hours ago, F737MAX said:

That's key.

If MS2024 Live Weather is still just a bunch of cumulus clouds everywhere, then ASFS, Weather Force, xEnviro, xMETAR et al. still have a future, as their raison d'être continues to exist.

The new weather system can allegedly create tornadoes dynamically. So there’s something there 

Glad to hear this good news.  Looking forward to any and all improvements in weather capability.  Finally, historical weather!  I wonder what changed to make this a priority now after all this time being apparently ignored, and why it's mentioned now and not earlier, or maybe this was a last minute add?  Regardless, it's great news for all MSFS users.

Still hoping that they will consider allowing developers proper write access to weather, and continue allowing us and other developers of toolbar-based add-ons to use their UI SDK in the WX SDK's absence.  It would be great to expand on and create new features outside the scope of MSFS2024's intended ones.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 1

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

24 hours? 🤣

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

24 hours at least covers all of us who want to fly daytime with the correct weather when we sit at our computer in the evening after a hard day of work...thats fine, i think.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

I've never needed data older than 24 hours, but as always there are cases and cases... just these days, to test ASFS, someone wanted to test the Dubai storm...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Nice for daytime-flights-during-nighttime but personally I want historical weather for something like (for instance) summertime-flights-during-wintertime. So it's a start but not what I was hoping for and not something that gets me excited.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I would have liked at least a week - and for others' sake maybe 6 month by the look of it.

I like to save and resume flights when I'm ready for long-haul.  Real life does get in the way sometimes!

I'm happy to have ASFS instead now.  Back home 🙂  Although I still spend 95% of my time in P3D to be honest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orlaam said:

24 hours? 🤣

24 h is all that I need to fly everywhere in the world with the proper live weather at the time I fly.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

I thought this announcement deserves its own thread since historical weather has been talked about so much at Avsim. In the Twitch Q&A today, they said a 24 hour historical weather snapshot is planned for MSFS 2024. Just a 24 hour snapshot, better than nothing. But there you go, for all the people that want historical weafher in MSFS.

Lmao if that constitutes historical weather then we already had that in 2020 as Meteofail at times was about 24 hours behind!

what a joke. 

Edited by UAL4life

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

24 hours only? Well, but it is a start...

24 hours will be sufficient for most of us. Except for those wanting to fly in a particular season or recreate a real world situation of course.

Hopefully they will also add historical traffic to match.

Edited by orchestra_nl
grammar
  • Like 4

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Very good news for everyone who like to fly with historical weather 🥳

Myself, only fly with Live Weather…

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0