Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Goodbye Kansas City Intl (OSS closes)

I guess FSX has officially claimed it's first payware scenery developer victim (pure speculation I know). I was really looking forward to Kansas Intl and Oakland Intl airports for FS9 (Kansas was almost done). Ooh well, hopefully FlyTampa doesn't suffer the same fate. Hopefully Aces releases something that will help scenery developers around that ground scenery issue.It's sad some developers (Level-D) feel the only option is to move towards FSX or go out of business. There are too many people who'll still be using FS9 for another year and a half (yea the release date is a ways off for the 757 but unless that FSX patch does miracles, FS9 might be in the running until FS11). How loud do people have to scream, "THERE'S STILL A HUGE MARKET FOR FS9 PRODUCTS". There's no real hardware upgrade path for FSX, it won't work well on both today and future machines in it's current state. I don't see Aces totally fixing it. What's it going to take for developers like Level-D to understand it's not a good idea to divert a 757 to a rural airport with only 2500ft of runway because Seattle Intl is all but a slide show on approach. This is madness to say the least. How is logic like this possible in a community like this???Just like American car manufactures, instead of creating a fuel efficient vehicle (like they make for Brazilians) they'd rather dance on the verge of bankruptcy instead of giving up Big Oil... A new version of Flight Simulator needs to earn the communities support not the other way around. If a new version of FS is unreasonably lacking we as a community should stick with the old until the new version is either fixed or replaced. We shouldn't have developers closing up shop because Aces left out a major piece in the SDK (or whatever the case may be). Hearing what I've heard today about the LVD757 and now the closing of OSS is way too much bad news for one day. Hopefully some developer out there has the backbone to stick with FS9 until FSX get's fixed. Closing up shop or forcing a high level 757 to run at 3FPS on approach to airports like KLGA is unacceptable. No wonder Aces had the gaul to release FSX in the condition it's in. With little or no resistance to whatever you do, who wouldn't take liberties in the quality of a given product (even the most ethically grounded individuals would have trouble dismissing this kind of temptation).I can't wait for the patch to come out and little or nothing is done besides the sim running under Vista. Anyone ditching FS9 at that point deserves a wake up call in the sales department. Don't get me wrong I hope Aces totally fixes FSX but you won't catch me holding my breath (that's allot of fixing when it comes to Dual Core support). For the record I know OSS never stated FSX was the cause of their closing but Aces sure didn't help the situation (albeit inadvertently). Any developer already struggling has much more to deal with when Aces conveniently leaves out critical SDK information. A tell tell sign here is Aces still hasn't done anything about it. It's like they want to throw a monkey wrench in add-on scenery development. We've seen a patch released for photo scenery but nothing that would help out developers like OSS, FlyTampa, or Flight Zone. The timing of OSS is very coincidental, just the same I'm finding myself starting to really hate FSX (not the sim itself but the crap it's causing in this community on all fronts)... :-( Hopefully we'll see OSS return one day with Kansas Intl among other projects they were once working on...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Whatever the reason for them moving onto FSX is, I guess they have a plan of sorts im sure.I for one am not going to go to FSX. I am going to stay with FS9 for a very very very long time to come. Im so content with FS9 that it's beyond me to have to invest in a new machine etc. etc.( the topic has been battered to death so thats all on that)I really hope that Level D reconsideres there game plan as I would not hesitate to purchase other products they put out on the market, and quite honestly i am so happy with there 767 that it wouldnt really matter what tpe of aircraft they were to put out, I would jump at it (if it's for FS9 that is)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

IBTFSXA - In Before The FSX Apologists.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>just the same I'm finding>myself starting to really hate FSX (not the sim itself but the>crap it's causing in this community on all fronts)... :-( >I just have to "chuckle" at all this....L.Adamson ---- FSX apologist

I have a question regarding 3rd party aircraft addons. Even though FSX is not optimized for Dual Core, it is possible for the 3rd party addon (PMDG MD-11 or LDS 757) from using the 2nd core for all of its calculations. It is well documented that these high quality addons run completely separate programs for almost all systems. If this is possible then there may in fact be little or no hit due to the complexity of the addons.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest Blazer

HI Flyin..Sad to hear OSS is closing,enjoyed their Gatwick scenery plus would like to see another LEVEL D product for FS9.Iam sticking with FS9 also and am not considering buying FSX.This is a bit short sited on my part but with developers putting their FS9 products on sale because of FSX we are enjoying good reduced pricing. I purchased ClOUD 9..Phanton aircraft and PISA scenery at reduced pricing. Also purchased CS 707 for $ 9.99 on a 24hrs sale. From the different threads in forums it seems a lot of us are staying with FS9 but it is ineviatable that products for FS9 will be non existant.Until then I will appreciate the sale priced addons still available for FS9 and continue enjoy FS9..Regards..TH

I was saddened to read the press release too but there are probably many factors involved and wouldn't hang FSX out to dry as the major cause. I was personally looking very forward to their eventual release of Modesto KMOD. Hopefully someone else will be able to take over where they left off and continue all their hard work.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

For the record, we hate to see any developer hang up the tools and exit the development community.Again for the record, we decided over six months ago to continue to develop for FS9 for 18 to 24 months after FSX release and of course develop for FSX as well.This decision has the net effect of nearly doubling our team workload but does offer a reasonable approach to development for the future and for the the current situation.Let's hope that developers such as OSS can find ways to make a comeback:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

This is sad news. Some of the preview shots they had in their forums of the new scenery they were developing looked very good. And I was really looking foward to their Gatwick update for FS9.

Folks,We appreciate the support, but we need to also nip any rhumors in the bud right away.As I've said before in another thread it all boils down to the fact that 1 release per 1 1/2 years is not a good mathmatical formula for any business.It's pure math with us, guys.We are actually very excited for the new FSX believe it or not. We've never before seen such an insane work schedule from the folks at ACES. They are not waiting around to address issues. They are working on them AS THEY come up. The fact that the technology gap grew more then they anticipated with this release shouldn't be overlooked.You all know that they are working on 3 seperate issues at once, right? DX9/XP performance, DX10/Vista, and multi core support. that doesn't take into account the continual updating of the SDK's including simmconnect, the new site, and more which I can't disclose at this time.Let's keep it in perspective as we go forth, that's all I'm saying. We've held them accountable from both the customer/retail side as well as the beta team side, and they've SHOWN US they're taking full responsibility and doing it gladly. I don't know about you, but I can overlook the bad timing of these issues for that kind of dedication and support, because in the near future, we'll have an even better new sim. Let's face it, most of us didn't need or even want the new sim right away to begin with.Personally, from a dev side...If we were going to continue working full tilt, I'd welcome the delay for the FSX ground issues at this point because it buys us precious time we didn't have or lost so to speak during the beta. It also buys us time to release new FS9 products while making them FSX ready in the background. We've all seen that people are still buying FS9 products, including myself, so 2 sims on the market is really no factor in terms of sales, so long as your producing in a timely manner.Guys, not matter what I say about FSX and the folks at ACES here isn't meant to try and comfort you at all, and I don't want to speak for them either, I just want to put everything in it's proper place from our persective. Our persective is that they have shown us personally nothing but love and support for many years now which I think also reflects in their unwaivering support towards the customer. Having said that, it's not any where near close to calling FSX dead. Time will tell in the end, and no predictions from me, but lets wait until that time. Right now my confidence is still high with the new sim as it evolves and I still have FS9 to #### around with as I wish.Now, I'd like to say a word about this so called split in the community. I've waited to read all your posts over the past few months and come to this conclusion:If we're so divided, then why are we still posting/talking to one another here in these forums? Because there's 2 versions on the market? That's no reason at all. Nothing in the marketplace has shown us or anyone else that there has been a split. Has anyone here stopped simming? Don't think so.I only ask that we all support each other a bit better. Having 2 sims right now is no cause for panic.Also keep in mind that even though developers are announcing their plans, and it sound like things are set in stone, they are doing so with the information they have at this particular time. In other words, things are very fluid and dynamic right now. Developers should be carefull not to lock themselves down to any one particular track right now because they may have to change their plans on the fly.I've rambled enough, I'm tired, and have to work in the morning. As I said, at some point we may return, who knows, until then, you know the 3 most useless things to a pilot, right?The fuel you never took, the air above you, and the runway behind you. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

All I can say is that your comments show that you are someone who thinks in a rational and "big picture" way, and thank you for providing your perspective. I have never personally purchased one of your products, but if you ever do find your way back to selling add ons for FS9, FSX, FS11, or whatever, I'll be happy to give you my business.

That's a really nice compliment and we all appreciate it. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply