Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueString

AI Smooth V2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I wasnt aware there was a v2.0. That's good news, id laso like to know where to download it. Im currently using version 1.11 i beleive.

Well, AISmooth 1.2 is here at Avsim (filename: aismooth_v120.zip), but V2, does it exist? If so, I'm not aware of it.I've recently started using AISmooth, and have run across some strange ATC vectoring of late. Not sure if AISmooth is causing this problem, but I'm being vectored very far away from the airprot before being told by ATC to turn and intercept the ILS. Some times 40miles out. Is AISmooth causing this? Or do I have one of those retired ATC controllers on duty? You know the one, the ATC who has you turn left, then right, then left and back again right to intercept the ILS.Lee

What makes you beleive there is a new version available?A Google search came up negative and the author's website is not active - at least at the moment.Please tell us.

Cant say that im having the same problem as you, in fact I find AIsmooth is running flawlessly on my end. Again im using v 1.11 but i see there is definetly a version 1.2 so i think im gonna upgrade.

AI Smooth is not causing that. It's what you get when you have more AI flying around than FS can handle. You get vectored way out. Sometimes your flightplan will even be cancelled because you're too far out. You can reduce AI, open up non-parallel runways, etc... But at the end of the day, FS was not designed to handle this much traffic. Although with the help of AI Smooth and properly designed Afcads, it does more than a good job.As for version 2 of AI Smooth. I mailed the author in the beginning of this year to ask about it, because his website stated that it was in development. He gave no direct answer as to the current state of the program. He did say he had some ideas about a program called "AI Commander". That was also on his site. He further said that he was waiting for time to start working on it.So I'm afraid v2 and AI Commander are nothing more than ideas at the moment.

Since upgrading from v1.11 to v1.2 I've noticed more final approach go arounds due to planes sitting on the runway, lined up for takeoff, etc. Does anyone else notice this? I never seemed to see that with when I used v1.11.

It seems normal to me. I do suggest running with User Plane Response unchecked. One thing I have not tried is to increase the Global Approach Fix distancd up a bit from 10 nm. If you are at large airports with heavy traffic that might be a bit too close. I am seeing fifteen to twenty miles out.To get AI to exit the runway faster look for FS9Confiogurator here by Ken Salter. It has a working taxispeed utility. Increase it just a little bit though, along with separation of landing aircraft.

If you do use the configurator utility be very careful as increasing the landing speed value will adversly affect any AI ultra-lites or Helicopters you may have active - they will not make the final turn and land properly.There is another little utility you may wish to try - which extends the default "timeout" period before AI will dissappear.Here in the library it is called - aitp10.zipIt works very well for me.

I just increased taxi speed with FS9 Configurator so they taxi off the runway faster and clear the exit taxiways faster, not landing speed on approach. AISmooth actually has the opposite capability of enabling an option to slow landing speed. I have never tried it. I have seen postings where some have claimed AI land too fast and have an extended landing roll. Then again, you do not want to have them stall, either.Thanks for the heads up on the AI timeout utility.

They did mention that V2 was in the works, but that was a while backBill

My AI seemed to work just fine and I do NOT have this program. What does it do to the AI that I dont have without this program; what does this program do? jerrycwo4

>>There is another little utility you may wish to try - which>extends the default "timeout" period before AI will>dissappear.>>Here in the library it is called - aitp10.zip>>It works very well for me.>Can someone tell me if this can be used "in reverse"? ie, to make the time before deletion shorter - like 2.5 minutes...Geoff

. . . and by spacing out aircraft on final allows AI in the takeoff queue to interleave with arriving AI.When you load or create a flight in FS, AI has a time window (+/- 15 minutes I believe) that AI flights will use to depart from their scheduled time. You will see AI with minimal separation start taxiing to the active runways in a steady stream. Similarly, scheduled AI pop-up around some radius of their airport and bunch up on arrival causing congestion on arrival.All of this leads to backup of the take-off queues. FS does seem to hold AI at the hold short points when AI are still quite a way out on final. I've also noticed when AI spotting that some AI are not separated enough and some go around.AI Smooth can also help with your arrival allowing you to squeeze in to a dense "string of pearls" situation.How much of an effect you see depends on how much AI you've got and what percent you are running AI at, plus the type of airport you are at.I've got Ultimate Traffic 2004 and with its real world schedules has lots of AI at dense airports so this can be a problem. Even if you refresh AI when you start taxiing to the runway by the time you get there there still could be quite a backup depending on your taxi time and the airport layout.

>>>>Can someone tell me if this can be used "in reverse"? ie, to>make the time before deletion shorter - like 2.5 minutes...>>GeoffAs far as I know it cannot be used to shorten the default AI timeout length - but why would anyone want to?

It's a must have for those that run with alot of custom AI traffic.

> - but why would anyone want to?>Thanks. I was just wondering if a subtle decrease in this time would reduce the aircraft waiting at the runway. Most of the time it's ok but just sometimes when a crosswing RWY is in use, the witing time for TO can be a bit too long...The current way I try to solve this is to let the sim run for 30 minuted or so before I intend to use it but obviously that isn't always a reasonable thing to do!Geoff

>>The current way I try to solve this is to let the sim run for 30 minuted or so before I intend to use it but obviously that isn't always a reasonable thing to do!The heck with that - it takes too long to set up a flight as it is. If I don't want to wait in line I just go up to the menu, reset AI to 0%, go back to the taxiing for a second and then reset my AI again to 40% or whatever I want it at, and FS9 resets it. The only thing I lose doing it that way is the wait in line! :-)Check out this thread on how to do this while in flight. It's come in very handy! << http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=24540 >>

Hi,A simple thing to do to avoid the line is to taxi up to the first runway entrance *beyond* the end of the runway and ask for takeoff clearance from there (i.e. an intersection takeoff). You will be the next plane to get clearance.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Chuck:Another "cool" way of dealing with a hefty line (or even an aircraft in front of you on final to the same runway) is to use FSUIPC's new "Traffic Zapper". Not certain, but I think it's only usable with the registered version.In short, by assigning the "zapper" function to a joystick/yoke button, you can simply press it and any aircraft in its "cone" of recognition will be "zapped" into non-existence. The cone is basically a finite space in front of the aircraft, so it has some basic limitations. But it's fast, easy and it makes a cool sound when an aircraft gets zapped(hehe); and it has the ancillary benefit of not having to eliminate all the other traffic in the air or on the ground.Check the latest FSUIPC manual for FS9 for further information.

I will! I have the registered version of FSUIPC and have not heard a word about this. I will definately check it out! And Tom's suggestion of taxiing into position at the leading taxiway to get clearance first works too. Two problems with it though: if you're taking off heavy you may need the whole runway, and 2) I've never like line cutters! :-)

Well, I've been flying FS2004 since it was released, and never had issues with atc vectors to final before (vectored way out). ATC traffic has not changed either for years. It was only after trying AI Smooth that I started having these very strange vectors to long final. Either way, after several tests (flying IFR) I only get the long final vectors when using AI smooth... So,,, Lee

I was going to upgrade to version 1.2 from 1.11, But the 1.11 seems to work great for me. Anyone know the advantages in upgrading to V 1.2?