Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Alexandervw

How to become a pilot?

Guest Alexandervw

Hello,I'm now going to my last year in secondary school, and I'm looking for a pilot school.I live in Belgium and saw that I was able to go to the KLM Flight Academy... But it costs over

Alexander,I think this ain't the right place to aks this question. On www.airwork.nl you can find a lot of information about becoming a pilot and especially becoming a pilot in The Netherlands.Good luck!

Hello,I'm now going to my last year in secondary school, and I'm looking for a pilot school.I live in Belgium and saw that I was able to go to the KLM Flight Academy... But it costs over

but I'm very sure that if you wear glasses to correct vision, you will not be accepted for commercial pilot training with an airline.
Are you really very sure? Don't misinform others on the subject you have limited info about. In the USA you can be a commercial pilot with 1-st class FAA medical and wearing glasses. There are many such pilots, freshly hired too, 100% legal. But ultimately it is up to an airline if they want to hire you - and wearing glasses or be an expert in Shakespearean literature may count equally in your hiring prospects. But like Pieter stated above - this is not the place to discuss about becoming a pilot in the Netherlands.

Guest CX355

:( :(

Are you really very sure? Don't misinform others on the subject you have limited info about. In the USA you can be a commercial pilot with 1-st class FAA medical and wearing glasses. There are many such pilots, freshly hired too, 100% legal. But ultimately it is up to an airline if they want to hire you - and wearing glasses or be an expert in Shakespearean literature may count equally in your hiring prospects. But like Pieter stated above - this is not the place to discuss about becoming a pilot in the Netherlands.
correct....most vision problems/not all which require the use of glasses must be able to be corrected to 20/20 as I have been told......many pilots wear glasses, especially those who are moving up the age ladder.....VB

:( :( correct....most vision problems/not all which require the use of glasses must be able to be corrected to 20/20 as I have been told......many pilots wear glasses, especially those who are moving up the age ladder.....VB
My info comes from a friend who was going through the process of beginning pilot training until someone noticed that he wore glasses. Ended abrubtly that career choice. That was a number of years ago though, and possibly rules have changed. Of course commercial pilots may wear glasses if they became necessary after some years of service.But, hey, I could be wrong. Have been before.Jim D.Edit: OK, I'm wrong. Found this on a GOOGLE search:YES, yes, yes- pilots CAN wear glasses! Civilian private or commercial pilots are permitted to wear glasses or contacts. Per the Federal Aviation Regulations, pilots must have vision that is 20/20 or correctable to that for commercial flying and 20/40 or vision correctable to that for private flying. I am an airline pilot and I fly with people who wear both all the time.Here are the eyesight standards for civilian pilots. A "First Class" medical is needed for airline pilots, while a "Third Class" medical is needed for private operators.Code of Federal Regulations; Title 14: Aeronautics and SpacePART 67

Guest Alexandervw
To be a commercial pilot, wearing glasses isn't a problem.And I'm from Belgium.Ciao,Alexander

I just went for my First Class Medical here in the states - and I was told to bring my glasses. I know there are some issues regarding military aviators and glasses, however since I don't know the facts, I will not speculate. As far as the aviation industry goes, it really fluctuates. If you base your dreams on the highs and lows of an industry that is usually always like that, than you'll be disappointed. I'm just about about to begin my training at the ATP Academy, and I am also weary about the future. I, however, have many friends that are pilots for Delta, Air Tran, and Continental and they seem to think that if I were to ever begin training - doing so in a down time would be the most advisable. Hopefully when things start to swing around, I'll be finished with my MEI, CFII tickets and they'll be hiring.If you want to do it, than you'll find a way. Also, if you want better information - I would suggest going over to a site that is centered around real world aviation. As you know, this site and more specifically this forum is for PMDG products. Try airlinepilotforums.com. Take Care,Blake Williams

Guest Alexandervw
Alexander,Check also this website, http://www.sfa.be
Thanks for the link... I didn't know that in Belgium there was a pilot school too.Please keep sending links, information, ... I think a lot of people dream about a pilot career, and usefull information helps to make this dream come true!!!!Thanks!!!Ciao,Alexander

I signed up but got rejected because I'm colorblind.Funny though because I can't really see how this will effect my performance.

I highly recommend the Delta Avation Academy. Its located in Sanford Florida. I personally looked into the program and found it to be one of the best avaliable. However, this is a VERY expensive carreer path. I would recommend that you save up your money and pay as you go thru it. Here is some free advise This advise I charge for in my world....You dont want to start a $24,000 a year job with $100,000 of debt. This is dumb. Dont be a dummy, in debt.....That $100,000 WILL have interest attached to it....and now your even worse shape. Hows that to start off your life?, 5 years or more of six figure debt!. Debt is not a plan for your future--peter osborn

Guest redmotion

Why would anyone go through commerical air pilot training to get paid $24,000 a year! Can't you get that as an assistant manager at walmart?! The $100,000 debt is proportionate to the ACTUAL salary of an airline pilot which is at least DOUBLE that to begin with. 5 years of debt hanging around your shoulders is no different from going to Uni. Some people think that debt is an investment. If it is in your future career and skills or a house I think it is worth it, if it's for a sports car, then no!http://careers.stateuniversity.com/pages/8...lane-Pilot.htmlThis is out of date but to quote "In 2004 the median salary of all airline pilots was $129,250 per year". That is a salary not to be sniffed at - its at least +$40k that now. In this world you need to earn as much honest money as you can (especially in the US where the salaries seem so bad and the healthcare isn't free).

Alexander,Don't let these remarks about US situation distract you - ask for info where I told you in Belgium (US doesn't evenknow where our country is :( )True, it is a major investment - money wise / time wise.But satisfaction of the job, the freedom of flying, the responsibility of PIC, etc... does put everything in perspective.The moment you squeelch your mike and say : " Antwerpen Ground, goeiemorgend, OO-KPM in front of the hangarat Charlie requesting taxi for touch and goes " for the first time gives you the chills like you will never experience behind a frecking desk in Walmart... that's why you do it m8.And I didn't mention the first time you line up on a lighted runway after T/O clearance...

I signed up but got rejected because I'm colorblind.Funny though because I can't really see how this will effect my performance.
Ability to see color might be important if you loose communcation radio and need to receive light signals from the tower to land. Also, helpful to recognize red and green nav lights when avoiding traffic at night. Probably several more reasons I can't think of off of the top of my head.Please sign your posts in this forum.

Guest merijnie

HeyIk ben ook van Belgi

Guest Alexandervw
Alexander,Don't let these remarks about US situation distract you - ask for info where I told you in Belgium (US doesn't evenknow where our country is :( )True, it is a major investment - money wise / time wise.But satisfaction of the job, the freedom of flying, the responsibility of PIC, etc... does put everything in perspective.The moment you squeelch your mike and say : " Antwerpen Ground, goeiemorgend, OO-KPM in front of the hangarat Charlie requesting taxi for touch and goes " for the first time gives you the chills like you will never experience behind a frecking desk in Walmart... that's why you do it m8.And I didn't mention the first time you line up on a lighted runway after T/O clearance...
Hey,I would like to do it because it's my dream...So if money isn't an overcoming problem, I really would like to do it.Thanks!Ciao,Alexander

The $100,000 debt is proportionate to the ACTUAL salary of an airline pilot which is at least DOUBLE that to begin with.
I hope you realize you'd be very very lucky to make more then 40k in your first 4 or 5 years...IF you get a job. And from what I hear, being the new guy on the block in your airline is quite the job. The figures you're quoting are either completely outdated (on the highside) or only result with many years of seniority. Last I heard...a senior captain on cross-Atlantic routes makes maybe 200k...which is as high as a postion goes...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

:( Colour blind....can't see... very droll.

$100-200,000 starting salary? LOL!!!!!!!Try 20k while packing fish in the back of a 206 up north or as an instructor if you stay south. But who cares, I'd love either of those jobs regardless of pay and that's what I'm working towards. Don't get into flying for money, get into it because it's your dream career.That said don't get into debt just to get in fast - you are better off taking a full time job to pay for the training and just flying when you can afford it and coming out debt free, at least that's the route I'm taking. It should still only take me 3-4 years, and once I'm done I won't have to worry if that job offer I got from ABC Flying Club will pay the bills or not.As for vision requirements, in Canada you need 20/30 vision WITH glasses, it's not nearly as restrictive as people think. That said if you are colour blind you are out of luck unfortunately.

Funny though because I can't really see how this will effect my performance.
Maybe 50 years ago I would think that being color blind should not be a huge handicap for a pilot but today .. try to operate something like the G1000 glass cockpit while being color blind - impossible.

I wish you good luck in your future endeavour and to pursue a career within Aviation. This was also my dream, and in 2003 i went to a Norwegian/American flight academy and passed the admission tests, but i couldn't afford to start the education back then, and when i saw the fluctuating economy in the aviation sector through the years, i changed my mind.I changed to the Maritime sector instead, where i have worked a few years as an able seaman, and a few weeks ago i started on the Maritime technical college, which is a free education (at least where i live) + i get a great scholarship from the company i currently work at. Deck officers are always in demand for the Norwegian offshore sector, let alone the ferries. Also the salary is not too bad. It could be a good alternative to aviation at least :)Anyway, i wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do. Becoming an airline pilot was my big dream as well, but i'll do with a PPL license now, as i do plan to take that sometime in the futureKind regardsJan