Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest 413X3

top developers who stop short of a complete variant package

For me the biggest disappointments I have are:level-D = ignoring freighter fans and -200 fans by only releasing a -300ER (not sure what they are doing with a 757 but I would not be shocked if they only built a passenger -200)PMDG = not releasing a BBJ for the NG (and they also said no BBJ for the NGv2...), not releasing a -400ER, -400ERFFlytampa = releasing only a retro version of Hong Kong not the latest

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You are so right...What about Aerosoft releasing scenery (Madeira etc.) where you can't see the airport for shimmer!They didn't care to mipmap the textures, NO TIME - GOT VERDOMME! - yelled a certain "Flying Dutchman" over there...We need to make some money so I can buy more sportscars and maybe a chateau or 2 or 3 in France...Chicago X, hmmm...? I won't even comment on that weird dump... It's a lost project they scraped up from the floor somewhere, yeeks...Venice, Italy? I won't even go into that.Manhattan X? Turn sliders down to minimum.... Ooops! Why do I not run FS9 instead?San Fransisco? Only parts of the town is "Aerosoft" - the rest is default, looks utterly stupid. No nightlights too...Do I have to go on? No...Oh yes, a new B52 from Captain Sim, I think it is... But you only get the "shell" (OK english?) - the rest VC etc - will hopefully get published later...Damn - I should sell software to Happy Simmers, it's sooo easy!

You are so right...What about Aerosoft releasing scenery (Madeira etc.) where you can't see the airport for shimmer!They didn't care to mipmap the textures, NO TIME - GOT VERDOMME! - yelled a certain "Flying Dutchman" over there...We need to make some money so I can buy more sportscars and maybe a chateau or 2 or 3 in France...Chicago X, hmmm...? I won't even comment on that weird dump... It's a lost project they scraped up from the floor somewhere, yeeks...Venice, Italy? I won't even go into that.Manhattan X? Turn sliders down to minimum.... Ooops! Why do I not run FS9 instead?San Fransisco? Only parts of the town is "Aerosoft" - the rest is default, looks utterly stupid. No nightlights too...Do I have to go on? No...Oh yes, a new B52 from Captain Sim, I think it is... But you only get the "shell" (OK english?) - the rest VC etc - will hopefully get published later...Damn - I should sell software to Happy Simmers, it's sooo easy!
what he said!

The only one I don't agree with is Fly Tampa's Hong Kong.After Orbx, it's the best scenery ever created for FSX. I can only imagine what Martin could do with Rio de Janeiro or NYC and the 4 surrounding main airports.I just think that Fly Tampa is one of the best. I would not put them into a category of developers that doesn't finish a project.It would be great if they could update the fs9 airports. But, they don't have to.I do agree that many developers release unfinished sceneries or sceneries with texture issues. By now they should know how to design trees that don't shimmer.

HelloAm I missing something here, you bought an Aerosoft scenery which did not come up to the standards that you expected.thats fair enough but why would you keep buying scenery after scenery from them and being disappointed every time.Thats not very smart is it?Or were these "nothing wrong with a bit of sharing between friends" type of purchases like your operating systems.Please stop this agenda against Aerosoft, either that or just stop buying from them

I don't have a problem with Flytampa releasing the old Hong Kong, I just wish they would also release a more up to date version of the city and new airport as wellAlso wish they would update their other airports like KMIA

Please stop this agenda against Aerosoft, either that or just stop buying from them
I stopped buying...

HelloAm I missing something here, you bought an Aerosoft scenery which did not come up to the standards that you expected.thats fair enough but why would you keep buying scenery after scenery from them and being disappointed every time.Thats not very smart is it?Or were these "nothing wrong with a bit of sharing between friends" type of purchases like your operating systems.Please stop this agenda against Aerosoft, either that or just stop buying from them
In all fairness, Aerosoft is more the vendor and not the developer, of which they have a few that develop for them and as such, every product they sell is of a different standard/quality. I have some great products from them and I have a few that I will never buy if I know it is the same developer.One thing for the Op to keep in mind, not every developer has the same knowledge/skill set, otherwise all products would be of the same quality. You can't fault an addon for not including something another has either because of design decisions or lack of knowledge/skill. I happen to agree with some of the aerosoft addons mentioned which is why I avoid those particular developers till they either lose the attitude, gain some knowledge or just make better design decisions.

There are several reasons why developers do not create every model for a given aircraft type. I'll list a couple I can think of...1. Data. Developers who care about what they are creating will only take the time to create a model that they have the DATA for. If the data is not available, then development for a particular model is not done. If the developers have access to a given model, all the better.2. Options options options. Airline options don't count as a model. Boeing offers thousands of options that airlines either buy or don't buy. It simply isn't possible to offer all the options in one sim add-on. Therefore, most sane developers choose ONE AIRCRAFT and ONE SET OF OPTIONS to concentrate on.So, let's say both those obstacles have been solved, or are no longer a factor. 3. Cost. Want all the variants? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_767 How long is that going to take, and how much is that going to cost the consumer? Will the consumer pay the higher price? 4. Time. Development of an aircraft simulator takes THOUSANDS of hours of development. THOUSANDS. That's why it takes so long for really good products to be released.

Damn - I should sell software to Happy Simmers, it's sooo easy!
Sure. But a lot harder than whining about add ons that you don't like :(Edited: BTW Aerosoft published one of the best sceneries that I have. The Dillingham X. And this was about two years before you became a member here on Avsim.

Don't put all the blame on the developers.If people wouldn't buy a half finished product, then the developers wouldn't release them until finished.If you bought one of those incomplete airplanes, you haveno one to blame but yourself.Don't buy them until they're completely finished and that will put an end to this crap.Keep buying them and more and more developers will startdoing the same.

For me the biggest disappointments I have are:level-D = ignoring freighter fans and -200 fans by only releasing a -300ER (not sure what they are doing with a 757 but I would not be shocked if they only built a passenger -200)PMDG = not releasing a BBJ for the NG (and they also said no BBJ for the NGv2...), not releasing a -400ER, -400ERFFlytampa = releasing only a retro version of Hong Kong not the latest
The whole point of the Fly Tampa release was to do Kai Tak, due to popular demand (love that checkerboard approach). ImagineSim has done the modern.DJ

What we need are more professional reviewers.
I second that. At least get some qualified real-world pilots to review aircraft addons. Am tired of reading about "bump-mapping" and "30 different liveries" then finding the aeroplane flies like a dog when I buy it.Sorry for the thread drift...TrafficPilot

Am tired of reading about "bump-mapping" and "30 different liveries" then finding the aeroplane flies like a dog when I buy it.TrafficPilot
That sums up my experience of the CS 767..

I am not a huge fan of Aerosoft and their work, but I take exception to people publicly defaming Mathjius Kock(SP?), he is an employee of the company, which he clearly states in his FSbreak interview. As the public face of the company he gets alot of inappropriate personal attacks, it's uncouth and more importantly it doesn't actually solve any problems.For every xxxxx Aerosoft turns out they also make some great stuff, lets not lose sight of that... ex. the twin otter, beaver, and the Lisbon Airport.You can make your opinion known by choosing not to purchase their stuff, there's no need to go after one guy in a 60+ employee organization.

I am not a huge fan of Aerosoft and their work, but I take exception to people publicly defaming Mathjius Kock(SP?), he is an employee of the company, which he clearly states in his FSbreak interview. As the public face of the company he gets alot of inappropriate personal attacks, it's uncouth and more importantly it doesn't actually solve any problems.For every xxxxx Aerosoft turns out they also make some great stuff, lets not lose sight of that... ex. the twin otter, beaver, and the Lisbon Airport.You can make your opinion known by choosing not to purchase their stuff, there's no need to go after one guy in a 60+ employee organization.
I guess this one was directed at me?How old are you?Do you have any experience in an international business environment where production and profit is above everything else?I have this experience and I can assure you it doesn't matter rats *** if it's cars, airplanes, food or softdrinks that you sell, the bottomline IS profit!I have a feeling that the ordinary positive and brighteyed happy flightsimmer most of the time is NOT grounded here on earth, but prefer to live in the rosy red skies of beauty and Flightsim Neverland, and I surely understand that, but it's not the real world. The real world is uggly and filled with sleazy salespeople who want to sell, and sell no matter what methods they use!That's my point with Aerosoft and their "Flying Dutchman" salesperson/spokesperson, or whatever he is...Look at their forum and the obvious problems with many of the products.An example:Madeira People have complained about the flickering and shimmer at the airport. The textures are not mip-mapped, people are told to do that themselves by downloading a patch and a tool!Look at the thread: "Why I get +50 FPS and you don't"It's an arrogant statement and a "Pied Pipers Tale", made to lure FSX kid's into buying something they can't run with their 600 USD computer their dads gave them...It's a shame, and I'm glad that my post over there made Monsieur Kok close it. Thank you, no more mis-information.Aerosoft have made great add-ons, YES - but their strategy have changed, it's now production and quick sales as focus, hence the problems with the latest add-ons.Look at Chicago X, it's a disgrace to sell a product like that!BTW: I like their F16 a lot, but why, oh why make an aircraft that's almost impossible to fly on an ordinary PC?Look what you can do with the frame-friendly and outstanding L-39 Albatros from Lotus Sim?It IS possible to make quality and good performing add-ons for FSX, but it takes TIME - so IMO, don't expect those from Aerosoft anymore.

I think you are missing my point, it's perfectly fine to be unhappy with their products and to discuss that in an open forum, however defaming ONE GUY at Aerosoft, saying he is SOLELY responsible for their quality is unproductive, it fixes nothing.BTW, since you asked I am a 35 year old physician who owns an imaging center in the USA, so I think I know a little about how business works.

Considering the shrinking audience and closure of ACES, I am glad that we have a few really.......talented developers out there who still create fantastic products for FSX. I for one would rather have PMDG or Level-D release one variant of a highly detailed aircraft on-time rather than slipping the schedule to satisfy all fringes of the community. They have to meet payroll and pay taxes just like the rest of us. I don't get too excited about having all variants of the aircraft available at release. I prefer the developers to have the ability to focus in-depth on one variant and get...it...right.

I too stopped buying aerosoft. Them not providing any support for me falling through the metlife building in my helo was the final straw. I wonder how they release some of the things they have in the past year or so without feeling shame. San fran and manhattan I bought at the same time thinking they would rock because all aerosoft stuff previous to that was great. They were both shimmering messes that ran 10x worse than other scenery packages that look 10x better *cough* flytampa kaitak. Aerosoft went through a drastic change a year or so ago where quality took a dive and it appears that I am not even close to the only one that has noticed. They have to really prove they have turned back around again to get any future money from me.

As far as I can see you are the first to mention Mathjius Kock's name in this thread.

FSXBUSTER opined - 'Do you have any experience in an international business environment where production and profit is above everything else?I have this experience and I can assure you it doesn't matter rats *** if it's cars, airplanes, food or softdrinks that you sell, the bottomline IS profit!I have a feeling that the ordinary positive and brighteyed happy flightsimmer most of the time is NOT grounded here on earth, but prefer to live in the rosy red skies of beauty and Flightsim Neverland, and I surely understand that, but it's not the real world. The real world is uggly and filled with sleazy salespeople who want to sell, and sell no matter what methods they use!'I work for one of the largest multinational defence contractors on Earth, some of whose products are simulated in FS. Whilst I agree profit is very high on our list, it's not the number one concern. Since you have so much experience in 'an international business environment', would you like to guess what the number one concern is? I'd be interested how many guesses it'll take you.Cheers, SLuggy

As far as I can see you are the first to mention Mathjius Kock's name in this thread.
I don't think it's too hard to see who he's talking about here:"They didn't care to mipmap the textures, NO TIME - GOT VERDOMME! - yelled a certain "Flying Dutchman" over there...We need to make some money so I can buy more sportscars and maybe a chateau or 2 or 3 in France..."Do you?