Sign in to follow this  
aljones

Pacific North West from ORBX is out !

Hi Bob,The elevation adjustments we have are only applied within the boundaries of PNW, so it does not affect anywhere outside the area. Funny thing is, we honestly did not expect anyone to disable PNW and then go fly there again using default. Our bad. We're working on a patch to FTX Central which also disables those elevation adjustments. Meantime, one workaround is to disable (not delete!) all ADE_FTX_PNW*.BGL files in Scenery\World\Scenery - there are 99 of them.
There's an easier way to do it, until any patch comes out for the FTX Central interface.1. Create a new folder somewhere on your hard drive, with a "scenery" subfolder under it. I called mine this:- FTX PNW Elevation Adjustment Files - Scenery2. MOVE (not copy) those 99 files from the FSX Scenery\World\Scenery folder into the "scenery" subfolder you created in #1 above.3. ADD the folder from #1 above to your FSX Scenery Library. Move it down to just above the "Default Scenery" entry at the bottom of the Scenery Library list.You can now "enable" or "disable" those 99 files when you start FSX by using the Scenery Library checkbox for the folder after you activated or de-activated the Pacific Northwest scenery with FTX Central (before starting FSX).

Rick Ryan

Any chance of ORBX doing scenery for California next? :D

What traffic addon are you using, Jigsaw?
I don't use any traffic add on. I heard that somewhere down the road there is going to be a traffic package for PNW like there aleady is for the Australia scenery. Since I don't fly outside the orbx and FSAddon sceneries anymore, I might just as well wait for that. ;)

Guest Hondabuff

How is the detail at Pearson Field. It was always a challange to get my 767 stopped on that strip. :( Full Reverse thrust and land like Im in a F-18.

Guest OldB
Hi Bob,The elevation adjustments we have are only applied within the boundaries of PNW, so it does not affect anywhere outside the area. Funny thing is, we honestly did not expect anyone to disable PNW and then go fly there again using default. Our bad. We're working on a patch to FTX Central which also disables those elevation adjustments. Meantime, one workaround is to disable (not delete!) all ADE_FTX_PNW*.BGL files in Scenery\World\Scenery - there are 99 of them.
Yes, and maybe I'm the only one, but this is actually the main reason I'm staing with GEX/UTX!FTX just doesn't go together with other add-ons, GEX/UTX in particular, sorry folks...

Yes, and maybe I'm the only one, but this is actually the main reason I'm staing with GEX/UTX!FTX just doesn't go together with other add-ons, GEX/UTX in particular, sorry folks...
There are a lot of third-party scenery addons, both freeware and payware, that don't "go together" with other addons.You either learn how to use the FSX Scenery Library (and FSX itself) effectively to overcome this, or you don't. Your decision.But quit dissing an addon because YOU don't want to learn how to do it...or take the time to use various addons in an effective manner depending on where and how you want to fly using FSX. If all YOU want is a "hands off" version of FSX, just delete ALL the addons you have and run the RTM out-of-the-box version. Your "sorry folks" tirade is an indication of YOUR shortcomings...not anybody else's here. Many of us use BOTH UTX\GEX and FTX...without ANY of the complaining you do about it.

Rick Ryan

Question: does leaving FTX North America as the active profile in FTX Central harm performance in any way in areas outside of PNW, for example when flying on the US east coast?Thanks,Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So OldB, what is your real agenda? Anyone with all these addons working smoothly knows that you are making statements either out of a lack of knowledge, or experience, or both. If you are in this thread just to stir up trouble, or to put unfounded doubts and fears in peoples minds, then I predict you won't last long around here.

There are a lot of third-party scenery addons, both freeware and payware, that don't "go together" with other addons.You either learn how to use the FSX Scenery Library (and FSX itself) effectively to overcome this, or you don't. Your decision.But quit dissing an addon because YOU don't want to learn how to do it...or take the time to use various addons in an effective manner depending on where and how you want to fly using FSX. If all YOU want is a "hands off" version of FSX, just delete ALL the addons you have and run the RTM out-of-the-box version. Your "sorry folks" tirade is an indication of YOUR shortcomings...not anybody else's here. Many of us use BOTH UTX\GEX and FTX...without ANY of the complaining you do about it.
Wait a sec here. Okay you made me nervous about getting PNW now. I have to learn Scenery Library to use it with UTX/GEX? What happens to UTX/GEX outside of the PNW boundries? What happens when you fly from one area to another?

Okay you made me nervous about getting PNW now. I have to learn Scenery Library to use it with UTX/GEX? What happens to UTX/GEX outside of the PNW boundries?
I'm using PNW with UTX/GEX and FSGenesis mesh. I really can't find a reason I would want to disable the PNW scenery except for when doing an update to GEX v1.09 which was explained in the GEX update instructions. I re-enabled PNW after the update and all is running and looking wonderful on my sim.No problems for me and the visual enhancement is spectacular.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I'm using PNW with UTX/GEX and FSGenesis mesh. I really can't find a reason I would want to disable the PNW scenery except for when doing an update to GEX v1.09 which was explained in the GEX update instructions. I re-enabled PNW after the update and all is running and looking wonderful on my sim.No problems for me and the visual enhancement is spectacular.
So you don't have to disable PNW to fly outside of the area with GEX/UTX? In other words; Is it a seamless transition?

OldB,In David's absence I am going to remind you of his last communication with you."OldB, this is your last post in this thread, ok?I thought you were adult enough to understand my previous warnings.I expect this one to be clearer."I appreciate all opinions from both sides, but you're just trolling at this point.

So you don't have to disable PNW to fly outside of the area with GEX/UTX? In other words; Is it a seamless transition?
Yes and no. You don't have to disable anything to fly outside of the NA Blue area, but the transition isn't seamless. You can definitely see when you cross the boundary. Outside of FTX, it should look like it did to you before you installed it.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Yes and no. You don't have to disable anything to fly outside of the NA Blue area, but the transition isn't seamless. You can definitely see when you cross the boundary. Outside of FTX, it should look like it did to you before you installed it.
Except for some trees, I think. The FTX PNW trees would still show up "outside" of the PNW area.And to expand on a couple other questions since my last post...There is no need to mess with the FSX Scenery Library with FTX PNW UNLESS you want to disable PNW using the FTX Central interface then fly in the SAME AREAS PNW covers. If you want to do that, then until ORBX comes out with the "patch" that will disable the "Elevation Files" contained in PNW when you disable PNW using FTX Central, you will have airport elevation errors in your DEFAULT scenery (or other TEXTURE ONLY scenery like GEX USA) for airports in the PNW coverage area. To TEMPORARILY solve that problem (if you want to), follow my directions about making a separate folder for those 99 Elevation files and get them out of the default FSX Scenery\World\Scenery folder. Activate or de-activate them using the Scenery Library then, depending on whether you have FTX PNW enabled or disabled using the current FTX Central interface. See my earlier post above on how to do it.

Rick Ryan

Is this an example of clearcut patches, or are the scenery tiles not updating or are corrupted?Is it real, or is it defective?! Could be real IS defective, I'm afraid!Doesn't seem to want to let me edit out these pics. I was going to load just one, but no ediing out is allowed I guess.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X