Sign in to follow this  
Noel

J4100 displays--how about adding 2D popups?

I don't think there is are hot spots to bring up the EADI or EHSI are there? That is a very nice feature to have available when there is no 2D panel and characters are small when using high res monitors. Is that a difficult programming task?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Not happening, sorry. There's a reason this plane doesn't have a 2D panel, we already went above and beyond what was intended with all the popups that are there in the SP1 version of the plane.Characters do not display smaller as resolution increases in 3D views, that's a Windows desktop DPI related thing. The J41 displays look the same at any res and they'll actually be sharper the higher the res is.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Noel, there are several techniques for using the VC. Mine is to use the space bar to toggle mouse control of viewpoint and the mouse wheel will zoom in and out quickly and easily.

Dan Downs KCRP

I really don't understand PMDG's rather arrogant attitude towards popups (We're right, the customer is wrong).My own preferred modus operandi is to have the virtual cockpit on the main monitor and the pop ups on a second monitor positioned as far as possible as they are in the real cockpit. It is than easy to glance at the instruments/panels to read the information and make any necessary adjustments. This seems to me to be far more realistic than zooming in using a mouse scroll or keyboard in a virtual cockpit especially when in a critical phase of the flight. In real life, we don't see pilots leaning forward to read their instruments.I would suggest that PMDG make the pop ups avasilable and let the customer decide whether to use them or not.

To each, his or her own, I guess. Regarding the J4100, PMDG has been very clear from before its release that this is a lower price point product with a VC only. No arrogant attitude at all as I've interpreted them...you're getting what you paid for. IMHO, I'm actually getting a lot more as this is simply a wonderful aircraft to fly in FSX. And search this forum for user-created camera views that emulate well a 2-D pop-up panel.I've been using the new EZDOK camera product from Flight1 with this plane, and the combination is just fantastic....great views of the relevant panels when I need them along with incredible effects that simulate turbulence and ground effects.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I agree Wayne, I always used 2D panels until I got into the JS41 cockpit and now I wish the whole pmdg fleet had a VC like this one. I love it.

Dan Downs KCRP

I agree Wayne, I always used 2D panels until I got into the JS41 cockpit and now I wish the whole pmdg fleet had a VC like this one. I love it.
Completely agree. Although, I do agree somewhat with the person above that said they like having 2D pop-ups on the second monitor. For instance in the MD-11 or 744 I'll open the overhead in 2D and throw it over there, ditto the FMS for easier typing. For the J41 I just have to open a second view and rotate the view through to the overhead and open the 2d of the FMS. Hardly a major shift, imho.

Not happening, sorry. There's a reason this plane doesn't have a 2D panel, we already went above and beyond what was intended with all the popups that are there in the SP1 version of the plane.
Funny how people react when they are sensitized, sometimes missing the original question completely. I said nothing about wanting a 2D panel, I said how about 2d pop ups for gauges, and asked if there were pop ups for the EADI or EHSI (you know, you click the gauge and a large version pops up?), and asked how hard a programming task it was.Again, how difficult a task is that? Just for a couple of key gauges and displays . . .

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

If you miss the 2d cockpit, you should check the FS2Crew topic If you missed your 2D cockpit in the Jetstream, you'll like this!. Quite promising...
And then another one follows off of the first misread . . . HARDLY USE 2D PANELS--LIKE POP UPS WHEN THE GAUGE TEXT IS SO SMALL IT'S HARD TO READ.
I really don't understand PMDG's rather arrogant attitude towards popups (We're right, the customer is wrong).My own preferred modus operandi is to have the virtual cockpit on the main monitor and the pop ups on a second monitor positioned as far as possible as they are in the real cockpit. It is than easy to glance at the instruments/panels to read the information and make any necessary adjustments. This seems to me to be far more realistic than zooming in using a mouse scroll or keyboard in a virtual cockpit especially when in a critical phase of the flight. In real life, we don't see pilots leaning forward to read their instruments.I would suggest that PMDG make the pop ups avasilable and let the customer decide whether to use them or not.
Here's a guy who read the OP's real question, re pop ups. Thank you. Don't want the whole 2D panel--FT's ERJ does this perfectly (while dropping the ball sadly on VC cockpit lighting, which of course is wonderful on the J4200.

Noel

Please sign your posts. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Please sign your posts. Thanks.
Done

Noel

Dear programmers at PMDG .... a feature like the one in the upcomming new version of fs2crew with a "VC Panel Switcher" would solve the request for those of us who miss 2D panel pop ups..... or at least make it a lot easier to use the VC cockpit without those tracking devices.I'm not, and will probably never become a Fs2Crew customer, but a tool like this "VC Panel Switcher" would sure be a lot appreciated from your hands.Jesper.

In theory this is probably possible.By making a small Xml gauge with an transparent background and a click spot that opens/closes a popup window when clicked on. Add a new popup window window to the panel that holds the EADI/EHSI. Positioning this xml gauge on top of the EADI might do the trick.It would take some enterprising customer willing to give it a try, but then you would have your solution without having to wait for PMDG to provide it.I haven't tried it of course, but its probably worth a try.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

well im looking forward to Fscrew hehe. Its gonna add alot to the sim I cant wait :(