Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phoenixphire

EVGA or ASUS or does it matter?

I was wondering if someone could educate me about the difference between manufactures. I would like to purchase a gtx480 but I don't know if I should choose asus or evga or if it matters. I have always been loyal to evga based on solid reputation. Thanks in advance

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I was wondering if someone could educate me about the difference between manufactures. I would like to purchase a gtx480 but I don't know if I should choose asus or evga or if it matters. I have always been loyal to evga based on solid reputation. Thanks in advance
I stick with eVGA for the lifetime warranty and actual human beings that answer the phone, are actively present in their forums and provide real support. ASUS builds decent stuff, but my experience with their support is that you would need to get on a plane, fly to Taiwan, and put a pistol to someone's head to get a question answered.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

At the moment all gtx470/480 are made from nvidia directly (PCB & all components, expect water blocks of corse). So technically it does not matter which brand do you choose.

I stick with eVGA for the lifetime warranty and actual human beings that answer the phone, are actively present in their forums and provide real support. ASUS builds decent stuff, but my experience with their support is that you would need to get on a plane, fly to Taiwan, and put a pistol to someone's head to get a question answered.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
LOL! Another rare but priceless answer that colours our otherwise grey and drab world!! :( Stephen

My personal experience with gcard RMAs:evga: An RMA number was issued withing 24 hours of my first notification, a replacement was shipped the day they received my card and the replacement was a better card than the failed card (got a 8800 gts 512 in exchange for a 8800 gt that had a dual slot cooler).Asus: Received a replacement card after nearly 6 weeks of waiting with zero feedback from them, though the transaction was handled through the shop where I had purchased the custom built computer. Ended up buying a new card after 3 weeks of waiting and sold their replacement on e-bay. At least it too was a better card than the failed card but after 6 weeks of waiting that really didn't matter (other than I got a better price for it).The only Asus product I'll buy are their mobos (well maybe their monitors too), and even then I still cringe a bit at the thought of an RMA. I'd have gotten an evga mobo for my latest build if they made one with a feature set that fit my neeeds.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0, Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero, G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16, EVGA GTX 1070 SC, Noctua NH-D15S, Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU, WD Black SN750 M.2 1T (x2), Fractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor

I

"I´ll rather be down here wishing I was up there

than be up there wishing I was down here"

I've had too many problems with ASUS brand products. I highly recommend EVGA.
Does anyone know what about Gainward GPUs?

Best regards,
David Roch
Intel 9900K@4.9GHz, Asus Maximus XI Formula, 32Gb G.Skill Trident-Z 4133 CL17, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 3x SSD Samsung 970 Pro M.2, Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung curved 49" 4K TV monitor@30Hz.

Does anyone know what about Gainward GPUs?
As somebody posted up-thread, right now all of the nVidia 470/480 video cards are made in the same factory by nVidia and marketed by a variety of different vendors (eVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, and Gainward among others).The difference is in the support you get...I can't help with Gainward, but I'd look for their forums and see how (or if) they answer questions, google them looking for problems etc.I have experience with ASUS and eVGA support--ASUS required a largely self-help journey through a lot of Chinglish documentation on an unfriendly FTP server and virtually no vendor support. eVGA has active forums with vendor experts helping, they answer their phones, and their warranty response on my misbehaving 285 has been great...so much so I waited for one of their hard-to-find 480's to come into my sights rather than buy from another vendor earlier.I do understand that eVGA RMAs are a bit harder to deal with from outside the US/Canada/EU areas (mostly due to shipping/phone issues).CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Thanks to everyone who responded. Very helpful. I currently have a evga 9800 gtx card on RMA and I have been waiting for three weeks for it now. The RMA is through a local shop and not evga. I am going to drop that card into a new build specifcally for 55" LED tv. I orderd the evga gtx 480 sc from tigerdirect. I guess it is like sticking with the resturaunt where you know you are going to get a good meal.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

35%
    $8,760.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now