Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

BP=0 + PNW + Unlimited = Spikes, Glitches , etc ?

Background:Did a fresh install of Win7 x64 and FSX Accel. Updated FSX.CFG with Bojote's tweaks as summarized by David.Thanks for all the work guys!Noticed unlimited frame rate and UsePools=0 worked great in NY City.Amazing framerate and smooth with very dense autogenIssue:Impressed, so then I installed PNW and tried a flight in the mountains.OH NO... black screens pauses, flashing white ground textures, flashing spikes from ground to sky, when panning, turning etc.....Any suggestions would be great, my system specs are below.Read the threads and seen spikes mentioned a few times but not a clear solution, some say they gave up on UsePools=0, others set a FSX framerate limit, or used an external limiter, others say a gtx480 is needed?Whats the Bojote recommended solution here, love to solve it as PNW looks amazing and my frame rate was in the 70's ?I hope its not a gtx480, thrown enough money at FSX over the years, but if that is a proven winner just might try one,but hoping for a cheaper solution :)System: i7 920 @3.8GHz 6GB Ram GTX280Software: Fresh install of Win7 x64, latest nVidia drivers, FSX Accel and PNW only.FSX.CFG Tweaks:[bufferPools]UsePools=0[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1 [JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14....

Any suggestions would be great, my system specs are below.
This was taken from the pinned guide:When you 'fly' in FSX, each 'frame' its like a 'photo' it contains certain objects and textures that need to be 'drawn' for EACH 'photo'. When you play this 'photos' in rapid succesion, say, for example 25 'photos' per second, the perceived sensation is that you are 'moving' at 25 frames per second. FPS = Frames per Second, each 'frame' is the 'photo' I'm talking about.So, the above is VERY important to take into account, because in FSX, all operations! terrain rendering, object batching etc occur at the single 'frame' level... what does that mean to you? I means, the HIGHER the frames, the MORE work FSX needs to do.. so, say for example, that you run your SIM at 30 FPS and you like it.. but, then someone got into your head the idea that if its not 60 FPS then it is NOT real, well.. from 30 to 60 FSX will DOUBLE the ammount of things that it needs to do! so, don't be surprised when you start seening a christmas tree and strange spikes coming from the ground :).. I won't get into the 'FPS eye perceived thing' that has plaged our forums since day 1. run the sim at the FPS you like! I personally, got USED to run at 25, and let me tell you its perfectly fine to me.. because I got USED TO IT.. I hated it, but after a week, you simply 'adjust' your eyes to

Thanks for the reply and all your efforts here .Sorry I'm still not clear, are you saying I should use FSX to limit the frames to 25 or 30 and not use unlimited frames in the sim?I was under the impression that using Unlimited in FSX with no vsync was one of the suggested tweaks.Having vsync off works fine as long as I used unlimited frames in FSX.When I use FSX to lock the frames at 30, it solves the PNW glitches, but then the lack of vsync shows its issues?

Use Vsync for one and turn down your sliders for Orbx's PNW. Orbx's scenery in general applies more autogen than anything available. The spikes are from overloading your system (too much autogen). The flashing ground textures can be from overloading your sytem as well but more than likely are due to the use of BP=0 and not setting your water to 2x high. You should be locking your frames as well when using BP=0, either via FSX or while using the FPS_Limiter which ever works better for you.Regards,Bob

Use Vsync for one and turn down your sliders for Orbx's PNW. Orbx's scenery in general applies more autogen than anything available. The spikes are from overloading your system (too much autogen). The flashing ground textures can be from overloading your sytem as well but more than likely are due to the use of BP=0 and not setting your water to 2x high. You should be locking your frames as well when using BP=0, either via FSX or while using the FPS_Limiter which ever works better for you.Regards,Bob
Thanks Bob, all you said held true with my setup.If I end up locking at 30 within FSX with vsync on, and I need to turn water to 2x high to minimize flashing,seems a similar result to where I use to get without BP=0.What tweak setup are you using? BP=0 or other, FSX to limit or unlimited/FPS limiter,how did adding a 480 change things for you?

I had exactly the same problem with PNW, using BP=0 and unlimited frames. What sorted it out for me was to use a second GTX285 and enable SLI.It is true that SLI with FSX made things worse, but with BP=0 things improve using SLI. I get a few extra frames but with no spikes, glitches and texture flashing and all the smoothness remains. I did not have to have my water setting on high 2x using this method.If you don't already have a second card, maybe the Nvidia 400 series route is the way to go.

Stephen Munn

I have a GTX480 and use a completely *untweaked* fsx.cfg. I get a locked 60FPS over PNW and a beta of our upcoming 3W5 Concrete Muni. Unlocked it's 150+ FPS. I have zero flashes, spikes, squares or any other artifacts. I have all sliders maxxed except water is 2.X High. I am using the 197.41 WHQL drivers for the 400 series.I do not use any fsx.cfg tweaks except those that remove the red texts. You are better off deleting fsx.cfg and leaving it as ACES intended it to be.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Let me do a quick recap.When using BP=0 make sure that you lock fps to 25 or 30, enable vsync, move water to High 2, and reduce AG to Normal or Dense.If you want to raise your AG and or fps using BP=0, then buy a gtx 480.I'm using nhancer with HQ and 32aa. FSX has never looked or performed better.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest Zorg_DK
If you want to raise your AG and or fps using BP=0, then buy a gtx 480.
A 5870 does the trick as well. I have great results with high autogen, unlimited frames, BF=0, *******'s Shader 3.0 mod.

Guest AvioPyric

Hi Jackcnd I have same problem in past day. It occur when fly in simple scenery ( not complex , less autogen ) and Framerate excess more than 100 . I have many solution. 1. Used Direct X 10 preview 2. Turn Ground shadow ON 3. Select Aircraft cast shadow on itseft in settingmenu Select Only one choice that you happy , because you will lost mimimal fps for solutionjust try..

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I've got a bit of a problem with some of the reasoning I hear regarding framerates and the framelock in FS and its a problem I've had pretty much right from day one in FS9. Its the notion that running the frame lock in FS at unlimited will cuase the sim to start doing all sorts of crazy stuff like texture corruption in an effort to maintain a higher framerate. (I should note that my thoughts here have nothing to do with FSX specifically as I don't even have FSX - its more a general "logic" issue with regard to the frame limiter.) When you set the frame limiter in FS to "unlimited" you are not telling the sim to do whatever it takes to maintain some huge framerate. All you are doing is not setting a manual limit on the framerate. The sim is still limited - by your hardware config. If your system is able to run the sim at 60, 80, 100, 1000 fps then thats what it will do. It won't "try" and run the sim at 1000 fps when in fact its only capable of 30fps thus cuasing all sorts of horrendous corruption. Simply put, that makes no sense. The framelimiter is advantageous in a case where you are having wild variations in framerate - you can set the limit at some resonable average in order to limit variation and eliminate stutters. If you are experiencing texture corruption then I'd say there is something else going on (such as a cooling issue with yr vidcard) that needs to be resolved that really has nothing to do with unlocking the framerate in FS. Thats not to say limiting the framerate won't improve the situation of course, but it won't resolve the root cuase of the problem.If "unlimited" does operate the way some seem to think, then could you explain to me the actual logic of how that might function? If setting the framelimiter to "unlimited" tells the sim "I want you to do whatever it takes including frying my gpu in order to achieve a high framerate" then why have I after years of running unlimited in FS9 had no texture corruption issues at all ever? When I run unlimited, I get generally somewhere between 35 fps at the highest scenery dense locales up to say 100fps or so over low detail areas. If I lock the framerate at say 60fps, then I get 35 fps over high density and 60 over low density. If unlimited is an instruction to the sim to start dropping detail in favor of fps then why don't I see say 100fps everywhere with a notable lack of autogen, blurry textures and so forth over those higher density areas? If unlimited tells the sim to shoot for the moon in regards to framerate, then how does the sim know when to stop? Why don't I see 500fps and bare green and white textures when I set it to unlimited? 1000fps? I get the feeling sometimes that this comes down to your personal "philosophy" regarding framerates. The "anti-fps" crowd vs the "high fps" crowd. Some folks get very upset if you suggest that the sim actually feels and looks better at 60fps than it does at 24fps. They'll tell you that if movies only need 24fps then why should the game.

If "unlimited" does operate the way some seem to think, then could you explain to me the actual logic of how that might function?
I believe the texture problems arise when BP sets set to 0 and the hardware cannot keep up with the settings.The Bufferpools are an insulation layer beween the CPU and GPU. You get higher performancewithout them, but you are running the risk of texture corruption.Capping fps at a lower level keeps the system from misbehaving.FS9 simply does not have the level of texture loading that FSX has, especially when adding scenery like PNW.

Bert

Guest Zevious Zoquis
I believe the texture problems arise when BP sets set to 0 and the hardware cannot keep up with the settings.The Bufferpools are an insulation layer beween the CPU and GPU. You get higher performancewithout them, but you are running the risk of texture corruption.Capping fps at a lower level keeps the system from misbehaving.FS9 simply does not have the level of texture loading that FSX has, especially when adding scenery like PNW.
fair enough, but then that may be why Aces didn't set BP at 0 right? I mean sure if you change the cfg so that it does crazy things, then limiting the framerate may be a necessity. But thats not really an issue with unlocking the framerate per se, its a problem arising from altering the sims cfg so that it does something it maybe wasn't intended to do...

fair enough, but then that may be why Aces didn't set BP at 0 right? I mean sure if you change the cfg so that it does crazy things, then limiting the framerate may be a necessity. But thats not really an issue with unlocking the framerate per se, its a problem arising from altering the sims cfg so that it does something it maybe wasn't intended to do...
At the point when ACES developed FSX, there were NO tools you could test those settings on. The hardware was simply inadequate. Now that we have machines that can cope with those settings, I'm sure if ACES were still here, we would have either, a new FS version or at least a SP to address those possibilities. But since they are gone, we are left with any chance we get. And I say only thank ******* for his findings, they are nothing short of miracle for those who have the HP...