Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Re: NGX impending release: Are we there yet?

LOL! Where did you get that photo? It really shows the detail of the NGX.
Pretty sure it came from the first one, "Dirt on the NGX" or something. I uploaded my whole gallery to Picasa. No log-in required.https://picasaweb.go...Nz5z7i_v8SOkQE#ADD: I took all the photos off of the first post of each of the topics I don't already have and uploaded them. There is now as complete a set as anyone other than PMDG has. Edited by yos233

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

That pic was the first one Vic ever showed us. It was back a yr ago.
That was already one year ago? Wow, time's running really fast, I could swear it would only be about a few month ago, but yes if you mention it now... At least that makes waiting easier :(

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

I'm actually the one that brought that up several months ago. At the time, the response was "I think we may just do this", but I have see no further mention or confirmation.Granted, others may argue that this indication isn't realistic. However, it's also not realistic to have throttles that don't move with the autothrottle.
Well. How realistic is your simulator is controlled by yourself. You can make it more realistic by purchasing an motorized throttle. Personally I don't really like faked gauge.

Well. How realistic is your simulator is controlled by yourself. You can make it more realistic by purchasing an motorized throttle. Personally I don't really like faked gauge.
I'm very much a stickler for realism, and after some thought I agree it wouldn't be ideal to see this kind of "cheat" depicted visually on the engine gauges. But if it makes the transition easier for some, it may not be a bad idea to implement it, and only if it is an option that the user can decide if they want to toggle on or off.I have the PMDG 747, and listed below is my "process" for managing the throttle situation when flaring before touchdown. This is my procedure for ILS/Visual hand flying after I shut off the autopilot at minimums or above (which is 99% of my flying in the queen, I seldom do CATIII autolands)- Around minimums or 100 ft agl, I move my CH products throttle all the way to idle.- At 30 ft, I pitch up 2 degrees, and press two separate throttle buttons to 1.) Disconnect a/t 2.) Press the F1 key to ensure that I really get idle thrust. It's cumbersome for me to press the button to simulate the F1 keypress, but I found I have to do it because even if my hardware throttle is idle, FSX seems to think its not really idle and as a result reverse thrust won't work. I am going to test out landing without hitting the F1 key, and leaving the throttles in a low position (instead of full idle) when I disable A/T, so that I can accomplish the procedure more naturally/realistically . I'm hoping its similar to when the autopilot is disabled where the a/c remembers what the last set trim value is when I return to the manual control of the yoke, I'd really like to remove one more step from the process during a critical time. If that works nicely, the option of a cheat gauge may not be as important for me anymore with the NGX!

- Around minimums or 100 ft agl, I move my CH products throttle all the way to idle.- At 30 ft, I pitch up 2 degrees, and press two separate throttle buttons to 1.) Disconnect a/t 2.) Press the F1 key to ensure that I really get idle thrust.
I don't get it. Why don't you just use the throttle manually throughout the whole landing procedure? Is this a special procedure?Rob Belach

I'm very much a stickler for realism, and after some thought I agree it wouldn't be ideal to see this kind of "cheat" depicted visually on the engine gauges. But if it makes the transition easier for some, it may not be a bad idea to implement it, and only if it is an option that the user can decide if they want to toggle on or off.
My understanding is this would be a momentary display - triggered by maybe moving the throttles or by a key press - I don't think that PMDG would impliment a perminent display on this product for this feature...but who knows - guess we'll all know in a little while. I personally think it's a great idea - well done Eric :)C

...You can make it more realistic by purchasing an motorized throttle...
Ture, but that is very expensive and many of us don't have the money necessary to do that. Sometimes you have to make compromises. After all, I could make it most realistic by going and getting a 737NG type rating, but that isn't about to happen.Eric Szczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

I don't get it. Why don't you just use the throttle manually throughout the whole landing procedure? Is this a special procedure?Rob Belach
I agree Rob. I disconnect the A/T at the same time as I disconnect the AP - about 1200 feet AGL. So I don't have the problem.Iain Smith

Maybe one of the companies like CH or Thrustmaster (or someone inventive) might be interested in filling the gap between the "standard" yoke with throttle etc and the ultra-expensive motorized throttles mentioned before? Sort of yoke/throttle like CH's but motorized? Just an idea.... Instead of 3000 bucks approx. like 300-500?

I agree Rob. I disconnect the A/T at the same time as I disconnect the AP - about 1200 feet AGL. So I don't have the problem.Iain Smith
I do the same, but would still like to be able to match the hardware and software position. Even with 1200' to go, having the engines spool up or down rapidly to meet the hardware position, even for just an instant, can unsettle what is otherwise a stable approach.

Eric Szczesniak

Guest Tamadeez

I hope this throttle sync Display is implemented. It's basically for the most critical stage of flight and it's a genius idea.

Pretty sure it came from the first one, "Dirt on the NGX" or something. I uploaded my whole gallery to Picasa. No log-in required.https://picasaweb.go...Nz5z7i_v8SOkQE#ADD: I took all the photos off of the first post of each of the topics I don't already have and uploaded them. There is now as complete a set as anyone other than PMDG has.
Cheers!

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

- Around minimums or 100 ft agl, I move my CH products throttle all the way to idle.- At 30 ft, I pitch up 2 degrees, and press two separate throttle buttons to 1.) Disconnect a/t 2.) Press the F1 key to ensure that I really get idle thrust.
It is normally not a good idea to have autothrottle on while hand-flying because of the effects of thrust on pitch. As you raise the nose, the autothrottle will increase power and cause the nose to pitch up even more and vice versa.The problem you are having here is that you are putting your hardware throttle in idle prior to disconnecting the A/T. The idle position is a null zone and FS won't be detecting any input in this position, thus the software throttle will remain in the last position (where the A/T left it). You need to have the throttle slightly forward before disconnecting the A/T or the throttle position won't be recognised.Cheers,Nick Jones

I was under the impression that the autothrottle does a better job of managing the speed on approach, or at least my approach with the a/t on until flare is a compromise I accept for the simple reason that FSX is a fixed 2d environment, without any sense of speed and motion. I'm sure real world pilots disconnect the a/t when hand flying, but it's going to be easier for them to manage the speed correctly because they can physically feel the throttle adjustments. As for myself, I don't have the coordination skills to manage both the throttle and yoke on the final, and even if I did it would be very difficult to practice in FSX without the necessary sensory stimuli. I have my attention focused out the window aiming for the touchdown spot and I don't want to mess up the approach speed by not applying the right amount of thrust, I'd rather have the autothrottle handle that task for me, that is what it's designed to do. I can then compensate for thrust adjustments commanded by the a/t by trimming or subtle commands on the yoke.I understand that in gusty wind conditions, its recommended to manually control the throttles, but this is FSX........I have gusts disabled in because they are not simulated accurately (along with turbulence, to avoid the dreaded S-turns). It may be a little unrealistic to keep the a/t active until flare, but I have to take advantage of the assist by the automatics since there is only so much one person can do in the sim, and I accept that tradeoff. I may practice some landings with manual throttle just to see what it's like, I have experience with this scenario in GA aircraft of course, and the ERJ-145 which has no autothrottle.I now recognize the error in my logic of having the hardware throttle at idle, and that FSX reads that position as a null value and hence the reason reverse thrust wouldn't work. I'm going to try the throttles halfway or forward of the idle instead, I'm sure that will work much nice during the flare.